[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Very not possible :) 
They are connected.
The decoupler is built into the SM, it is non-staged to prevent accidents.
Sketchfab
Gemini Spacecraft by beale on Sketchfab
b9d9a6a179.jpgd2a196030d.jpg6de954f4df.jpg

1 hour ago, Beale said:

I worry a separate heatshield would mess-up sizing and overall profile of the craft, how do you propose alternate? :) 
If the player removes the Ablator from the fore part in the Big-G configuration, it should be fine.
I just don't have the know-how to keep it updated, sorry!
The Gemini is planned for inclusion into BDB. :) 
A little more SM detail. It's very plain, but so was the real thing. It should look better with RCS components.
64ce224687.jpg

Heat shield: I would definitely leave it as integrated. This doesn't conflict with the Big G, as there was a hatch in the heat shield. As stated, just removing the ablator should do the trick. 
RCS: For RCS parts, are you creating them, or letting users use the existing BDB RCS parts? 
Service Module: 

• Good choice to abandon the Kapton/Mylar/MLI. Wait for PBR.
  • Have you attempted to fashion a primitive convex collider for the rear of the service module? I'd like to be able to store stuff back there for EVA access. 
6 minutes ago, Beale said:

Of course! Just, keep in mind, the capsule is 1.5m - it will not connect well with any Tantares parts.

I'll be pushing out a TweakScale update that will alleviate some of this hopefully. :)

1 minute ago, IsimonZx said:

I had to reinstall TantaresLV today because is screwed up something (:blush:), and KerbalStuff is down.. what should I do?

You need to wait, the creator of KerbalStuff deleted the site, now all the modders who added files to the website will need to put them in another place. :(

Just now, Kaleaze said:

You need to wait, the creator of KerbalStuff deleted the site, now all the modders who added files to the website will need to put them in another place. :(

It's a shame... it was a really good website... R.I.P kerbalstuff:(

21 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Heat shield: I would definitely leave it as integrated. This doesn't conflict with the Big G, as there was a hatch in the heat shield. As stated, just removing the ablator should do the trick. 
RCS: For RCS parts, are you creating them, or letting users use the existing BDB RCS parts? 
Service Module: 

• Have you attempted to fashion a primitive convex collider for the rear of the service module? I'd like to be able to store stuff back there for EVA access. 

I'll be pushing out a TweakScale update that will alleviate some of this hopefully. :)

What was the purpose of the empty space in the back of the SM? Just because of adapter limitations or what?

And yes, I suppose if removing the ablator resource in the VAB makes everything function normally I have no further complaints.

@Jso made some wonderful custom tweakscale configs for BDB that you might want to take a look at.

3 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

kerbal stuff is being revived with a new domain name. they are still building it this is only a few hours old. @Beale never upload to curse if you can help it. Everyone lets just be patient and the new site should be up in a day or two.

so... un-R.I.P KerbalStuff ?

Keep discussion of KERBALSTUFF, CURSE, and CKAN to their respective forum topics. 

In other words, don't make me call a moderator. I'm being proactive before things get off the rails here. 
Beale will host wherever is convenient for him to host. End of discussion. 

40 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

What was the purpose of the empty space in the back of the SM? Just because of adapter limitations or what?
And yes, I suppose if removing the ablator resource in the VAB makes everything function normally I have no further complaints.
@Jso made some wonderful custom tweakscale configs for BDB that you might want to take a look at.

There were multiple uses. It usually held an experiment. One mission held a prototype EVA MMU actually.
I'll give the config a look-see. How does Agena scale relative to Beale's Gemini at the moment?

20 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

There were multiple uses. It usually held an experiment. One mission held a prototype EVA MMU actually.

I'll give the config a look-see. How does Agena scale relative to Beale's Gemini at the moment?

It's 1.25m. I believe you wanted it scaled to 0.9375m but that felt too small. EDIT: Though, that was not in relation to Gemini. So there's that. During my tests modeling the Agena docking port (note this doesn't actually exist in game yet, it was modeled when I was working on MOL) 1.25m looked/felt pretty ok.

Do you have links to any info on the experiments? Sounds like something that might be ripe for adding using DMSA's features like EVA only experiments. Some EVA only experiments perhaps? I know @N3h3mia had a mod based on Gemini experiments. It was somewhat cleverly limited to only bring two experiments per flight, from a total of something like five, so that you couldn't bring them all in one flight.

Edited by CobaltWolf

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's 1.25m. I believe you wanted it scaled to 0.9375m but that felt too small. EDIT: Though, that was not in relation to Gemini. So there's that. During my tests modeling the Agena docking port (note this doesn't actually exist in game yet, it was modeled when I was working on MOL) 1.25m looked/felt pretty ok.

FWIW, I've been testing some 0.9375 scale configs for the Agena lately and am liking it. I've been meaning to mention it so now might be a good time to bring that up.

46 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Do you have links to any info on the experiments? Sounds like something that might be ripe for adding using DMSA's features like EVA only experiments. Some EVA only experiments perhaps? I know @N3h3mia had a mod based on Gemini experiments. It was somewhat cleverly limited to only bring two experiments per flight, from a total of something like five, so that you couldn't bring them all in one flight.

The 0.9375m number assumed a 1.5m Gemini. I included a scaled mockup of Agena for Beale, just because I could. 

9d57e72519.png

It looks large, but that's really the size that it should be. You'll need to figure out how it works with Atlas though... You may need a 0.9375m adapter for Atlas, if you don't already.

On experiments, there was the experimental MMU, I believe there were some exposed payloads, but I'd have to look. They also attached a tether to Agena, and did some orbital ballet. I'll have to check. Making a convex collision mesh for that section so you can stuff equipment back there will be a pain, and it will also make symmetry and surface attachment back there possible, but frustrating. Not sure how to handle it really...

9 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I have a copy of Tantares and Tantares LV locally, can I redistribute them?  I'd host it on google drive, and only share it to this thread, with a link to this thread and a link to the license. 

I would not do this. No one is in that much need to get their hands on the add-on right now. Just please be patient, and wait for Beale to get things running again. 

Edited by curtquarquesso

3 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Service Module: 

For RCS, I'm going to create them, yeah :) 

For colliders, not sure how to do it.

For Tweakscale, excellent! Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

@Beale Are you planning on making an IVA for Gemini?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Alright, thanks. :)

21 minutes ago, flamerboy67664 said:

Beale and To whom it may concern

I am here to inform you that KerbalStuff has shut down. (Officially)

Going to fix it soon :) 

Gemini Beta

Very, very rough configs, place in Tantares/Parts/GEMINI

Let me know feedback and config suggestions :) 

What is needed:

• Manually export DDS texture (Converter mangles fine detail on Gemini texture)
  • Balance everything
  • RCS

2f0da68059.jpg
3e67c5df79.jpg
7375a432f4.jpg
3f3c801039.jpg
eda25db498.jpg

Edited by Beale

21 minutes ago, Beale said:

For RCS, I'm going to create them, yeah :) 
For Tweakscale, excellent! Many thanks!
Gemini Beta
Very, very rough configs, place in Tantares/Parts/GEMINI

Let me know feedback and config suggestions :) 

What is needed:

• Manually export DDS texture (Converter mangles fine detail on Gemini texture)
  • Balance everything
  • RCS

2f0da68059.jpg3e67c5df79.jpg7375a432f4.jpg3f3c801039.jpg

Absolutely fantastic. Glad to see it flying. :)

I'll check the configs, and see how it plays. On the windows, I think they could definitely stand to have some subtle light probes near them to illuminate the window area. On a related note, how did you model the window grooves? That's always stumped me...

42 minutes ago, flamerboy67664 said:

Beale and To whom it may concern
I am here to inform you that KerbalStuff has shut down. (Officially)

Which part of:

2 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Keep discussion of KERBALSTUFF, CURSE, and CKAN to their respective forum topics. 

In other words, don't make me call a moderator. I'm being proactive before things get off the rails here. 

did you not understand? I've called for a mod to do some clean up here as seen fit. Do people even read previous replies before posting? Apologies in advance. I hate being rude...

Edited by curtquarquesso

18 minutes ago, Beale said:

Take a look at my proton blend file, on the second layer from the left in the top row of layers, you will see many colliders named "Stage2_Collider_Top.XXX".  Or import the Spaceplane-Cargobays from squad using the .mu importer. This is the (one) way to do it. Basically you have to build a bigger non-convex shape out of smaller, convex colliders.

7 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Absolutely fantastic. Glad to see it flying. :)

I'll check the configs, and see how it plays. On the windows, I think they could definitely stand to have some subtle light probes near them to illuminate the window area. On a related note, how did you model the window grooves? That's always stumped me.

Thanks! 

Light probes: yes!

Window grooves: boolean operations, with some manual tweaking afterwards.

4 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

Take a look at my proton blend file, on the second layer from the left in the top row of layers, you will see many colliders named "Stage2_Collider_Top.XXX".  Or import the Spaceplane-Cargobays from squad using the .mu importer. This is the (one) way to do it. Basically you have to build a bigger non-convex shape out of smaller, convex colliders.

I'll take a look thanks!

Gemini-Blue Streak... bah... I'll do you one better!

jedLpJQ.png

God ol' American engineering! Something you Europeans won't quite understand. :P

I'm kidding thanks for the Gemini

Update:

The Titan II GLV from BDB doesn't have enough Delta V to get into orbit on HSS x3, so I didn't get into orbit, then I realized that one of my mods broke the parachute so it all ended in disaster, but jeez did it look nice. Thanks Beale! :)

Update 2:

The texture on the CM looks a lot lighter than the parachute and the RCS and such. Is that supposed to happen?

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Tested out the gemini beta. Flies great, but had trouble landing. Tried a few descent angles, and it seems like the aerodynamic drag doesn't slow it down enough to pop the 'chute until about 1500m, resulting in about a 50% parachute-line-snap rate (even waiting for the safe indicator).

Might need to give the capsule a little more drag.