[1.2] NavHud - a NavBall inspired Heads Up Display - 1.3.3

Ninenium

Good job Addle! I have to admit I haven't thoroughly tested alpha channel option. Obviously not playing enough KSP :P.

After studying some tutorials on yt you can find me on GitHub now: https://github.com/Ninenium/NavHud. I think I'm getting the hang of git. bad pun is bad

haha, Thanks a lot, Ninenium. Much appreciated. Well, deleted my version, forked yours and re-integrated the changes I've made, and made a pull request to your repo. Any (unofficial) changes I make will be in my version's releases, if anyone wants the fixes before Ninenium pulls and re-releases.

A .version file was also added for KSP-AVC. This points at your repository, which currently does not have release files, but once you do, it'll notify AVC users when you release a new version. Very useful.

Thanks to you, Ninenium, obviously. Thanks for to shimmythejj for reporting bugs, testing, and showing off NavHud on his streams. Also, thanks to overloadut for the idea of setting the default alphas for secondary lines lower, and to kofeyh for accidentally clicking on the time warp when trying to move the windows from their default positions, and convincing me that I should move them (because I totally did that too, hehe). All the above streamers are not only entertaining, but have also exposed more people to NavHud, and helped me fix things.

This mod is a game changer! It actually enhances the game without acting as a crutch. It gives you the "seat of the pants" intuition of your situation when using the regular outside viewpoint. It's actually realistic in that respect. Say you were flying a real airplane, and you start falling. You would instantly feel it. The NavHud lets you instantly see it.

Good Job!

Now if only there was a throttle indication somewhere near the heading vector (a numeric percentage would be good), then I'd be able to turn off that old annoying navball once and for all!

Nineunium, this is an absolutely fantastic mod - one I would say is essentially a must have even for those who want to limit their mods. Fantastic job!

One (small) issue I have with v1.1 is that the alpha isn't saved so it is reset with each flight. I tried to edit the config file and add what I guessed the lines would be to save the alpha channel, but no such luck. Is there a way to save the alpha or is that going to be added in the future? I could always modify the dll in my spare time if it isn't something planned, but my programming is rusty and I'd rather leave it up to the amazing mod makers such as yourself.

Nineunium, this is an absolutely fantastic mod - one I would say is essentially a must have even for those who want to limit their mods. Fantastic job!

One (small) issue I have with v1.1 is that the alpha isn't saved so it is reset with each flight. I tried to edit the config file and add what I guessed the lines would be to save the alpha channel, but no such luck. Is there a way to save the alpha or is that going to be added in the future? I could always modify the dll in my spare time if it isn't something planned, but my programming is rusty and I'd rather leave it up to the amazing mod makers such as yourself.

I pushed a fix for that (and some other things) to Ninenium's repo, so that should be fixed in the next release. You can get my own (unofficial) release from my Github at https://github.com/RealGrep/NavHud/releases, if you can't wait. Just remember that it's an unofficial pre-release, but it's the same as exists in Ninenium's repository, at the moment. If you use AVC, you'll get a notice that there's an update. It's a pre-release, so ignore that for now. We'll be sorting out the release process and AVC, soon.

Thanks for reporting that bug, anyway. Bug reports are always appreciated. It has been fixed, so no worries. Soon!

Version 1.1.1 of NavHud is up. Bugs where fixed by Addle, Thanks again!

Download is now also available on GitHub: https://github.com/Ninenium/NavHud/releases

Changes:

- Fixed reset button bug (Addle)

- Fixed alpha channel save bug (Addle)

- Tweaked default alpha channel setting (Addle)

- Changed default window position (Addle)

- Added KSP-AVC support (Addle)

- Tweaked heading marker

• 4 weeks later...
What kind of features?

The ones described at that link, the big one is:

"Added a HUD text display so the navball can be closed completely without missing the information contained on it. Also added settings options for it. Note that holding LeftAlt and hitting the toggle key will cycle through the speed display modes (Surface, Orbit and Target)."

The ones described at that link, the big one is:

"Added a HUD text display so the navball can be closed completely without missing the information contained on it. Also added settings options for it. Note that holding LeftAlt and hitting the toggle key will cycle through the speed display modes (Surface, Orbit and Target)."

I tried that fork and don't see SAS or RCS indicators, nor do I see G forces. Seems all it has is velocity, throttle, and maneuver node info.

(HDG is missing too but I never pay attention to that one :))

I tried that fork and don't see SAS or RCS indicators, nor do I see G forces. Seems all it has is velocity, throttle, and maneuver node info.

(HDG is missing too but I never pay attention to that one :))

Yep, I will add those very soon, and then see about a release. And I totally forgot about the heading, actually. I've ignored it for so long, I don't even see it anymore. hehe Well, I'll pop it in there, as well.

I'll work on it later tonight, when I have time. Also, for some reason, I hadn't subscribed to this thread, which is now remedied. So I'll see the posts more quickly. Sorry about not responding to things a bit quicker...

EDIT: I dropped a version with that in my github pre-releases, if anyone wants to test it, offer suggestions, etc. ( https://github.com/RealGrep/NavHud/releases/tag/v1.1.2rc3 )

Edited by Addle

Do you mean something like a minimap? It would be probably be easier to make a separate mod for this.

Currently I'm adding some indicators (triangles) on the screen edge that point to markers that are out of view. I'm also trying (more experimenting really) to reduce the jitter/bouncing of the markers that happens when moving at low speeds (< 1 m/s).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up. NavHud seems to work just fine in 0.25. We will be providing an update recompiled for 0.25 and with the new text hud feature soon.

EDIT: Done, and Ninenium has added edge markers and anti-jitter for markers. They are pretty darn cool. For anyone either impatient or who would like to test: https://github.com/RealGrep/NavHud/releases/tag/v1.1.2rc6 . Changes have been pushed to Ninenium's repository. Please report any issues you have to us. Enjoy!

EDIT of EDIT: Updated link to rc6, and thanks to hvacengi for reporting a small issue with the hud showing up in map view when NavHud in the map view is disabled.

Edited by Addle

version 1.1.2 is now available, enjoy!

This is exactly the same as version 1.1.2rc6 released by Addle. So if you've got that one then you are already up to date.

Changes:

version 1.1.2

- Added triangles at screen edge that point to markers that are out of view.

- Added smoothing to markers at speeds below 1 m/s.

- Added a HUD text display so the navball can be closed completely without missing the information contained on it. Also added settings options for it. Note that holding LeftAlt and hitting the toggle key will cycle through the speed display modes (Surface, Orbit and Target). (Addle)

Thanks Addle for adding the text display and suggesting the other features.

Thanks Addle for adding the text display and suggesting the other features.

Thanks, and let me say that you're a pleasure to work with, and that you really outdid yourself with these new features. Great job! This mod has apparently become a major "must have" for a lot of people (myself included).

• 2 weeks later...
The extra speed info overlaps the navball when its open. Is there a way to disable or move the new text or is it something to be fixed?

These options are available in the menu as "show text hud" and "lock text hud". You can open the menu by pressing the button labelled "NH" (if you have the toolbar mod installed you can find the corresponding button there). And also: welcome to the forums!:D

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I figured with 0.90 released, a new version for 0.90 was in order. I've put my latest version in the usual place (https://github.com/RealGrep/NavHud/releases, as in the first post). Changes are shown there. Let me know if you have issues, of course!

A pull request has been made to Ninenium's repository so he can review the changes and presumably make an official release.

Enjoy! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.