[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

56 minutes ago, Andem said:

Odd, I haven't noticed any issues with it. And it's probably my most used part in Tantares.

Interesting, could demonstrate how to do it? I'm curious what the magic ingredient is.

Just now, Joeybafoey said:

Still planning?

Sorry yes, still planning.

5 hours ago, Andem said:

Odd, I haven't noticed any issues with it. And it's probably my most used part in Tantares.

The issue is most noticeable during reentry. It's extremely difficult to slow it down, you can reenter with a shallow orbit and it will still reach ground at +400m/s speeds.

@Beale I believe stock calculates drag with node sizes, wouldn't making the nodes bigger fix the issue?

Edited by mbartelsm

5 hours ago, Beale said:

Interesting, could demonstrate how to do it? I'm curious what the magic ingredient is.

1 hour ago, mbartelsm said:

The issue is most noticeable during reentry. It's extremely difficult to slow it down, you can reenter with a shallow orbit and it will still reach ground at +400m/s speeds.

In all honesty it's probably how I use the part. I don't build replicas, and dislike the "integrated ablator" that the parts in tantares have, so I usually take out the ablator and add a stock heatshield or build a reentry structure. This probably adds a lot of drag making reentries significantly easier. I'm not sure how much this would effect the outcome, but I also use 64K.

I haven't actually cared about the Vostock's weird areo- but then, I tend to just throw 2-3 suborbital launches out with it and immediately switch to using the Khleb since that means I can take Jeb and Bob and drop antennas entirely. If I need to reenter with it, I just stick a heatshield on the bottom of the decoupler-battery module stack, which solves that problem abruptly. as for actually fixing it, hm.

well, I can't do anything about it tonight since I'm away from my rig ATM, but I'll do some reading and poke at it tomorrow. as an itereant modder I know one or two things about missing something stupid or having Weird Errors Tee Emm, and one of those things is often that someone else poking at it can fix it.

that reminds me, I need to go fix the Realchute stuff for a couple of the Tantares chutes that aren't getting the RC module. Kevlar drogues are just too bloody useful for when you flub a return burn from the Mun and end up hitting atmo at 45 degrees or steeper and need to SLOW THE FOOK DOWN.

18 hours ago, Beale said:

Central N1 stage as standalone engine.

KdDyugS.png

Top section as standalone fuel tank.

4GhoeBJ.png

Tantares LV WIP

With the new FX.
Any suggestions, let me know!

QUVgujU.png

Im ruling over this omg <3 :D Suggestion: Tweakable shades of the texture, texture itself is gorgeous, but tweakable colors to the texture would make it that much more amazing :D 

Hello Beale it's really been a while, I am glad to see that you keep working on your amazing mod that kept me gazing outer spaces for hours ( trying to find out where has my space station gone ).

I have a suggestion for you N-1 lower stages engines, your proton exhausts are beautiful with the Brown-burned tone you paint them, have you thought about painting the N-1 engines the same way ?  I think it comes well with the " lego " state of mind you are giving to your parts mod.

Thanks for the N-1, she is wonderful ^-^

uh. @Beale.

the vostoc pod has no ModuleLiftingSurface definition.

that sorta means that it's not actually interacting with the air to provide lift.

which is likely why it hits the ground at 400m/s.

how everyone managed to miss this is uh. yeah. Imma just go now.

On 13/12/2016 at 6:02 PM, spacecookie said:

Hello Beale it's really been a while, I am glad to see that you keep working on your amazing mod that kept me gazing outer spaces for hours ( trying to find out where has my space station gone ).

I have a suggestion for you N-1 lower stages engines, your proton exhausts are beautiful with the Brown-burned tone you paint them, have you thought about painting the N-1 engines the same way ?  I think it comes well with the " lego " state of mind you are giving to your parts mod.

Thanks for the N-1, she is wonderful ^-^

Thanks! Good to hear from you.

I will have a look at the nozzle colour.

24 minutes ago, Notsure_jr said:

Maybe I'm not understanding this right, but where are the big lifter engines for lifting the vehicle into space? Is their a guide on this to better help me?

They are in the TantaresLV mod, first page link :) 

On 13/12/2016 at 11:48 PM, Mechtech said:

that sorta means that it's not actually interacting with the air to provide lift.

I don't think it's quite that simple.

N-1 Block B Aero Version (For N11).

Sadly it has to be a separate part because of lack of config for this.

82p4H3l.jpg
x5aHRV7.png

Release is right around the corner, I need to make sure people know - it will break saves completely!
I am putting the new uploads as a separate Spacedock entry, to allow for the old version to still be used without digging through version histories.

Some future stuff:

wJNiBKP.png

On 12/12/2016 at 3:20 PM, Beale said:

Any suggestions, let me know!

This is only loosely related to the N-1, and I know you're trying to trim down the number of parts in the mod, but maybe for a future project the Lunokhod rover would be kind of cool. In case you don't know, the Lunokhod wasn't just a rover, it was for seeking the landing site for the LK and RLK (Rescue Lander). It had a spot at its helm for the cosmonaut to control it from. It'd really be a pretty nifty addition to the mod.

31 minutes ago, Beale said:

I don't think it's quite that simple.

N-1 Block B Aero Version (For N11).

Sadly it has to be a separate part because of lack of config for this.

82p4H3l.jpg
x5aHRV7.png

Release is right around the corner, I need to make sure people know - it will break saves completely!
I am putting the new uploads as a separate Spacedock entry, to allow for the old version to still be used without digging through version histories.

Some future stuff:

wJNiBKP.png

Are they still going to install into gamedata/tantares and gamedata/tantaresLV ? (rather than, for example, gamedata/tantares2 or something)

If so, it's going to cause issues for folks trying to run some of the old parts (such as the R-7 / soyuz booster) that arent in the "new" one yet.

1 minute ago, tjsnh said:

Are they still going to install into gamedata/tantares and gamedata/tantaresLV ? (rather than, for example, gamedata/tantares2 or something)

If so, it's going to cause issues for folks trying to run some of the old parts (such as the R-7 / soyuz booster) that arent in the "new" one yet.

Considering that those versions are no longer supported, it isn't really @Beale's problem...

... with that said, such things are worth considering. :)

28 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

26 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Considering that those versions are no longer supported, it isn't really @Beale's problem...

... with that said, such things are worth considering. :)

Strictly speaking the part names are different, so it should be possible to sit them in the same folder.

54 minutes ago, Joeybafoey said:

This is only loosely related to the N-1, and I know you're trying to trim down the number of parts in the mod, but maybe for a future project the Lunokhod rover would be kind of cool. In case you don't know, the Lunokhod wasn't just a rover, it was for seeking the landing site for the LK and RLK (Rescue Lander). It had a spot at its helm for the cosmonaut to control it from. It'd really be a pretty nifty addition to the mod.

It's not a bad idea, but I think wheels are still quite hard to do (for me). A lunokhod robotic / crewed rover would be nice.

9 hours ago, Beale said:

Some future stuff:

wJNiBKP.png

Is it a revamped R-7 Semiorka lower first and a half stage ? If I am right may I suggest to you a small tweak in sizing ? Your first stage/ lateral R-7 boosters seems too thick, maybe it is related to a later Soyuz version ? When I see this photo of a R-7 " Vostok " the lateral boosters match perfectly the upper half of the first stage in terms of aerodynamics. Also the engines are not horizontal. Bigger lateral first stages would be great to me :D

r7-vostok-replica.jpg

I can't wait to play with your new N-1 !

5 hours ago, spacecookie said:

Is it a revamped R-7 Semiorka lower first and a half stage ? If I am right may I suggest to you a small tweak in sizing ? Your first stage/ lateral R-7 boosters seems too thick, maybe it is related to a later Soyuz version ? When I see this photo of a R-7 " Vostok " the lateral boosters match perfectly the upper half of the first stage in terms of aerodynamics. Also the engines are not horizontal. Bigger lateral first stages would be great to me :D

r7-vostok-replica.jpg

I can't wait to play with your new N-1 !

They are currently too thin. As @curtquarquesso pointed out some year ago - the top stage and booster stages should be more like 1.5m, but I would like to avoid off sizes :) 
q9zDbvx.png

1 hour ago, NeoFatalis said:

Is this the Antares?

Good guess! But, no - it is the R7 / Soyuz

5 hours ago, Beale said:

They are currently too thin. As @curtquarquesso pointed out some year ago - the top stage and booster stages should be more like 1.5m, but I would like to avoid off sizes :) 
q9zDbvx.png

Good guess! But, no - it is the R7 / Soyuz

I still say a 1.875m R7/Soyuz stack would be pretty epic ...... just throwing the raw meat out on the table ..... ;-)

1 hour ago, tjsnh said:

I still say a 1.875m R7/Soyuz stack would be pretty epic ...... just throwing the raw meat out on the table ..... ;-)

I think a 1.25 core and 1.875 or 1.5 boosters would also cool  (for example BDB/Trails already have 1.5 capsule)