[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

New Instrument Module looks fantastic! I wonder though, if you are revamping Soyuz, are the solar panels getting a makeover as well? I think that they look fine as they are, but it would be cool if maybe you did the 7K-OK solar panels.

Arbitrary window views are perfectly possible (Try click the middle window "column" in the Mk2 pod). But, of course, the periscope would be a separate part, so it is less possible.

Infact, in the pre-rpm days, Bobcat did this kind of thing to add functionality to the Neptune console.

TIL! Exactly! What if clicking a specific area in the IVA, say, where the periscope viewer was brought the camera view to what the periscope view would look like, just outside the vessel?

For reference and just for fun, here's some great shots from Sam Cristoforetti (currently on station) of the periscope viewer. I had a surprisingly difficult time finding any worthwhile shots of the periscope viewer. https://plus.google.com/photos/+SamanthaCristoforetti/albums/5695984652501726737

Here's a nice closeup of the actual periscope outside the vessel: http://www.nasa.gov/content/soyuz-periscope/

but it would be cool if maybe you did the 7K-OK solar panels.

+1 for 7K-OK panels!

What are those things on the side of the HAMAL core? Batteries?

Da.

New Instrument Module looks fantastic! I wonder though, if you are revamping Soyuz, are the solar panels getting a makeover as well? I think that they look fine as they are, but it would be cool if maybe you did the 7K-OK solar panels.

Everythings getting a makeover :)

7K-OK panels are cool yeah. They are un-symmetrical though. If you mean just the generic "crinkly" design, then I think so maybe. Eh, it will be experiment.

Hopefully all solar panels in Tantares will gradually move to share a single "solar" texture, which will be a huge improvement over current (Seriously, so many megabytes dedicated to blue cells, it's horrific).

TIL! Exactly! What if clicking a specific area in the IVA, say, where the periscope viewer was brought the camera view to what the periscope view would look like, just outside the vessel?

For reference and just for fun, here's some great shots from Sam Cristoforetti (currently on station) of the periscope viewer. I had a surprisingly difficult time finding any worthwhile shots of the periscope viewer. https://plus.google.com/photos/+SamanthaCristoforetti/albums/5695984652501726737

Here's a nice closeup of the actual periscope outside the vessel: http://www.nasa.gov/content/soyuz-periscope/

+1 for 7K-OK panels!

Cool pics! From an Italian no less :wink:

I always assumed that circular thing was a digital display :sealed:

I'll see what I can do, IVAs have always been tricky for me, but slowly getting to grips with them.

8f16cb31af.jpg

1996a825a6.jpg

You can better see window position.

b5f875a67e.jpg

3e9483be68.jpg

Edited by Beale

I love it! :)

The SM looks a bit too "scratched", I prefer something fresh from factory, but those RCS engines... :)

Hope such a dramatic work won't affect too much your IRL stuff. :)

So sad it's finals now, I'm back for theoretical physics. "Johny, where are those helicopters? Has Uncle Sam forgot us?":

yDnjB0lkSfk.jpg

I love it! :)

The SM looks a bit too "scratched", I prefer something fresh from factory, but those RCS engines... :)

Hope such a dramatic work won't affect too much your IRL stuff. :)

So sad it's finals now, I'm back for theoretical physics. "Johny, where are those helicopters? Has Uncle Sam forgot us?":

http://cs622328.vk.me/v622328297/14d56/yDnjB0lkSfk.jpg

Bah, the scratches are an oversight slightly, they had a higher opacity than the OM, it's fixed now. :)

1fcd61b52b.jpg

To clarify, I've had a bit of time off work, hence the sudden development splurge, I'm not a hobo :wink:

Although, I'm bloody well glad I don't have any finals to worry about these years. (I'm still studying, but there is less "crunch" times now)

Can I ask if all Russian universities are permanently on fire? It seems like a inefficient way of heating.

Edited by Beale

I guess I need to make a separate game install for Tantares (and some additional visual mods), for this cannot be played on compressed textures.

Really nice to hear :)

But, if you can spare the space to run at full-res at the moment, the new textures should actually use waaay less memory, it's all being UV-unwrapped far more efficiently.

But, if you can spare the space to run at full-res at the moment, the new textures should actually use waaay less memory, it's all being UV-unwrapped far more efficiently.

Beale, it's not really about your mod. Even the stock clean install uses up to 2Gb of RAM at full res.

And adding even a couple of essential visual mods makes 3Gb threshold terribly close. But Squad folk seem really do not care about this. They care about... new aerodynamics... which IS already nice with FAR mod. Oh, well...

And played once at full-res you never wish to return to the "World-o-Blur".

I can't really say how I feel about it, because I'm not 100% familiar with TAC (Maybe I should play with it for a bit).

I don't see why it shouldn't have that capability, if you have the config?

If people have TAC changes, I'm most always happy to implement them, as long as they are backed up with sound reason why they are better than what is current, sure :)

Okay, I will make a new TAC config file for Tantares in the next 20 minutes or so. :) Looking at the resources as they are, they don't make much sense. TAC has changed a lot since it first came out.

I guess I need to make a separate game install for Tantares (and some additional visual mods), for this cannot be played on compressed textures.
Beale, it's not really about your mod. Even the stock clean install uses up to 2Gb of RAM at full res.

And adding even a couple of essential visual mods makes 3Gb threshold terribly close. But Squad folk seem really do not care about this. They care about... new aerodynamics... which IS already nice with FAR mod. Oh, well...

Really nice to hear :)

Tantares works fine with Active Texture Management's aggressive version. The version you want on that page is x86-Aggressive-Release.zip. With it, Tantares barely adds any memory. Edit: "barely any" = 50MB for Tantares and 7.3MB for LV.

Edit #2: I have created an Active Texture Management config file for Tantares and Tantares LV. I will upload them along with the TAC file. :)

Edited by CrisK

Understandable.

I'd recommend Linux if you are searching for more memory. It is generally quite stable, though the game never gets quite the same FPS for me under OpenGL.

But still, not a great situation all around with memory I agree, aerodynamics is great but...

Maybe a good time to bring up also: Tantares folder structure is designed to delete crafts you don't want (If you aren't bothered for some craft, FOBOS or Venera for example, which are kinda niche).

Okay, I will make a new TAC config file for Tantares in the next 20 minutes or so. :) Looking at the resources as they are, they don't make much sense. TAC has changed a lot since it first came out.

Tantares works fine with Active Texture Management's aggressive version. The version you want on that page is x86-Aggressive-Release.zip. With it, Tantares barely adds any memory. Edit: "barely any" = 50MB for Tantares and 7.3MB for LV.

Edit #2: I have created an Active Texture Management config file for Tantares and Tantares LV. I will upload them along with the TAC file. :)

Sweet all round! :)

Many thanks!

f2957fd612.jpg

The fuel amount it holds is probably a little too much also: compare to the FL-T200, it is noticably smaller (If you figure there's the engine plumbing in there too).

Although, the new model is ever so slightly longer.

http://puu.sh/eCoJx/f71fed0618.jpg

Might say also: I hate breaking people's craft saves, I really do.

I try to avoid changing the size of parts if possible, but I really wanted to fix the fundamentally flawed proportions of the Tantares, for that, I apologise.

Everything before the TKS was made without orthographics, all guesswork.

about the fuekl amount in the service module of teh Soyuz:

don't forget it has to have monoprop and batterypower. so i would go with only half of the capaticity of a FL-T200 tnak for the beginning. personaly, i would aim for a total of around 400 or 500 m/s dV for the final Tantares. so totaly not able to do a mun flyby witout help like the real one

edit: judging after some techincal cut-trhough drawings in the awesoem Soyuz manual book, only half of teh service module contains fuel for the main engine, rest is filled with electronics, batteries, oxy-tanks, monoprop tanks and much moe to fullfill the role of the service module.

edit2: here some pics:

propelant tanks are number 20

Drawing-Soyuz-TMA-exp12.png

SoyuzCut.jpg

Edited by Darth Lazarus

I'm using currently ATM. And done already a lot of configs for various mods. However, it still has an impact on gameplay from the visual side. For example, you want a more beautiful universe textures and... - POOF! + ~200Mb of memory only for that.

World-O-Blur is totally not THAT pleasant as a full-res. And not speaking of"strange" memory leaks when switching to and back VAB/SPH.

So, I've decided just to stop playing any career in game. Just making separate installs with a certain sets of mods for various game experience.

Squad never hears the screams about the memory. x64 is too unstable, OpenGL... just sucks so badly..., stock game looks like crap (this concerns parts only). I can go on with completely obvious stuff here.

about the fuekl amount in the service module of teh Soyuz:

don't forget it has to have monoprop and batterypower. so i would go with only half of the capaticity of a FL-T200 tnak for the beginning. personaly, i would aim for a total of around 400 or 500 m/s dV for the final Tantares. so totaly not able to do a mun flyby witout help like the real one

edit: judging after some techincal cut-trhough drawings in the awesoem Soyuz manual book, only half of teh service module contains fuel for the main engine, rest is filled with electronics, batteries, oxy-tanks, monoprop tanks and much moe to fullfill the role of the service module.

edit2: here some pics:

propelant tanks are number 20

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Drawing-Soyuz-TMA-exp12.png

http://www.ultimax.com/pic/pix4WPs/SoyuzCut.jpg

It is good reasoning, yeah, I forgot it contains MonoProp also. :)

It will be a matter of tweaking...

I'm using currently ATM. And done already a lot of configs for various mods. However, it still has an impact on gameplay from the visual side. For example, you want a more beautiful universe textures and... - POOF! + ~200Mb of memory only for that.

World-O-Blur is totally not THAT pleasant as a full-res. And not speaking of"strange" memory leaks when switching to and back VAB/SPH.

So, I've decided just to stop playing any career in game. Just making separate installs with a certain sets of mods for various game experience.

Squad never hears the screams about the memory. x64 is too unstable, OpenGL... just sucks so badly..., stock game looks like crap (this concerns parts only). I can go on with completely obvious stuff here.

Gah, I do not like the sound of that.

I try to use few mods myself, just a few needed part mods and clouds + texture replacer.

It's a real problem, the devs will have to face very soon if they are adding content.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting there!

These are the most complex parts, so the rest should be easy.

b1fec207ea.jpg

7151540efd.jpg

1058fa1893.jpg

60aa9b1c9a.jpg

51b7c6c1db.jpg

7f3052e93e.jpg

c2166b74bf.jpg

fratelli russo

c6f5503935.jpg

68b3bd6e08.jpg

Edited by Beale

No more truss between DM and SM?

That will be the decoupler, haven't made that yet :wink:

The new module is taller than the current one. Will this mean we finally get a third kerbal on board???

Where would they fit? :sealed:

95a181ffa3.jpg

I know the enthusiasm for three onboard, but I can't really put a kerbal where the Neptune is.

Also: TLV textures have a small touchup (Similar to ALV).

03b5620b25.jpg

Edited by Beale

Beale, Is The New Soyuz going to include New Antennas, Greeble-ey Parts, Solar Panels, and a New Highly Detailed IVA? :D

Included in revamp. It's been covered pretty thoroughly over the last few pages...

Now that the ALV redesign is done, could you make that Procedural Parts texture pack?

Eh, I cannot have the time, I doubt it, sorry.

Of course, the texture repo, makes these textures available to all. Should not be difficult for people to have what they will from them.

Edited by Beale

Beale, That new Soyuz capsule is really nice. It is your best design yet.

Beale & Horus, Here are two simple ATM config files and a Readme to show where to place them. If you want to preserve the beautiful textures, just change the enabled = true to enabled = false. ATM will then compress all of your plugins BUT the Tantares files. Tantares + TantaresLV will then use around 180MB of memory.

Beale, Here is a modified TAC file with values based on the real Soyuz/Salyut/etc. Changes:

The TST Orbital contains life support for 30 days for 1 Kerbal. The extra supplies should be transferred to the station after docking.

The TST Orbital module contains a toilet (water purifier). :D

The ALN KS-01 Orbital Block contains supplies for 7 days for 1 Kerbal.

The Hamal Orbital contains enough supplies for 107 days for 6 Kerbals. 107 days of food, 7 days of water, 14 days oxygen (this assumes that the station has at least one water purifier and carbon extractor). It also contains room for waste so that you can clean out your station.

The V-C1 has a water purifier (toilet) and an emergency oxygen system (produces oxygen from water).

The V-C2 has the main oxygen system (extracts carbon dioxide produces oxygen).

The V-C3 has supplies adjusted for 1 Kerbal, 7 days.

The oxygen filter, water purifier, etc. are all branded with Tantares "TST" names. You can turn on the "TST Water Purifier" and "TST Oxygen System" by right clicking the V-C1 and V-C2. They use up a small amount of electricity while on. The "TST Bckup Oxygen" generator can be turned on in the same way.

Note: the V-C1 and V-C2 can hold more water/oxgen/etc. than they come with by default. This is so that they can hold up to 14 days worth for a full 6 Kerbal crew while the purifier and oxygen system are running.

This configuration works very well with both TAC and the TAC Fuel Balancer plugin. If you use TAC Fuel Balancer to automatically route carbon dioxide into the TST Oxygen generator, and wastewater into the TST Water purifier, then a MIR station can support 6 Kerbals for 107 days. A Progress can fully restock the station. Once the station has been restocked, transfer waste products to the Progress and send it home!

Edit: I did not modify the Soyuz/TST Crew module. I'm not sure where the configuration for that is located. Beale, is there a config for that? If not, would you like me to make one?

Edited by CrisK

Beale, That new Soyuz capsule is really nice. It is your best design yet.

Beale & Horus, Here are two simple ATM config files and a Readme to show where to place them. If you want to preserve the beautiful textures, just change the enabled = true to enabled = false. ATM will then compress all of your plugins BUT the Tantares files. Tantares + TantaresLV will then use around 180MB of memory.

Beale, Here is a modified TAC file with values based on the real Soyuz/Salyut/etc. Changes:

-technical loveliness-

Thanks! :)

And many many thanks for the configs, I'll give them a proper read tomorrow and implement them :)

Thanks! :)

And many many thanks for the configs, I'll give them a proper read tomorrow and implement them :)

Awesome. This does sort of make the full MIR a tiny bit overpowered compared to other station plugins, but I don't think that there's any reason to complain - the same resources and capabilities can be achieved by sticking 4 TAC containers onto any part.

If anyone has any ideas for TAC re-balancing other Tantares parts I'd be happy to write up more configs. Also, if anyone has any ideas for other resource systems let me know. For example, I could add a "TST Desperation System" that turns "waste" into food. :huh: TAC's very flexible, so it's easy to create an option like that.

Edit: A better example would be a "TST Greenhouse" that turns Kerbal waste into food. Maybe in the V-C1, Polaris, Mianbo, and/or TKS KS-01 block?

Edited by CrisK

I'm not sure how well I like the white stripe on the new Soyuz SM. It jumps out a little too much compared to the rest of the model. A lighter shade of grey would probably be better.

I have thinking maybe to flip the Grey and white, so white lower