[1.3] Proximity audio alarm (landing aid)

Biff Space

Anyone tested this in .24 yet?

I believe v 1.1 will work with 0.24, but there is a new version available now, with some important improvements, the main ones being integration with blizzy78's toolbar (optional), and a smashing new part model kindly made for me by Justin Kerbice:

Kf4XFE4.jpg

There have also been some improvements to the GUI, and the device is better at switching itself off when it isn't needed, during launch for one. Optionally, it can be set to turn off when parachutes are deployed, or when the vessel is a rover.

Details and download address are in the OP.

Well done ;).

The picture above is not kind to the texture I've made which looks a lot more better (when KSP texture details set to high-res/max), highly recommended to use a texture reducer plug-in if you're KSP is close to the 32b memory limit, or decrease texture quality setting.

Z6vUOZB.jpg

(with clipping issue as node location was wrong at this time).

• 2 weeks later...

New version available, the main difference is that the new stock toolbar is used by default (although you can change the config file and use blizzy's if you want). A few other GUI tweaks and small bug fixes are included.

Nice, but whre do you enter the Blizzy option? All there is in the config file is this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[Proximity]]:Final
{
//enables Proximity on all pods and probes//
MODULE
{
name = Proximity
}
}

Nice, but whre do you enter the Blizzy option? All there is in the config file is this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[Proximity]]:Final
{
//enables Proximity on all pods and probes//
MODULE
{
name = Proximity
}
}

Ah, sorry, I haven't been clear. That file is the config for Module Manager, and the settings are in a different place. The settings file isn't part of the download package, it is created the first time that Proximity is saved (on change of scene).

The location of the settings file is

<Your KSP folder>\GameData\Proximity\Plugins\PluginData\Proximityconfig.xml

There is a line in that which looks like:

<string name="Toolbar">stock</string>

and you need to replace the word 'stock' with 'blizzy'. (Use notepad or some other simple text editor, not a word processor.)

You should change the file when KSP is not running (else it will overwrite it when it exits), and proximity should be available for blizzy's toolbar when it is started up again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so Im been doing some homework on the gpws and not much has come up on google,youtube,flight simulator x forums and etc, But what I did find are some sound effects the bitching betty nagging nadia and the boeing Gpws I hope this helps Ill keep looking for more info personally I think the nagging nadia sounds better for this plug in

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wr10yv8i7gz7by5/AABABK9IQXwXhFcXe-neAXDla?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/64vdimwm72eetcx/AABowEmDRa1dOWUdDB00nazOa?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qy4ecoi4jn4dyr6/AABBKn4NAlYaDqS8jQ13Y66Da?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have updated Proximity to work with the current version of KSP (1.0.5.2). I know there will be another KSP out soon, but I have just come back to KSP and I hope some of you will get some fun out of the new version. Sorry for the lack of updates for the last year. 

In the future, I hope to keep the project compatible with whatever new releases of KSP come out, but I do not plan to significantly add or alter functionality. If you wish to make your own version, you have my blessing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Am I supposed to get the proximity alarm without having the part on my vessel?  This seems to be the behavior in 1.1.2

If Module Manager is installed, and the appropriate tech tree node has been researched, then yes. This research requirement for Proximity being added to command pods is a recent change in behaviour. 

It now requires that the Landing tech node is researched before it works, and until this is researched the toolbar button is greyed out and does nothing. (Previous versions made the part unavailable until the node was researched, but Proximity still worked if it was added to command pods by Module Manager.)

I think that this is probably what is happening here. If you have researched the landing node and the button is still greyed out, there is a problem - please let me know

If you want Proximity functionality available from the start of the game, you can edit the part config file:

(KSP folder)\GameData\Proximity\Parts\Proximity\part.cfg

Change the line reading

TechRequired = landing

to

TechRequired = start

On 6/25/2016 at 1:54 PM, Biff Space said:

If Module Manager is installed, and the appropriate tech tree node has been researched, then yes. This research requirement for Proximity being added to command pods is a recent change in behaviour. 

It now requires that the Landing tech node is researched before it works, and until this is researched the toolbar button is greyed out and does nothing. (Previous versions made the part unavailable until the node was researched, but Proximity still worked if it was added to command pods by Module Manager.)

I think that this is probably what is happening here. If you have researched the landing node and the button is still greyed out, there is a problem - please let me know

If you want Proximity functionality available from the start of the game, you can edit the part config file:

(KSP folder)\GameData\Proximity\Parts\Proximity\part.cfg

Change the line reading

TechRequired = landing

to

TechRequired = start

I follow, I was just expecting to have to use the part to get the functionality.   I suppose less parts is better in the long run. 

@Biff Space, great mod! wanted to ask however, is it possible to invert the pitch of the landing sound as you approach the ground? It's sort of counter-intuitive for me that the pitch goes deeper as you get closer to the ground? maybe an option that you can add? Thanks again for your work on this mod!!

1 hour ago, ultraviolet150 said:

@Biff Space, great mod! wanted to ask however, is it possible to invert the pitch of the landing sound as you approach the ground? It's sort of counter-intuitive for me that the pitch goes deeper as you get closer to the ground? maybe an option that you can add? Thanks again for your work on this mod!!

I'm glad you are enjoying the mod! :)

However, you've got the wrong end of the stick about the variable pitch mode. I'll explain in detail, because this seems to have confused a few people (I hope I don't sound patronizing).

In any mode, the beeps get closer together as you get nearer the ground, so when you are just in Proximity range, they are far apart, and when you are a few metres from the surface they are pretty much on top of each other. In fixed-pitch mode, you always get the same beep, but in variable pitch mode, some extra information is 'encoded' in the beep and this extra information is a ratio of vertical velocity and distance above ground. This means that:

high above the surface, high velocity - low pitched beeps (ie, a 'safe' sound)

high above the surface, low velocity - low pitched beeps (ie, a 'safe' sound)

near the surface, low velocity - low pitched beeps (ie, a 'safe' sound - congratulations, safe landing)

near the surface, high velocity - high pitched beeps (ie, a 'danger!' sound - maybe some thrust?)

The best way to try this out is to do some deliberate crash landings to hear the difference - it sounds like you are landing 'too safely' at the moment!

Edited by Biff Space

6 hours ago, Biff Space said:

I'm glad you are enjoying the mod! :)

However, you've got the wrong end of the stick about the variable pitch mode. I'll explain in detail, because this seems to have confused a few people (I hope I don't sound patronizing).

In any mode, the beeps get closer together as you get nearer the ground, so when you are just in Proximity range, they are far apart, and when you are a few metres from the surface they are pretty much on top of each other. In fixed-pitch mode, you always get the same beep, but in variable pitch mode, some extra information is 'encoded' in the beep and this extra information is a ratio of vertical velocity and distance above ground. This means that:

high above the surface, high velocity - low pitched beeps (ie, a 'safe' sound)

high above the surface, low velocity - low pitched beeps (ie, a 'safe' sound)

near the surface, low velocity - low pitched beeps (ie, a 'safe' sound - congratulations, safe landing)

near the surface, high velocity - high pitched beeps (ie, a 'danger!' sound - maybe some thrust?)

The best way to try this out is to do some deliberate crash landings to hear the difference - it sounds like you are landing 'too safely' at the moment!

Aaah! So it's not just the distance! Thanks for that clarification! No, then the way it works makes absolute sense! I hope I didn't offend by being ignorant. 

Thanks again for the mod as well as the explanation! 

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.