Eyes Turned Skywards UPDATE now with Signup Sheet

NathanKell

Don't know where else to ask this, but I have a few questions regarding docking systems and their implementation in the ETS universe. (With the ETS site down I can't skim it for any other details.)

ETS' "Freedom" uses a CADS (Common Advanced Docking System?) which appears to be a docking and berthing form of the CBM. I'm unsure what it's diameter is supposed to be.

(By the way, I can get quite a bit of info about the CBM, but little info on it's design lineage. I'm trying to find out what influences on the design for CBM would be similar to those for the CADS - diameter, shape, etc.)

• Is anyone working on docking parts for this?
  • What are the relative scales for the APAS, Apollo Docking System, and CADS (perhaps CBM for comparison) in KSP?
  • Will the ETS part set have its own versions of these docking ports, or will it use ones from other packs?

Regarding the last two questions, I know the APAS and ADS have similar diameter transfer areas (800mm vs. 810mm iirc). I've been using the FASA ADS ports and the CxAerospace APAS ports. I'm not sure if they're at the same scale in KSP.

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

speaking for stockalike mods, I believe the accepted diameter for APAS is 0.9375m. Out of curiosity, what would Apollo's docking mechanism be? The same?

Are you referring to the diameter for the exterior of the APAS port or it's corresponding interior passageway?

All I know is their irl internal passageway.... we can scale down from that...

To scale (using a 1.70666667 scale factor), the interior passageway diameter should be about 0.47 meters; FASA's Apollo docking ports fit this.

The APAS ports on CxAerospace pack (which I'm using) seem to have too big of a passageway. However I'm not educated as to which portion of the interior diameter is actually the passageway. I'll have to look up more detailed info to be sure.

7 minutes ago, Teslamax said:

Are you referring to the diameter for the exterior of the APAS port or it's corresponding interior passageway?

All I know is their irl internal passageway.... we can scale down from that...

To scale (using a 1.70666667 scale factor), the interior passageway diameter should be about 0.47 meters; FASA's Apollo docking ports fit this.

The APAS ports on CxAerospace pack (which I'm using) seem to have too big of a passageway. However I'm not educated as to which portion of the interior diameter is actually the passageway. I'll have to look up more detailed info to be sure.

oh, I think entirely in terms of outer diameter so the parts all fit together. I have nooo idea how the inner part works haha.

2 hours ago, Teslamax said:

Don't know where else to ask this, but I have a few questions regarding docking systems and their implementation in the ETS universe. (With the ETS site down I can't skim it for any other details.)

ETS' "Freedom" uses a CADS (Common Advanced Docking System?) which appears to be a docking and berthing form of the CBM. I'm unsure what it's diameter is supposed to be.

Our intent was that the Common Androgynous Docking System has roughly the same pass through as the OTL CBM. It's about two meters in diameter, give or take a few centimeters. The CADS hatches on Nixonshead's models represent the closest thing to a "canon" image, if you need specific values to use. Otherwise, something "close enough" from one of the other mod packs can probably do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

The alternatehistory website recently underwent an upgrade which broke all the links to the wiki (which is why you can't see the images on this thread anymore).  The Wiki's now back up, and you can find the ETS section (including my images and links to the .blend files) at http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward

Incidentally, the timeline is now complete, up to alt-2015, and is great reading!  You can find the chapter list for the whole thing on the wiki.  Here's a peek at where it finished:

fetch.php?w=750&tok=a1f8fe&media=timelin

(Also, shameless plug, you might also enjoy my own timeline Kolyma's Shadow).

On 5/16/2016 at 2:50 AM, e of pi said:

Our intent was that the Common Androgynous Docking System has roughly the same pass through as the OTL CBM. It's about two meters in diameter, give or take a few centimeters. The CADS hatches on Nixonshead's models represent the closest thing to a "canon" image, if you need specific values to use. Otherwise, something "close enough" from one of the other mod packs can probably do the job.

One thing to note, most of the Eyes models were built in Blender units which, due to my early inexperience with Blender, when converted to 'real' units (metric or Imperial) internally mean they're at 2x scale.  So if you check the model dimensions and they seem freakishly large, divide by two 

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone ! First time modder here.

I have recently picked up an interest in  modding KSP, and ETS seemed like a good place to start.  Hence, I've started on the long and tedious, but exciting, journey of bringing ETS parts to KSP. 

My current plan is as follows: Mir -> Vulkan -> Longxing -> TKS, and then hopefully include many more parts. The reason I'm doing TKS last is that it already exists in other mods such as  RaiderNick's Soviet Spacecraft pack. I'm unaware of any launch vehicle and its specifications for Longxing though (or I might've forgotten if there are any), and if it is available, then that takes priority over TKS.

I have only recently started, and currently, I'm in the process of changing/remaking the various Mir parts for use in KSP (especially the solar panels). Hopefully, I will put up some images of my progress here in a few days.

A huge thanks to NathanKell for starting the thread, and nixonshead for his Blender models !

11 hours ago, SovietOnion said:

Hello everyone ! First time modder here.

I have recently picked up an interest in  modding KSP, and ETS seemed like a good place to start.  Hence, I've started on the long and tedious, but exciting, journey of bringing ETS parts to KSP. 

My current plan is as follows: Mir -> Vulkan -> Longxing -> TKS, and then hopefully include many more parts. The reason I'm doing TKS last is that it already exists in other mods such as  RaiderNick's Soviet Spacecraft pack. I'm unaware of any launch vehicle and its specifications for Longxing though (or I might've forgotten if there are any), and if it is available, then that takes priority over TKS.

I have only recently started, and currently, I'm in the process of changing/remaking the various Mir parts for use in KSP (especially the solar panels). Hopefully, I will put up some images of my progress here in a few days.

A huge thanks to NathanKell for starting the thread, and nixonshead for his Blender models !

Dude this is like a 5 year necro. Better to start your own thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.