[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

4 hours ago, Dan_Kerman said:

Forgive if I offended someone, but it is possible to combine two versions of "KOSMOS" in one version?

You could put the upper stage of one onto the lower stage of another, but they really aren't the same rocket. 

And why would that offend anyone? 

6 hours ago, Dan_Kerman said:

Forgive if I offended someone, but it is possible to combine two versions of "KOSMOS" in one version?

5 hours ago, TK-313 said:

It's not because these are two different rockets. Really.

2 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

You could put the upper stage of one onto the lower stage of another, but they really aren't the same rocket. 

And why would that offend anyone? 

Yeah, they are not so great a fit at different sizes. You can produce a few "interesting" things though.

I2odJUZ.png
2Tk2NUo.png

5 hours ago, Dan_Kerman said:

how read this, the translator can not cope:/

I'm sorry if English is not your native language and you're having trouble reading this.  Outside the international forums, everything posted here must be in English (it's a forum rule, 2.3.c), which means basically the only options for non-English speakers are either to make do with translation software or else post in the forum for their language (if there is one).

We currently have international forums for the following languages:

• Spanish
  • Portuguese
  • Japanese
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • French
  • German
  • Italian

Hope you may find this helpful, sorry we can't do more than that.

17 hours ago, Snark said:

I'm sorry if English is not your native language and you're having trouble reading this.  Outside the international forums, everything posted here must be in English (it's a forum rule, 2.3.c), which means basically the only options for non-English speakers are either to make do with translation software or else post in the forum for their language (if there is one).

We currently have international forums for the following languages:

• Spanish
  • Portuguese
  • Japanese
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • French
  • German
  • Italian

Hope you may find this helpful, sorry we can't do more than that. 

18 hours ago, Beale said:

Yeah, they are not so great a fit at different sizes. You can produce a few "interesting" things though. 

I2odJUZ.png
2Tk2NUo.png

Don't think I'm having a hard time translating this, I just don't understand a couple of unimportant messages. The second problem is that I do not show the exhaust from the engine of this new strange rocket, what is the reason and how can it be solved?

11 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Zenit-R

YD5Jgon.png

I think entire thread over, you just won! :D 

4 hours ago, profane-panda said:

Is it just me, or are the Soyuz-FG analog parts much smaller than the actual orbital engines? Its impossible to put an actual soyuz on the proper looking rocket without a stupidly large fairing.

You're not crazy, the second stage is a little undersized (Around 30cm around each side). I hope to fix this in the near future.
Still, the fairing should allow it to be fairly tight, do you have pics of the current setup?

22 hours ago, profane-panda said:

Is it just me, or are the Soyuz-FG analog parts much smaller than the actual orbital engines? Its impossible to put an actual soyuz on the proper looking rocket without a stupidly large fairing.

It isn't sooo big

S7JIFxs.png

Edited by Drakenex

14 hours ago, Drakenex said:
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:33 AM, profane-panda said:

It isn't sooo big

It is. I guess Tantares parts is too small and too thin. Look.

Spoiler
x3v-74wx_DQ.jpg

I love it anyway. Thank you Beale !

Edited by StriZ
wrong img

@Beale, getting a lot of errors in the log regarding decouplers: http://www.jh4c.com/ksp/b9.KSP.log.zip for reference, many repeats of "[ERR 14:41:26.220] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler" (timestamps vary, ofc.)

Also, a deprecated part's throwing up a build error:

[LOG 14:41:25.982] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'TantaresLV/Parts/PROTON/xxDeprecatedALV_LFO_A/ALV_LFO_A'
[ERR 14:41:25.982] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'TantaresLV/Parts/ALV/Proton_2_LFO_1' as model does not exist

[ERR 14:41:25.982] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 14:41:25.982] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 14:41:25.982] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Presumably, being deprecated this isn't going to affect many people, but I thought it worth mentioning in case I'm mistaken.

17 hours ago, damonvv said:

QSEZEnA.jpg

Love the update!

Amazing! Actual audio of landing.

14 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

KXSxQyA.jpg

I love these mashups, nice :D

1 hour ago, JH4C said:

@Beale, getting a lot of errors in the log regarding decouplers: http://www.jh4c.com/ksp/b9.KSP.log.zip for reference, many repeats of "[ERR 14:41:26.220] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler" (timestamps vary, ofc.)

Also, a deprecated part's throwing up a build error:

-

Presumably, being deprecated this isn't going to affect many people, but I thought it worth mentioning in case I'm mistaken.

Much appreciated! Hopefully would not cause serious issues but I will see to fix these. There is a lot of legacy fluff floating in the files. About time I cleaned things. :)

1 hour ago, StriZ said:

It is. I guess Tantares parts is too small and too thin. Look.

Hide contents
x3v-74wx_DQ.jpg

I love it anyway. Thank you Beale !

Yes, I would like to increase the second stage to have it a little closer to reality :) (Optionally for those who want this).

Right now there are optional models in the Tantares download, if you want exact scale models, swap the normal .MU files with the _E suffix files.

PjlN7TP.png

If @Beale finds himself in the mood for making some orbital experiments from the Roskosmos age, this can be an interesting one... The Znamya (Banner) series of experiments was all about space mirrors/solar sails that were unfolded and held in place by centrifugal force (i.e. the ship had to rotate to unfold the mirror), consisting of:

958c1447c05a8d51d2cc17a99b166a53.jpgfK-2XSlwjCA.jpg

Znamya-2 - 20 m in diameter, based on a Progress ship. Launched in 1992. Successful - created a spot of light ~8 km in diameter and with a luminosity equivalent to approximately that of a full moon.

ZMir.jpe

Znamya-2.5 - 25 m in diameter, expected to create a bright spot 7 km in diameter, with luminosity between five and ten full moons. Based on another Progress. Launched in 1999. Failed due to the reflector catching on the ship's antenna and tearing. Program cancelled. Also, this article explores various unfolding mechanisms that could be used to prevent this failure in the future.

slide_9.jpg

Znamya-3 - deploying in 2 stages, the smaller reflector being 25 m in diameter and the bigger one - 60 m. Based on a heavily modified Progress with an added inertial control system (to minimize fuel costs of maintaining attitude). Intended for 2008. Never built due to program's cancellation. More pics of it here.

Edited by TK-313

Don't get me wrong, I am in absolute LOVE with this mod. It has changed how I have played KSP, and when combined with several other mods, makes the Wiki-made campaign incredibly fun to play. When you get a chance though, I'd love to see the Soyuz-FG rocket be made proportional to the actual soyuz. 

15 hours ago, profane-panda said:

Don't get me wrong, I am in absolute LOVE with this mod. It has changed how I have played KSP, and when combined with several other mods, makes the Wiki-made campaign incredibly fun to play. When you get a chance though, I'd love to see the Soyuz-FG rocket be made proportional to the actual soyuz. 

@Beale Just answered this up a few posts...

22 hours ago, Beale said:

Yes, I would like to increase the second stage to have it a little closer to reality :) (Optionally for those who want this).

Right now there are optional models in the Tantares download, if you want exact scale models, swap the normal .MU files with the _E suffix files.

PjlN7TP.png

16 hours ago, TK-313 said:

If @Beale finds himself in the mood for making some orbital experiments from the Roskosmos age, this can be an interesting one... The Znamya (Banner) series of experiments was all about space mirrors/solar sails that were unfolded and held in place by centrifugal force (i.e. the ship had to rotate to unfold the mirror), consisting of:

Znamya-2 - 20 m in diameter, based on a Progress ship. Launched in 1992. Successful - created a spot of light ~8 km in diameter and with a luminosity equivalent to approximately that of a full moon.

Znamya-2.5 - 5 m in diameter, expected to create a bright spot 7 km in diameter, with luminosity between five and ten full moons. Based on another Progress. Launched in 1999. Failed due to the reflector catching on the ship's antenna and tearing. Program cancelled. Also, this article explores various unfolding mechanisms that could be used to prevent this failure in the future.

slide_9.jpg

Znamya-3 - deploying in 2 stages, the smaller reflector being 25 m in diameter and the bigger one - 60 m. Based on a heavily modified Progress with an added inertial control system (to minimize fuel costs of maintaining attitude). Intended for 2008. Never built due to program's cancellation. More pics of it here.

I had Znamya 2 model a while back, but I lacked the sources to finish it well. But this! Znamya 3 is excellent! And the schematics are a great help too. This could be a really cool mini-project.

15 hours ago, profane-panda said:

15 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Beale Just answered this up a few posts...

I think it is probably worth having as a default, instead of having to change files in the end :)
Currently the Soyuz does not look quite correct...

I will play around with some models.

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

I had Znamya 2 model a while back, but I lacked the sources to finish it well. But this! Znamya 3 is excellent! And the schematics are a great help too. This could be a really cool mini-project. 

I'm glad that you like it! Oh, and I just reread that presentation properly... So Znamya-3 was planned not exactly as an end-of-the-line project, but rather as a testbed for the new solar sail and its deployment system. This fact alone left my head buzzing with images of might-have-been long-distance probes.

And the whole "lighting up Earth's cities" application. Imagine those mission texts. "The folks at XXX have decided that in the age of space, street lights are obsolete. It's time for sky lights! Place a Znamya-(2/2.5/3) in Kerbostationary orbit with an inclination of YYY."

38938193.gif

Edited by TK-313

@Beale, it's no big thing but I just realised there's a duplication of part designations between this mod and PorkJet's Parts Overhaul. One of the engines PorkJet built is designated LV-T15, a name which is also used by your Blok-D LFO engine. The number is embedded in the texture of PorkJet's model, so there's not really any way to adjust things on that end. I'm not saying anything need be done about it, there's no other conflict and the game cannot confuse them; I just found it interesting & thought I'd share.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:47 PM, TK-313 said:

I'm glad that you like it! Oh, and I just reread that presentation properly... So Znamya-3 was planned not exactly as an end-of-the-line project, but rather as a testbed for the new solar sail and its deployment system. This fact alone left my head buzzing with images of might-have-been long-distance probes.

And the whole "lighting up Earth's cities" application. Imagine those mission texts. "The folks at XXX have decided that in the age of space, street lights are obsolete. It's time for sky lights! Place a Znamya-(2/2.5/3) in Kerbostationary orbit with an inclination of YYY."

And perfect science parts are usually so hard to formulate :D This sounds great.

49 minutes ago, space_powder said:

Is there a way to retexture the R-0122 engine, so the red stripe on the bell is grey? I want it to fit in with the aesthetic of my Energia and make it more powerful, because the R-0120 isn't powerful enough for me

If you have some software that can open .DDS files (Paint.NET and Gimp I think can both do this and are free) you can probably get a nice result by just opening the file and using a greyscale filter.

The texture you need to edit is Texture_RLV_General_3.dds in the TantaresLV/Parts/ENERGIA folder.

Let me know if you have any issues :) 

23 minutes ago, JH4C said:

@Beale, it's no big thing but I just realised there's a duplication of part designations between this mod and PorkJet's Parts Overhaul. One of the engines PorkJet built is designated LV-T15, a name which is also used by your Blok-D LFO engine. The number is embedded in the texture of PorkJet's model, so there's not really any way to adjust things on that end. I'm not saying anything need be done about it, there's no other conflict and the game cannot confuse them; I just found it interesting & thought I'd share.

I will go on record and say mine came first :wink: 

Yes the Blok-D is long overdue a revamp, this should be addressed.