[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

17 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

I can't seem to fin the A-VK3 vostok avionics part anywhere on the techtree (using CTT) where should it be?

It's possib;e CTT was not updated for the Vostok, unfortunately I don't know much about that.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Some options on putting together the kvant-2 airlock. Input appreciated:

Option 1 is more in line with real Kvant-2 internal layout: cylindric scientific instrument compartment (ПНО) and airlock compartment (ШСО), so I'll choose this one (to shamelessly tune it with MM-pathes for WBI, StationScience and Jeb knows what 80 )

Thanks for the input, perhaps option 1 is winning over slightly! I am open to read more before commiting to either option :) 

@TK-313 The longer small cylinders could be labs, it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure how possible it is to balance such a small lab though (Available config values, etc?).

POJA3LQ.png
IBn9uQQ.png
sxQ7mef.png

9 hours ago, Beale said:

I'm not sure how possible it is to balance such a small lab though (Available config values, etc?).

Speaking of balance, it will be pretty good balanced with stock lab parameters, except dataStorage of ModuleScienceLab reduced to somewhere around 100-200. Science processing rate depends on maximum available data, so this config will provide 10-20% of stock science lab yield. Another way is to nerf dataStorage little less (~300-350), but fiddle with scienceMultiplier (rate of data to science), thus requiring constant flow of new experimental data to keep lab useful.

11 hours ago, unclepirog said:

Speaking of balance, it will be pretty good balanced with stock lab parameters, except dataStorage of ModuleScienceLab reduced to somewhere around 100-200. Science processing rate depends on maximum available data, so this config will provide 10-20% of stock science lab yield. Another way is to nerf dataStorage little less (~300-350), but fiddle with scienceMultiplier (rate of data to science), thus requiring constant flow of new experimental data to keep lab useful.

Thanks! That sounds good. 

55 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Would you consider giving these the ability to switch fuel types? I really like the design and have been experimenting with other uses for them.

I would love to. Can the new variant system allow that?

By default now they contain LFO, which will make them somewhat more useful.

OEQXJJm.jpg
kvEkMrW.jpg
1lGSlbQ.png

GitHub WIP

A lot more progress, the FGB parts have a heavy re-balance. The descriptions and names are still missing, but if you like to play with WIP stuff you may enjoy this more.

Anyway let me know what you think, colour schemes, balance, etc.

k2fpxdb.png

Could use thermal blankets (but then, almost every part in the mod could) and the radiators could be more white. Otherwise it's not too bad.

Edited by Guest

On 11/10/2018 at 3:42 AM, Beale said:

These are beautiful! Many thanks for sharing them. @AlphaMensae you did a really nice job!

Just the UR-500 currently, but no plans for anything else.

I have worked on the grey variant some more.

hLUkyvZ.png
U6W5keS.png
TKusnEl.jpg

WIP

kfc7Dh2.png
v8HVgrj.png

I think UR-700 is very monumental and quite "KSP-styled" rocket so for me it's something what's really missing among all those soviet monstrous rockets such as N1 and Energia

On 11/21/2018 at 11:36 PM, DeltaDizzy said:

screenshot307.png

A small mun probe, only tantares parts are used.

Direcly behind it however...

Very nice little craft, I like the battery belt :D I willtry that.
I have a Mun lander of my own...

nUVV50O.png

On 11/22/2018 at 10:44 AM, Marcelo Silveira said:

I don't think so, but you can use B9PartSwitch with a compatibility cfg. If you want I can write a patch for that.

I would be very happy to include it! From testing in-game the double tank is roughly equal of volume to:

95px-Stratus-V_Cylindrified.png

On 11/22/2018 at 11:29 AM, crberus said:

I think UR-700 is very monumental and quite "KSP-styled" rocket so for me it's something what's really missing among all those soviet monstrous rockets such as N1 and Energia

I agree the UR-700 is a good fit for KSP, currently though I do not really have the ambition to make it.
N1 and Energia had priority as they have a little more basis in reality - but, who knows, it could be made in future.

it is surprisingly manageable being a collection of mostly smaller diameter cores.

Speaking of heavy rockets, and a question for everyone - the Energia killed me, the texture size and demands of working at 4K were quite miserable.
Because of that, I have considered lowering the texel density (Pixels per square metre of the surface of the part, i.e. texture resolution) for the larger rockets (3.75m+) from 200 to around 100 - 150 pixels per metre.

This would mean less detail compared to the current big boys, but also makes the larger things less intimidating to work with nudge nudge, wink wink.
A good example of this reduced texture density is the current N1, which uses around 100px per m (But obviously a newer part would take advantage of all the things I have learned.)

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Speaking of heavy rockets, and a question for everyone - the Energia killed me, the texture size and demands of working at 4K were quite miserable.
Because of that, I have considered lowering the texel density (Pixels per square metre of the surface of the part, i.e. texture resolution) for the larger rockets (3.75m+) from 200 to around 100 - 150 pixels per metre.

I would recommend against that. Inconsistent texel density can be rather noticeable (it certainly is now). N1 would be hit especially hard by this, since it ends at 2.5m or so.

It might be preferable to instead split the rocket up. Model the engines separately and the N1 "ultra-large part" lineup would be reduced to two lower stages (preferably with integrated, adjustable engine mounts for maximum flexibility), with the 3rd being comparable to any other 3.75m stage. This would result in simpler large-diameter parts and would make alternate configurations easier. Of course, part count and vessel complexity would go through the roof, but that might be a good thing, since I feel that the old N1 completely failed to capture the sheer crazyness of the RL design. :) 

Edited by Guest