[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

6 hours ago, Beale said:

That's a first! interesting,  I'd love to hear your thoughts to why.

The older textures do exist, somewhere - I have deleted them locally but they are not lost (Can dive into past releases for example). So, it is not a huge job to do if enough people want this.

I found Restock a mixed bag, some things were good and others were disagreeable or just flat out bad. I also strongly disagree with their marketing that Restock is a purely aesthetic change; Restock incorporates subtle mesh and collider changes (among other things), and because KSP takes such things into account for its physics they actually have a tangible gameplay impact unlike with most other games. Restock is a wide-scope parts pack mod masquerading as a 1-to-1 stock replacer as far as I'm concerned.

So I've shied away from Restock. I selectively use some parts from it in my current playthroughs, with CFG changes so they don't replace stock parts, for better quality of life using Nertea's other mods since most have a soft dependency on Restock, but that's about it.

Letting the players have more choice in their mod setups and visual styles is never a bad thing, so I for one would greatly appreciate it if it is within your consideration.

45 minutes ago, King Arthur said:

I found Restock a mixed bag, some things were good and others were disagreeable or just flat out bad. I also strongly disagree with their marketing that Restock is a purely aesthetic change; Restock incorporates subtle mesh and collider changes (among other things), and because KSP takes such things into account for its physics they actually have a tangible gameplay impact unlike with most other games. Restock is a wide-scope parts pack mod masquerading as a 1-to-1 stock replacer as far as I'm concerned.

So I've shied away from Restock. I selectively use some parts from it in my current playthroughs, with CFG changes so they don't replace stock parts, for better quality of life using Nertea's other mods since most have a soft dependency on Restock, but that's about it.

Letting the players have more choice in their mod setups and visual styles is never a bad thing, so I for one would greatly appreciate it if it is within your consideration.

Wait what was flat out bad? Curious to get feedback. I made small contributions to Restock, but the guys that did the rest are A+ dudes.

Edited by Beale

10 minutes ago, Barzon said:

if you dont like what honestly is some of Beale's best work (The solar panels), why are you here.

Please don't post that. Be respectful.

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Wait what was flat out bad? Curious to get feedback. I made small contributions to Restock, but the guys that did the rest are A+ dudes.

I voiced most of my concerns/disagreements over in the Restock thread, if you'd like to take a look. I don't want to detract too much from discussing Tantares here, though I suppose it's alright since you're personally involved in the discussions.

1 hour ago, Barzon said:

if you dont like what honestly is some of Beale's best work (The solar panels), then why insult him, and the rest of the ReStock team.

I have never insulted Beale's work nor do I have a problem with his or Restock/Nertea's solar panels, please do not put words in my mouth. I have intended to be courteous and respectful to Beale during my discussion with him here, if this has not been the case then I ask a moderator to point out any problems so I may address them.

I inquired about keeping the old stock-style panels as a variant because I thought players, including myself, would appreciate having a choice in running Restock or not while maintaining a consistent overall style, and on the assumption that it would not be too much of a hassle for Beale to implement as he winds down his development work. One could even roleplay the stock-style panels as "older" panels or something, for the especially creative storytellers!

1 hour ago, cineboxandrew said:

What collider changes are you having issues with? the colliders should all be the same as stock

I've had stuff radially attached to a stock HECS2 end up floating in midair when the same craft was subsequently loaded with the Restock HECS2. The Aerodynamic Nose Cone also has a very clearly different mesh and collider.

I certainly appreciate that Restock went to great lengths to try and be identical to stock, but the fact of the matter is that it's "almost" the same as stock rather than an exact 1-to-1 match. In a game like, say, Skyrim where meshes have nothing to do with gameplay I wouldn't really care, but I do care in a game like KSP where the physics and other elements of gameplay involve the mesh and colliders.

6 minutes ago, King Arthur said:

I've had stuff radially attached to a stock HECS2 end up floating in midair when the same craft was subsequently loaded with the Restock HECS2. The Aerodynamic Nose Cone also has a very clearly different mesh and collider.

I certainly appreciate that Restock went to great lengths to try and be identical to stock, but the fact of the matter is that it's "almost" the same as stock rather than an exact 1-to-1 match. In a game like, say, Skyrim where meshes have nothing to do with gameplay I wouldn't really care, but I do care in a game like KSP where the physics and other elements of gameplay involve the mesh and colliders.

I just double checked in blender and the restock HECS2 collider is identical to the stock one. The nose cone collider was also identical but the collider was rotated 15° which I'm going to open a ticket for

On 10/7/2019 at 5:06 AM, Beale said:

For the first time ever, thanks to the illustrious @Zorg - there is now a comprehensive 1.5m (VAB form factor size 1.2) switch for the Soyuz rocket!
Major thanks for this, because I could never do this! Make sure for everyone to give the guy credit he deserves :D

This is now available on the latest github update, and will be included in the next release.

To enable:

• Have B9 installed.
  • Remove the .disabled from the included patch.

s0qcXY5.png

heya @Beale I'm Curious what B9 your talking about I don't know if i should install B9 Aerospace or Something else with B9 on it's name.

6 hours ago, NotABoomer said:

um how should i locate the .disable thingy?

Its not in the current release, only on the TantaresLV github. You need to go to TantaresLV/Patches find the file called "Soyuz_B9_Rescale.cfg.disabled" and change the name to "Soyuz_B9_Rescale.cfg"

21 hours ago, Zorg said:

Its not in the current release, only on the TantaresLV github. You need to go to TantaresLV/Patches find the file called "Soyuz_B9_Rescale.cfg.disabled" and change the name to "Soyuz_B9_Rescale.cfg"

i'm in Soyuz_B9_Rescale and Apparently the only one which appears is "AlternateSizes.cfg"

42 minutes ago, NotABoomer said:

i'm in Soyuz_B9_Rescale and Apparently the only one which appears is "AlternateSizes.cfg"

As previously mentioned, this is not in the current official release of TantaresLV. You need to get the github master or if you're not comfortable installing from github, then you need to wait for the next official release.

AlternateSizes.cfg is the old patch for the old soyuz. It doesnt use B9PartSwitch, it straight up changes the models.

You can also grab the file directly from here.

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresLV/tree/master/GameData/TantaresLV/Patches

10 minutes ago, Natokerbal said:

Hey just wondering do the engine plumes expand as you get higher in the atmosphere?

Not by default, you need to install the mod RealPlume-Stock for that (see link in signature). Tantares is supported.

Tantares is my favorite part mod. However, now I'm having a problem. I used to play on KSP version 1.6.1 and one of the previous Tantares versions was installed. After upgrading to 1.7.3, I saw that you deleted some parts that I used on the previous version. So, when I want to continue my career game, it shows me an error saying that some of the parts are missing so I'm going to lose those crafts in game. 

The parts are; 

Castor.Control.1.O

Castor.Control.1.N

Castor.Control.1.P

Libra.Crew.1

Libra.RCS.1

I tried moving the parts files out of the OLD folder. However that didn't work. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks

2 hours ago, ondert said:

Tantares is my favorite part mod. However, now I'm having a problem. I used to play on KSP version 1.6.1 and one of the previous Tantares versions was installed. After upgrading to 1.7.3, I saw that you deleted some parts that I used on the previous version. So, when I want to continue my career game, it shows me an error saying that some of the parts are missing so I'm going to lose those crafts in game. 

The parts are; 

Castor.Control.1.O

Castor.Control.1.N

Castor.Control.1.P

Libra.Crew.1

Libra.RCS.1

I tried moving the parts files out of the OLD folder. However that didn't work. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks

You could probably use the old version of Tantares you were previously using, remove the offending parts from affected crafts, then upgrade again.

18 hours ago, ondert said:

The parts are; 

Castor.Control.1.O

Castor.Control.1.N

Castor.Control.1.P

Libra.Crew.1

Libra.RCS.1

Thanks

Apologies for the troubles. usually it is tried to keep things compatible between versions - not sure how these parts became broken (They should just be hidden, but still functional).

I will investigate further, but a clean re-install / installing the previous version to clean these craft up might be the easiest option for now.