[WIP] Mass Driver Parts and Plugin, request for modeling help!

PeterDolan

Cheers. Some stuff I can do, but the time I spend working on a texture, applying it to the model, then thinking 'that looks awful' could be much better applied to making funky new models and animations. I'm just no good with the 2D tools!

Actually, what I'll do is create a Git repo which replicates the mass driver stuff in my KSP dev install. I keep a stable and test version. That way it'll always be up to date and you can pull over to your repo as you wish for the bigger changes.

Edited by lo-fi

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for bumping this with annoying questions, but will it be possible to display/directly set the desired speed of the projectile and calculate the required megajoules instead of blindly setting the megajoules? It would be nice to have a little display that shows the mass of the payload with a text box for inputting an exit velocity, with a handy orbital parameter and required energy calculator thrown in. Squad's "tweakables" sliders are pretty damn clumsy to be using for precision stuff like targeting a precise orbit by adjusting the power going into a mass driver. If you are already working on something like that then carry on, and if not, then I hope you consider it!

I'm not really sure. I've been busy with my plugin writing, wheels and anti-grav repulsors so haven't spent a lot of time on it. I did pm Peter a while back but he never replied and I've not seen any activity since. The source is there and the model is in a state where it could be textured, though currently have nobody to do that. Ancillary models still need creating, and we have the loading/reloading issue to overcome.

That's a nice idea, I like that. I think it's achievable, though much more difficult to calculate in atmosphere...

Hm yes I hadn't really thought of that - quicksaves and trial and error would have to do on bodies with atmospheres. But being able to set the exit velocity would be of tremendous value no matter the planet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have some ideas, but lack time at the moment :/

It needs a lot of work, and we never even got to the bottom how to load the thing!

I suggest we open discussion on how the thing is going to be utilised/operated so there is a clear direction for resuming development.

I favour having capsules that load into the driver, much like cargo bays. It puts a limit on the size of vessel you can launch in any given driver. Though you still have to load a vessel into a capsule... Anyone else got any bright ideas?

I had a capsule/cargo version in mind too, until this mod appeared: Hangar Mod

If the code of that mod could be implemented into the mass driver, loading it would be really easy.

A "stock" part could be a single cargo part with integrated probe core, SAS, RCS, heat shield and a small engine for corrections and a modular fuel tank as cargo section.

Another thing to implement: I encountered a problem with DRE when launching from the mass driver, every time (no matter what part) the launched vessel got destroyed because of the gforce limitations (even in space). Maybe this could be somehow circumvented.

Interesting, that hanger mod might be quite helpful...

I'm not sure about how to tackle the G load at the moment, that's a tricky one. I've not looked into those bits of the API though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if anyone cares, the last dll that Peter posted works with this part file. Caveats:

1) only 32 bit

2) power past 49% acts funny, so stick to the first half of the power gauge

It'll be compatible with the standard clampotron for connecting parts.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Megajoules
density = 0.000
flowMode = NO_FLOW
transfer = NONE
}

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = massdriver_single
module = Part
author = Peter, with help by spiritplumber

MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortLarge/model
position = 0, 0, 0
scale = 0.5, 4.0, 0.5
rotation = 0, 0, 0
// parent = anotherModelTransform <---------Not necessary unless Second or subsequent part.
// texture = model000 , Squad/Parts/Command/probeCoreOcto/model000
// texture = model001 , Squad/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTank2-2/model001
}

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.16, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_decoupler_fire = decouple

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = advConstruction
entryCost = 28000
cost = 440
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = Mass Driver Base
manufacturer = Robots Everywhere LLC
description = This docking port contains an advanced mass driver system (Or maybe it's just a big spring, we're not sure) that can be used to fire payloads into a suborbital trajectory. It is compatible with a standard Clamp-o-Tron connector and features shock absorbers for use on a planetary surface. Warrany void if used on a planet with atmosphere.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 3.5
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 30 //10
maxTemp = 3400
fuelCrossFeed = False
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200

//stageOffset = 1
//childStageOffset = 1

MODULE
{
name = MassDriverEjection
DischargeNode = top
Efficiency = 0.8
RailWidthMeters = 1.25
RailRadiusMeters = 0.1
RailResistanceOhms = 0.000000143
MaxMegajoulesDischarged = 1
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Megajoules
amount = 1.1
maxAmount = 1.1
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
referenceAttachNode = top
nodeType = size1
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
activateGUIName = Charger ON
shutdownGUIName = Charger OFF
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 10.0
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 10.0
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Megajoules
rate = 0.01
}
}

// represents leakage
MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
requiresAllInputs = true
isAlwaysActive = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Megajoules
rate = 0.001
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Megajoules
rate = 0.001
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Megajoules
rate = 0.001
}
}

}

• 4 weeks later...

Just popping in here to say the Hangars mod seems like a brilliantly elegant solution for launching multi-part vessels. A real mass driver would probably have to launch things in capsules or special tanks anyhow.

More to the point, however, I would personally like to see massive, Kerb-Town style drivers for heavy payloads (2.5 and especially 3.75). You could construct them using Planetary Launch Pads or a similar mod.

Of note, the only viable mass driver which could launch something as delicate as a living organism would be a huge, long, (relatively)slow acceleration type. Mass drivers have never been particularly viable concept for delicate/manned payloads.

I think that for manned payloads on low gravity bodies with no atmosphere, however, this could be a viable solution.

Hope this is still in development! Even a 1.25 driver would be hugely useful for a Laythe/Duna reusable permanent surface+orbital station (mine karbonite, launch supplies to orbital station, parachute empty vessels back to the surface base.)

Yeah, agreed on the G force and living stuff. This thing would turn the poor froglets into green mist.

I'm afraid the OP seems to have disappeared and no development has happened for months. However, it is quite a cool toy and I now have some ideas for how to make it more than just a docking port with ridiculous ejection force. I'll see what I can come up with in a few spare minutes.

Yeah, agreed on the G force and living stuff. This thing would turn the poor froglets into green mist.

I'm afraid the OP seems to have disappeared and no development has happened for months. However, it is quite a cool toy and I now have some ideas for how to make it more than just a docking port with ridiculous ejection force. I'll see what I can come up with in a few spare minutes.

I've done a sort of rough sketch of a different take on this. Let me know if I can be of any help.

rqLmhFq.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.