[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Made a small module manager patch to allow the command pods with no IVA's to use the MK3 placeholder (to get the portraits up for the crew at least).

@PART[Polaris_Crew_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Polaris_Orbital_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Crew_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_B]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Alnair_Crew_C]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

Just copy and paste into a .cfg file in your gamedata and enjoy :)

Remember to remove once real IVA's are added :)

Apollo Soyuz Test Project Album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll be releasing the complete .craft file downloads tonight which include all the Tantares vessels, Salyut, Mir, and ISS Russian segment modules, as well as a few custom "Q SkunkWorks" projects.

Slightly off-topic, I'll be at Canaveral watching the Falcon 9 DSCOVR launch. I love living an hour from KSC. Keep your fingers crossed for a 1st-attempt launch. :)

I'll be releasing the complete .craft file downloads tonight which include all the Tantares vessels, Salyut, Mir, and ISS Russian segment modules, as well as a few custom "Q SkunkWorks" projects.

Slightly off-topic, I'll be at Canaveral watching the Falcon 9 DSCOVR launch. I love living an hour from KSC. Keep your fingers crossed for a 1st-attempt launch. :)

It's not a Tweakscale config, it's just a config for a new part.

You can pick it up at the end of this post.

Edited by hoojiwana

You are so lucky. I've always wanted to go to KSC, but every time I suggest it, it gets struck down in favor of vacations to the Midwest. It isn't that far from me either, about a 6 hour drive from southern Alabama. Maybe I'll be able to go down there in 2017 for the SLS launch, if it isn't cancelled before then.

First of all, I'll be very faint the coming week, so if you have urgent bug: contact by PM is best.

One thing I realized while finishing up the .craft files for the new release is that we have no 1.875 stack engine. I was trying to put together an accurate ASTP .craft, but I couldn't really find a good engine for a 1.875 Apollo made from the VA capsule and the cargo bay.

As it turns out, hoojiwana's MPR-45 from RLA is perfect, it's just too small. That engine in 1.875m would be a perfect Apollo OMS engine. I'll go post in RLA, but I know hooj hangs around here. Is there anyway we could get that engine to TweakScale up to 1.875?

Oh, and Mir .crafts will be dropping as soon as ASTP and ISS modules as finished. Literally have stayed all night tonight finishing the launchers and the descriptions...

Album:

http://imgur.com/a/uhOWn

Very very nice! :)

That ROMBUS link got me thinking...

Here I'm using your V2 nose and Tavio tanks.

http://imgur.com/a/lOjtn

That engine acts as a heatshield with DRE installed :D

The parachutes do blow up though...

The seems like it could be useful!

But, really the engines survive re-entry?

MIR-2?

Also, as a part of being silly, I made a MM config that uses Adaptive Docking Node to make the non-androgynous ports actually non-androgynous. I only briefly tested it, but it might be of use to someone. Maybe.

Beale, I couldn't see any CLS configs around recently (could have sworn there have been some, but can't see them now). Should the parachute/decoupler and the small docking ports be crew-passable?

Many thanks! That's pretty cool.

CLS: gone for many many versions.

I'm pretty okay with stock transfer, even without its restrictions.

Oh god Beale please don't keep me drooling about the R-7 Color scheme No.3! Release them already!

Kraken forgive me for this

Cheers, SpaceEagle

Not quite ready yet :)

Option #2 is catching up!

But... it is actually larger, Soyuz capsule is 2.2m wide, Gemini is 3m wide. So, the proportions would be correct. :)

I had no idea!

That's worked out quite well then.

BUG!

Pavonus Nose cone

Build a ship, launch, revert to launch - now the cone is floating over the rest of the craft.

AFAIK this is a KSP bug, and will happen to all root parts that use a MODEL{} config. Not totally sure on the fix though.

I believe there may be a bug with the new Soyuz parachute

http://i.imgur.com/iZYKcQo.png

The parachute may need to be resized because I can see the (what you call it? top hatch?). Second, I can't click on the part in the Action Groups editor (other parts work fine, including the new TKS parachute). Third, both the parachute and decoupler don't show up in the staging sequence, which could be disastrous if the Soyuz was crewed.

Anyone else getting this?

Yep, as others say this is due to out-dated realchute configs. You'll need to delete "Tantares" from the real chutes folder.

So is it official then that the Tantini windows are gonna be small and high up?

Also does anyone else think that .6 tons for the vostok decoupler is a bit much? There isn't much reason to use it once you get any other decoupler other than to save you a few 100fund's which is a shame because it makes a spiffy looking 1.25 to .625 adapter for launching tiny probes early game without having to stare at a hollow stock decoupler eyesore.

Yup, at least until I get working on the IVA if change is needed.

Vostok decoupler:

It is an attempt to hinder the Delta V of the Vostok, without ruining its engine for the sake of a nerf.

If there is some other way I can handicap the Vostok, it would be good.

Made a small module manager patch to allow the command pods with no IVA's to use the MK3 placeholder (to get the portraits up for the crew at least).

@PART[Polaris_Crew_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Polaris_Orbital_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Crew_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_A]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Tantares_Orbital_B]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

@PART[Alnair_Crew_C]:Final
{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

Just copy and paste into a .cfg file in your gamedata and enjoy :)

Remember to remove once real IVA's are added :)

Great!

I will put this into the vanilla download, for placeholders.

http://imgur.com/a/OmgUy

Wow!

I really love that. Especially the SM interior.

great mission!

More more more.

Like some parts, the Gemini SM is having a difficult birth, and needs a re-design.

92966b26a7.jpg

So I switched the underside to foil. The previous model was hemorrhaging polygons for something that actually looked pretty bad in the VAB, this new one is much more pretty, even if lower poly.

The engine itself is a non-staged decoupler, that is you must right click it to separate the return capsule, but cannot stage with space bar accidentally.

5961e46b6c.jpg

I also thought I would be cheeky and put together a FASA style exploded schematic.

aafef8e28c.jpg

Please do. Don't need a whole launcher, I don't think, but the engines would be so great. It would just bring Tantares that much closer to being able to replace stock parts. Not that it needs to, but it'd still be pretty kick-awesome to run a space program exclusively with Tantares parts. The more engines, the better.
A LR87-11 like rocket engine could double as representing RD-180. Its within the same realm of Isp and thrust, and both have two nozzles and (I believe) two thrust chambers. That Gemini would look good on any 2.5 diameter rocket!

i want your rocket beale

Yeah, that's correct. Also, it would be nice replacement for Spica.

Titan II GLV, on the other side, would be kinda hard to replicate without using mods like NovaPunch or KW. Stock 1.25m engines are too weak for LR-87.

For the engines, I would probably do a dual-nozzle 2.5m, rather than two smaller engines.

the RD-180 analogue might be a good idea, and fitting.

sorry, but I had to.

http://i.imgur.com/G6GFPNr.jpg

Beautiful.

Though I read it as ISIS too many times.

Edited by Beale

Well!

Gemini Beta

I think it's generally ready for a quick Beta, despite some balance issues.

It is missing the rear x4 RCS thrusters, which will be 4-way 0.5KN blocks.

Critique is very welcome!

Current names and descriptions are mostly placeholders.

0639e6a956.jpg

For those who enjoy texture-dev-adventures, of course it all fits on one 1024x1024 sheet.

0780b2138e.jpg

Edited by Beale

Hey Beale... this mod going the opposite way as Orionkermin did with his HomeGrownRockets (commonley known as HGR): He first build a 2 person Gemini pod and service module and later build the Soviet/Russian space crafts after it...

http://imgur.com/a/OmgUy

What engine is that attached to the Apollo SM?

I think american spacecraft are a bit ugly because they are just flying cilinders and cones.

They're not the most visually exciting, that's generally true. Looking at some of the alternate proposals that NASA got back in 2006, and it's kind of a shame they went with Orion, another cone:

S1r9Ajc.jpg

Hi Beale,

The new models are looking great! I like the art style you've gone with. Thanks again for the pointers on how to make parachutes, I was able to create my first chute. I have a question about shrouds though, how did you do them? I hear Squad uses a cone shape with a transparent texture, but I've yet to figure that one out in Unity. Any ideas?

Thanks again. :)

Edit: never mind, figured it out. For the curious: KSP/Alpha/Cutoff Bumped is the material shader you want. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Vostok decoupler:

It is an attempt to hinder the Delta V of the Vostok, without ruining its engine for the sake of a nerf.

If there is some other way I can handicap the Vostok, it would be good.

what about increasing the dry mass of the Vos-01 monoprop tanks? That way the hinderance would scale with how much dv you try to give it.

I tested this idea by building two vostok's in the VAB. One looked like the vostok in the OP imgur album the other swapped out the vostok decoupler for the lighter stock one and had twice as many vos-o1 mono prop tanks(total 24) half of which were empty to simulate an increase in dry mass the final score was pretty close...

heavy decoupler vostok: 1.09 twr, 1,036 dv

heavy monoprop tanks vostok: 1.12 twr, 1066 dv

unlike the vostok decoupler the vos-01 monoprop tank is a bit of a novelty early game and has a lighter doppelganger running around later in the tech tree so its already slated for obsoleteness by throwing all the obsoleteness on the the monoprop tank you can rebalance the decoupler to be able to stay relevant past the first couple tech nodes.

What engine is that attached to the Apollo SM?

hoojiwanna was kind enough to make me a 1.875m part .config for the MPR-45 RLA Monopropellent engine. Download is over at the RLA thread.

Welp, launch scrubbed. Only 1 second launch window, and range tracking went no go too late. :c

I was there... Very dissapointing. My location was just a few miles from the pad. Could see the entire rocket just sitting on the pad, ready to go.

vB87g9Il.jpg

Edited by curtquarquesso

Quick helper - the previous Module Manager CFG that added placeholder IVAs to the command pods spurred me to make one that will add placeholder IVAs to ANY crewable part that does NOT already have an IVA. So it's automatic and will catch Tantares AND stock parts that are IVAless.

@PART
[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity
[*],!INTERNAL
[*]]:Final{
INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}
}

Copy/paste this into a text file named "MM_AddIVA.cfg" and let do it's automagic work for you (ModuleManager required, of course)

- - - Updated - - -

AHA! It happened to someone else! I posted a screenshot of this a few pages back. My cone actually started floating mid-flight.
Yeah, there's a bug out there!

It manifests when any V-2 part is a root part and that root part becomes smaller when you're reverting to launch.

Then I know what's causing it.

It's because

1. Squad can't/won't fix a buggy command
  2. Beale keeps using the buggy command

In a part config file you can reference the model mesh file in one of two ways.

First (Older)

mesh = meshfilename.mu

Second (Newer and Bugged)

MODEL{
model = path/meshfilename
texture = filename, path/filename
}

When the second version is used, and the part is the ROOT part of the vessel, AND you revert to launch or reload in any other way - the part shrinks and gaps appear.

If the first version is used, this doesn't happen.

As far as I can see, the ONLY advantage of using the MODEL{} construct is that it can reference a meshfilename OUTSIDE the folder that that config file is in. If the config file and the mesh file live in the same folder, then there is no advantage to using the MODEL{} construct over the older "mesh =" variable.

Therefore, if you wish, you could edit the config files and comment out the MODEL{} part and replace it with "mesh= meshfilename.mu". I can't speak for ALL cases, but I have done this with a few of the Tantares parts with no discernible ill effect.

Can you upload the log file please? I have an idea why he does this, but it needs checking.

Ok. I will upload the last few log files. However, I do not know how to take a long when the game is loading (and then stops when it gets to the engine components)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ty2suacqov4b3ht/Last%204%20crash%20logs.zip?dl=0

In convenient zip form!