[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 9/16/2019 at 8:17 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

I understand (mostly). I bet the announcement of KSP2 must've sucked a lot more for you than it did for me, and of course Tantares is one of the oldest consistently maintained mods in the history of KSP, I can understand wanting to move on after so many years. The one thing I don't fully understand is why you decided to end so abruptly (only a couple of months ago you were hyping us all up with potential rockets), and still with so much more potential for the mod (Rockot, UR700, Tsyklon, more Mir-2 stuff, Priroda experiments, FGB RCS, Voskhod, just to name a few). It really is a huge shame, I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about what could've been.

I will be praying for that day, and I'm not even religious!

D'awww, it was going so well! Might I request the assets, please?

It's worth saying of course, that Tantares is of an open licence, and all the assets can be found on my Github, so this doesn't have to be the end if somebody picks it up and runs with it, they can remix and rerelease whatever they wish.
Yes, there was a lot on the cards before the KSP2 announcement, I am a little saddened that some will not be finished (Thinking about some little things I might make as a finishing touch to be released).

For the assets, sure thing:

https://github.com/Tantares/GemstoneLV_Assets/tree/master/H-II

On 9/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, curtquarquesso said:

@Beale, wish I had more time to invest in KSP and in this development of Tantares. This thread holds a lot of great memories for me, honestly. Best of luck if you ever start to develop Tantares for KSP2 one day. 

I remember taking a few stabs at PBR way back when. Good times...

j8wYmQ.png

Many thanks my man!

I remember these very well, they still hold up! I wonder how things would look today if we got PBR back then.

Alright, a solid plan for what I am making now (travelling for work gives you a lot of time to think about this...), for "finishing touches" no more big projects so I want to address some lingering must haves and small projects that never were finished:

1. Briz and Briz KM

2. (Following that) Rokot is a small amount of effort for a nice launcher.

2a. Start is on the cards if I have an SRB itch, but seriously no promises.

3. Provide an "official" RCS setup for FGB crafts, not necessary historically accurate, but easy to use and centre of mass effective.

4. Finally, Salyut 6 & 7 hulls, the aft section is what is really missing.

5. Final balancing pass (give me all of your complaints please) and some more obvious variant themes that are currently missing.

11 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Any chance of that cool little window piece that sits on one side of the orbital module getting made? I know there's a very old mod out that had that, but the textures don't match up anymore.

Curt made a great part for this little window, and I would like to replicate it, but the issue of attachment makes it a little tricky. Ideally it would be part of the OM mesh. If we have a Soyuz in KSP 2 I would expect to include that.

Any ideas for attachment more easily / other ideas let me know.

10 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Maybe simple IVAs for the parts that don't have them yet. They need not be the most intricate thing, just something you can actually see instead of the black placeholders. I know, no small thing to ask, but it would bring a lot of 'closure'.

There's currently 27 parts with a "black void" IVA - and some are fairly complex (e.g. the Almaz aft module) So I'm not sure it's feasible to do all of those without external help (If you're volunteering though... :wink: )

Others like the Rassvet could be made fairly simple - but I don't really know who wants an IVA for that.

(Keep in mind, even the most "simple" IVAs tend to take 3~ hours to make - That's 3 and a 1/3rd days of non stop IVA work to complete this).

Edited by Beale

14 hours ago, Beale said:

Alright, a solid plan for what I am making now (travelling for work gives you a lot of time to think about this...), for "finishing touches" no more big projects so I want to address some lingering must haves and small projects that never were finished:

1. Briz and Briz KM

2. (Following that) Rokot is a small amount of effort for a nice launcher.

2a. Start is on the cards if I have an SRB itch, but seriously no promises.

3. Provide an "official" RCS setup for FGB crafts, not necessary historically accurate, but easy to use and centre of mass effective.

4. Finally, Salyut 6 & 7 hulls, the aft section is what is really missing.

5. Final balancing pass (give me all of your complaints please)

Omg it's like christmas, marry me Beale!

15 hours ago, Beale said:

Alright, a solid plan for what I am making now (travelling for work gives you a lot of time to think about this...), for "finishing touches" no more big projects so I want to address some lingering must haves and small projects that never were finished:.....

That a really happy news !

For Those IVA, what you think of a generic IVA for most of them ?

6 hours ago, Well said:

For Those IVA, what you think of a generic IVA for most of them ?

One thing I like about the black voids is that they follow the profile of the outside shape, so if it was possible to combine that + generic IVAs it could be interesting.

I will have a think about it,

Briz-M minor works.

oWFn2Ym.png
rWbsvFB.png
5IWyjAX.jpg

Edited by Beale

On 9/20/2019 at 5:08 AM, Beale said:

(If you're volunteering though... :wink:

I wish I had the ability for that, believe me. Is there any good walkthroug for that somewhere that you could recomend?

I downloaded blender and always planned to teach myself part creation. There are several guides online which seem good. But now that ksp2 was announced, I have postponed that goal - as a lot of people must have, I imagine....

12 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

I wish I had the ability for that, believe me. Is there any good walkthroug for that somewhere that you could recomend?

I downloaded blender and always planned to teach myself part creation. There are several guides online which seem good. But now that ksp2 was announced, I have postponed that goal - as a lot of people must have, I imagine....

Unfortunately no tutorials out there *just* for IVA, but the process is usually:

1. Take the outer model and invert it, remove external parts.
  2. Sculpt the interior (This part I find difficult, the new LK is probably my best work on this).
  3. Cut holes for the windows (Usually I do this by bridging the inverted outer windows to the interior).
  4. Add the masking for the exterior (This defines part of the external model that will be displayed above the IVA when you enable the cutaway mode)

All my models are free for any use on Github
https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares_Assets

lIdZE92.png

After that, there is the Unity part, which is... :(

I'm sure you can get an idea of what a huge pain in the ass this is :D

9OlatQ6.png

Edited by Beale

TantaresLV 12.0

I think a bunch of people never thought they would see this...

• Briz-M.
  • Minor tweaks to stats.

Building the Briz should be fairly easy, but the order of construction is:

22DrmT7.png

9aW9OfY.png1pVcgOL.png

More variants of Briz will come with the Rokot.

I'm next going to look at the Salyut and TKS items.

Once again, if you have any balance gripes, last chance to fix this!

G2Jb8UV.png
aM8VqHA.png

Edited by Beale

On 9/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, KerbalKore said:

re: Balance

could the RCS be available a bit earlier? For those of us who use a reaction wheel nerf, RCS is a lot more useful. If not all the RCS available earlier, than maybe some of the RCS available earlier.

Thanks, noted.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, kopapaka said:

screenshot155.jpg?ver=0

That's not Kerbin :ph34r:
Nice! I like the micro stations a lot.

Speaking of stations...

dmzlM99.png
osjNrpa.png
hAEPKfV.png
cbfCyfQ.png

Edited by Beale

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Salyut 7 progress - I didn't think 1. that the other parts would be required but... maybe. I'm enjoying this one.
dette er en romstasjon og også en vakker genser

Looking nice!
Do you think you could include the X-ray telescope as an experiment or something, and Salyut 7-style solar panels? Pleeeease?

6 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Looking nice!
Do you think you could include the X-ray telescope as an experiment or something, and Salyut 7-style solar panels? Pleeeease?

Considering both. As well as the fore section.

What would people prefer,  another fore section, or a Salyut 6 skin (Solid red)?