[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

English pls? *cough cough* I mean, in layman's terms?

Ah :)

Ehm, basically something like "Pixels per metres".

So I have a 1 metre cube face and I plaster 100x100 pixels across it.

It is not so much a matter if it is high or low (But not too low), but you would really like it if the texel density is more or less the same across parts.

Yeah the ATV ! Great job Beale ! :)

Thanks! :)

That actually kinda confirms the fears...

It means I gotta either rotate the pod 45 degrees which will make launch or controlling the vessel from that point in general tricky or I gotta rotate all other pods, labs, and crew cans attached to it to that angle. Also there is little point in flying with a 45degree hatch over a 90degree hatch so everyone is going to rotate their parts to line up anyway so at that point why not save everyone the time in the editor and put it at the normal angle?

Ah, not so good :(

Ehm, but the main difference here is that the Mk1-2 pod has it at an odd angle, so nothing will naturally "snap" to it. This part is different, where it fits with the natural 5 degree increments the editor offers.

We shall see when put in game how it feels.

I see your point if you want to build something that's not an ATV.

It means I gotta either rotate the pod 45 degrees which will make launch or controlling the vessel from that point in general tricky or I gotta rotate all other pods, labs, and crew cans attached to it to that angle. Also there is little point in flying with a 45degree hatch over a 90degree hatch so everyone is going to rotate their parts to line up anyway so at that point why not save everyone the time in the editor and put it at the normal angle?

Huh? Why must hatches all line up?

You do know you can fix that in the part.cfg? Beale was so kind to provide you with the correct angle, so all you have to do is change:

MODEL

{

model=OLDD/N-1/NK-43

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

scale = 0.544, 0.544, 0.544

rotation = 0, 0, 0

}

to:

MODEL

{

model=OLDD/N-1/NK-43

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

rotation = 45, 0, 0

}

or

MODEL

{

model=OLDD/N-1/NK-43

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

rotation = 0, 0, 45

}

Not quiet sure. Or even -45. Anyway, you can get that fixed easily.

Wow, nice!

It's a baby Soyuz! :D

You do know you can fix that in the part.cfg? Beale was so kind to provide you with the correct angle, so all you have to do is change:

MODEL

{

model=OLDD/N-1/NK-43

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

rotation = 0, 0, 0

}

to:

MODEL

{

model=OLDD/N-1/NK-43

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

rotation = 45, 0, 0

}

or

MODEL

{

model=OLDD/N-1/NK-43

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

rotation = 0, 0, 45

}

Not quiet sure. Or even -45. Anyway, you can get that fixed easily.

Yeah, this could be a nice workaround.

Rough draft of config:

MODEL
{
model = Tantares\Parts\ATV\Capella_Control_A\model
rotation = 0, 45, 0
}

should be all that is needed.

So, I think the new ATV engine, I will remove the docking tunnel, because:

• I think very few people, if any, use it.
  • It's kinda ugly (IMO)
  • With KerbalStuff, the old one is always available.
  • It will allow the engine to have a fairing.

7097943dbf.jpg

I really like the possibilities that the rear docking tunnel offered. Sad to see it go. Is the new ATV fuel tank the same size as the old one? In other words, would the old engine fit the new tank?

Edit: Well then we would also run into texture path conflicts. Easy to work around for an individual I suppose.

I really like the possibilities that the rear docking tunnel offered. Sad to see it go. Is the new ATV fuel tank the same size as the old one? In other words, would the old engine fit the new tank?

Yeah sure, it will all still be 2.5m, identical measurements, to be precise.

c750a75a70.jpg

I know some may not like the removal, but the points above - I've found its existence a bit frustrating in what it prevents.

Edit: Well then we would also run into texture path conflicts. Easy to work around for an individual I suppose.

No no, this should be no issue at all. The old ATV engine uses its own local texture.

So just place the old Capella_Engine_A folder in and rename the part's ID to Capella_Engine_thelbp for example :)

Beale,

0.90 is out

What is the status of your mod with it?

Whoah!

Slow down there son!

Ehm, haha.

At a quick guess "Everything should work".

Just like in 0.25, "Everything should have worked". That went great...

I need to check it out myself.

And er, thanks for informing me :)

(My download speed varies between about 70Kb/s and 190Kb/s, so this might take a while).

Edited by Beale

So, I think the new ATV engine, I will remove the docking tunnel, because:

• I think very few people, if any, use it.
  • It's kinda ugly (IMO)
  • With KerbalStuff, the old one is always available.
  • It will allow the engine to have a fairing.

http://puu.sh/dwb6e/7097943dbf.jpg

Since you're redoing the ATV, have you ever heard of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATV_CARV.JPG

It was a proposal to make a version of the ATV that can return large amounts of cargo to Earth in a return capsule instead of the pressurized compartment on standard ATVs. It could even be modified to dock at the US segment of the ISS so it could transfer International Standard Payload Racks to the station.

Since you're redoing the ATV, have you ever heard of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATV_CARV.JPG

It was a proposal to make a version of the ATV that can return large amounts of cargo to Earth in a return capsule instead of the pressurized compartment on standard ATVs. It could even be modified to dock at the US segment of the ISS so it could transfer International Standard Payload Racks to the station.

Cool!

Never heard of it.

I'm familiar with the CSTS

1024px-Euro-CTS-2008.jpg

But this is quite a different (And sleek) design!

I'll consider :)

Gonna check it soon after I make a stock Buran (I've waited since 0.21 for this!), Tantares is of too great importance for us!

8924b4b570.jpg

It's all working fine (Tantares I mean) as far as I can see.

Love everything, editor overhaul, new parts.

Even the new buildings, which have clearly had people's feedback listened to, they are quite nice (if not perfect).

I am keen to make that Buran concept, with the front-mounted tank (damn, what is the name...?)

637b338299.jpg

0.90 confirmed! Even in the new editor GUI your flag appeared among other manufacturer flags! Apparently, it uses the Agency folder for making the manufacturer tag so I'd recommend installing both mods in one "Tantares" folder.

It's all working fine (Tantares I mean) as far as I can see.

Love everything, editor overhaul, new parts.

Even the new buildings, which have clearly had people's feedback listened to, they are quite nice (if not perfect).

I am keen to make that Buran concept, with the front-mounted tank (damn, what is the name...?)

http://puu.sh/dwiTP/637b338299.jpg

It's called MAKS :)

My Buran ;):

W-obayliruc.jpg

0.90 confirmed! Even in the new editor GUI your flag appeared among other manufacturer flags! Apparently, it uses the Agency folder for making the manufacturer tag so I'd recommend installing both mods in one "Tantares" folder.

It's called MAKS :)

My Buran ;):

http://cs14111.vk.me/c621521/v621521511/3ff1/W-obayliruc.jpg

Brilliant! Thanks.

Ah, it is not a Buran after all.

But a perfect candidate for Mk2 parts.

Seriously cool Buran!

Edit: the flags! Launch vehicles need new agencies...

Edited by Beale

Yeah, this could be a nice workaround.

Rough draft of config:

MODEL
{
model = Tantares\Parts\ATV\Capella_Control_A\model
rotation = 0, 45, 0
}

should be all that is needed.

Worth a shot though how would this interact with the inevitable IVA? would the windows still line up? would the kerbal's view being rotated be disorienting? what if the hatch was a separate model that was welded on with its axis of rotation in the center of the craft? then a user could config it how they want without worrying about iva repercussions and if they get really creative they could slap this hatch weld on other parts.

That new ATV skin looks snazzy as heck, Beale. One thing that bothered me from the old ATV, though, was how glossy it was. Could I request that you consider making it a bit more matte? For smoother stockalike matchinks. Either way I'm using the dang out of it.

I had in mind a very small capacity, like 1 or 2 Kerbals squeezed between boxes. It's not "officially" for crew after all.
Out of curiosity are the kerbal's command chairs just gonna be cobbled together out of cardboard boxes?

EDIT: Antennas still have mass ;)

MM to the rescue!

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]
{
%PhysicsSignificance = 1
}

Edited by passinglurker

Huzzah for .90! Very glad Tantares is working just fine with it.

Also, the new ATV looks great; I love the little windows. I think two kerbals would be quite snug in there. That way you could string together a couple of ATVs to make a modular space station.

Worth a shot though how would this interact with the inevitable IVA? would the windows still line up? would the kerbal's view being rotated be disorienting? what if the hatch was a separate model that was welded on with its axis of rotation in the center of the craft? then a user could config it how they want without worrying about iva repercussions and if they get really creative they could slap this hatch weld on other parts.

Probably won't rotate the IVA (You can use MODEL{} nodes in the IVA config though).

It's a good idea, but...

There's the harsh mistress of AO to account for, if you want to rotate the hatch.

That soft shadow around the door, is not natural, but drawn on the texture.

5731e5b699.jpg

If you simply rotate the hatch, it looks, bleh..

f4abd9e7ee.jpg

Not to mention leaving the "baked in" shadow where the hatch used to be.

256b37d10f.jpg

Hope you understand :)

Here is Vostok-1 of 0.90! Oorah, kermrades! The road to space is opened! :)

http://imgur.com/a/iyOyw

ßþõхðûø !

I want to see the Buran launch (All the way to orbit), also! :wink:

(Only because I can barely get my shuttle 1 kilometre up)

FYI, Proc Fairings is borked (for now) in this update, so if you see your Soyuz rocket weird all of a sudden, just wait until an update comes out. (Tested using latest version of plugin)

I have noticed... ah well, to be expected.

That new ATV skin looks snazzy as heck, Beale. One thing that bothered me from the old ATV, though, was how glossy it was. Could I request that you consider making it a bit more matte? For smoother stockalike matchinks. Either way I'm using the dang out of it.

Thanks!

Yeah sure, erm, the metal parts will be remain shiny. The thermal coating this time, probably much less "latex" and more "fabric".

Out of curiosity are the kerbal's command chairs just gonna be cobbled together out of cardboard boxes?

EDIT: Antennas still have mass ;)

MM to the rescue!

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]
{
%PhysicsSignificance = 1
}

Nice idea! :)

The antennas are fixed, just haven't updated KerbalStuff yet (current version is still 0.25).

Edited by Beale

One small thing to consider for the next update.

Starting from 0.90, if you want your parts to appear in "Sort by Manufacturer" tab in the VAB\SPH, you need a matching agency. Currently, there is only Tantares Space Technologies - meaning that other parts will not appear there when one uses that sorting option.

So, either:

- add other agencies

- change manufacturer of all your parts to Tantares Space Technologies

- don't care, but be prepared for user wrath (mine included - I kinda like to use "manufactured by" rockets in my career to simulate competition between aerospace corporations - for example, taking your Proton and putting it against designs made entirely from Squad, NP and KW parts. That's fun!)

One small thing to consider for the next update.

Starting from 0.90, if you want your parts to appear in "Sort by Manufacturer" tab in the VAB\SPH, you need a matching agency. Currently, there is only Tantares Space Technologies - meaning that other parts will not appear there when one uses that sorting option.

So, either:

- add other agencies

- change manufacturer of all your parts to Tantares Space Technologies

- don't care, but be prepared for user wrath (mine included - I kinda like to use "manufactured by" rockets in my career to simulate competition between aerospace corporations - for example, taking your Proton and putting it against designs made entirely from Squad, NP and KW parts. That's fun!)

Semi-sorted out already :)

Basically, need to introduce a few new agencies (And required flags with them, sorry those who hate flag bloat!)

Tantares Manufacturers:

• Tantares Space Technologies - Already there
  • A-L-N-A-I-R - Flag + Agency Needed

Missing:

• Fuji Manufacturer (Japanese-y Name needed! Suggestions?)
  • ATV Manufacturer (European-y Name needed!)
  • Cygnus Manufacturer (American-y Name needed!)

Tantares LV Manufacturers:

• Kerunichev: ALV - Flag + Agency Needed
  • Tavio: TLV - Flag + Agency needed

If people have suggestions for flags or the names needed: I'm happy to hear them! :)

Edited by Beale

• ATV Manufacturer (European-y Name needed!)

Well, terrible puns on Arianespace (French), CRISA (Spanish) and/or Airbus (French) would be appropriate. Or offend both of these nations by going with something German.

Marianespace. KRISA. AirTram.

CRISA (they made ATV) got eaten by Astrium, which in turn got consumed by Airbus.

EDIT: Reading that, I realized that the obvious flag would be a fish eaten by a bigger fish, eaten by an even bigger fish.

Edited by ModZero