[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

9 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Is the balancing process in progress on New Tantares? Things are waaaaaay too overpowered.

He balances the parts against comparably sized things out of stock, rather than against the performance of the "real" thing scaled to Kerbal.
If you'd like re-balanced versions of the parts, and/or patches to balance them, keep an eye on my career-mode mods linked in my sig - the next update is coming within the week (I'm testing it now).

Edited by tjsnh

1 hour ago, tjsnh said:

He balances the parts against comparably sized things out of stock, rather than against the performance of the "real" thing scaled to Kerbal.
If you'd like re-balanced versions of the parts, and/or patches to balance them, keep an eye on my career-mode mods linked in my sig - the next update is coming within the week (I'm testing it now).

@Z3R0_0NL1N3, you could also play in a x3.2 (or similar) rescale using something like Sigma dimensions, as that is around where the rockets will perform realistically.

6 hours ago, tjsnh said:

15 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Is the balancing process in progress on New Tantares? Things are waaaaaay too overpowered.

To follow on, show me a Tantares overpowered craft, I will show you a smaller stock equivalent.

What about module manager configs to make the Tantares parts a bit less overpowered? As much as I love Tantares, getting a Soyuz style launcher to orbit while only barely touching the 2nd stage seems a little silly :)

11 minutes ago, Kaput said:

What about module manager configs to make the Tantares parts a bit less overpowered? As much as I love Tantares, getting a Soyuz style launcher to orbit while only barely touching the 2nd stage seems a little silly :)

I think that’s what @tjsnh is talking about. If not, I could have a look as I play in stock size too.

Another way is to put less fuel in the tank.

Edited by Moiety

8 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Point being that, the Tantares parts are balanced the same as every other part in the game. The thing is, when you are trying to use realistically proportioned rockets, you see how easy Kerbal is because the rockets are oversized for the solar system. The easier solution is just to rescale the solar system since then all your parts will work right...

13 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I threw together a quick set of configs, the Tantares parts should operate closer to IRL if you use it.

Link

20 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Who's going to make them?

I agree Sigma Dimensions is all the way to go. Just double or triple the size of the planets and there you go...

The Soyuz has enough dV to reach orbit on the first stage alone. And the problem with resizing the planets is that planet packs and other mods (I use BDB and Cormorant a lot) won't be able to reach orbit. Module Manager configs are the way to go, but maybe Beale should recommend a resize pack in the OP.

@tjsnh I'll give it a try, but would it do the balances without having to play a career game?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

15 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

The Soyuz has enough dV to reach orbit on the first stage alone. And the problem with resizing the planets is that planet packs and other mods (I use BDB and Cormorant a lot) won't be able to reach orbit. Module Manager configs are the way to go, but maybe Beale should recommend a resize pack in the OP.

@tjsnh I'll give it a try, but would it do the balances without having to play a career game?

BDB is designed to work with rescaled systems, as it's also a stock-balanced replica pack. As for Cormorant, it's balanced for the stock system, but @PickledTripod made a config for it, that I can link you if you want.

2 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

BDB is designed to work with rescaled systems, as it's also a stock-balanced replica pack. As for Cormorant, it's balanced for the stock system, but @PickledTripod made a config for it, that I can link you if you want.

I find it a little silly to redo my whole game to fix one mod, but yeah I'll take the link.

Here you go:

// Rebalance of Cormorant Aeronology STS stack parts for rescaled systems
// Values largely based on SpaceY Lifter parts, wich are themselves based on stock values for fuel density, dry mass, etc.
// Author: PickledTripod

// ET rebalance, LF+O config only

@PART[CA_ET]
{
	@mass = 34.65
	@description = 5m tank, holds a bigly amount of fuel. For use with space shuttles.
	!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 25515
		maxAmount = 25515
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		amount = 31185
		maxAmount = 31185
	}
}
@PART[CA_ET_extension]
{
	@mass = 7.7
	@description = Extra fuel tank to make your shuttle stack more imposing.
	!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 5670
		maxAmount = 5670
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		amount = 6930
		maxAmount = 6930
	}
}
@PART[CA_ETnose]
{
	@mass = 11.55
	@description = Aerodynamic nosecone that holds some more fuel for your shuttle.
	!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch] {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		amount = 5670
		maxAmount = 5670
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		amount = 6930
		maxAmount = 6930
	}
}

// SRB rebalance, values directly based on the S223 2.5m SRB from SpaceY

@PART[CA_SRB4]
{
	@cost = 7200
	@mass = 27.3
	!RESOURCE {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SolidFuel
		amount = 16380
		maxAmount = 16380
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@heatProduction = 400
		@maxThrust = 3500
		@atmChangeFlow = False
		@useAtmCurve = False
		!atmCurve {}
		thrustCurve
		{
			key = 1.00 1.0
			key = 0.05 1.0
			key = 0.00 0.1
		} 
	}
}

// Nosecone and separator pack rebalance, more thrust and fuel to compensate for the heavier booster

@PART[CA_SRBnose]
{
	!RESOURCE {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SolidFuel
		amount = 48
		maxAmount = 48
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@maxThrust = 96
	}
}
@PART[CA_boosterPack]
{
	!RESOURCE {}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = SolidFuel
		amount = 48
		maxAmount = 48
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@maxThrust = 96
	}
}

1 hour ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I find it a little silly to redo my whole game to fix one mod, but yeah I'll take the link.

it's not even 'fixing one mod', it's fixing the damn game... unless you want Tantares parts to be hilariously underpowered compared to other parts in your install...