Eyes Turned Skywards UPDATE now with Signup Sheet

NathanKell

Profuse apologies, all! I have been super busy with updating things for .24, with the Kerbin Cup, and with my new job. Here, at last, is what I promised nearly two months ago.

Here is the Worksheet!

On Google Drive

Please edit responsibly.

Please help me fill out cells that haven't been filled out, and start adding your own information to the Contributors list, and start assigning yourself parts (and mention on the Asset Groups you're assigned, and add each individual part you make to the assets list.)

Note: I have not finished the specific asset list, and I have not yet updated the assets based on the work shown in this thread. This is a WIP, but Eyes is such a rich universe that there is a TON of stuff to add.

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not added anything for a while. Here are a few of the Soviet models:

Salyut 7

Mir (all separate modules, includes Tiangong)

TKS (Though I suspect there are better models already on KSP for that one).

Let me know if there's anything you'd like prioritised.

Edited by nixonshead

Hello, everyone! Sorry for not giving any lifesign lately. I have the Apollo Block III engine model ready on another PC I can use again sometime around 27th august. It's a really easy one to make so and I don't know if anyone else has the Block III components taken up to work on. If not, I'll continue it but without a tecture artist they are very ugly. Should I keep working on it?

Here's Beta 2 of the S1 Truss

Texture improvements and the edge-on sun tracking now works for deployed panels

Looking for feedback about where to place the nodes for snapping too

Should the docking ports (2 smaller ones on the bottom and the two larger ones each end) actually be docking ports, if so, what descriptor should they use?

Reddragon: great! No one else has signed up yet, so I'd suggest signing yourself up for now. :) Add yourself to the Block III list on Asset Groups, add the particular assets you're making to the Assets List, and add yourself to the Contributors list.

CluelessModeler: Awesome! PMing shortly. Please also add yourself to the contributos list.

NoMrBond: great! I'll check it out. Also I'll forward that question to e of pi if he doesn't comment soon.

Could you also fill out the sheet?

To other folks who mentioned interest:

If you're still interested in working on this, please let me know! (And sign up...)

NoMrBond: great! I'll check it out. Also I'll forward that question to e of pi if he doesn't comment soon.

Could you also fill out the sheet?

Thanks, thanks and yes, respectively.

The HRS panels (single radiators) are ready, the S1 truss still needs a normal but it's getting there.

Just a heads up, I'm still currently working on Spacelab, just a bit delayed with .24 being released and having to transition to a new 3D Modeling program for Uni.

Not sure about everyone else, but I'm hoping to have Spacelab done completely by the end of the month, including IVA and science experiments.

Looking forward to that!

Is the central truss of the P3-P1-S1-central-S2-P2-P4 (not sure about the numbers there) crossbar assembly for Freedom station a fixed part of the initial (Challenger) module?

Is it launched that way or does it start in-line with the module and then taken off and reattached in the cross orientation in-situ?

Is the central truss of the P3-P1-S1-central-S2-P2-P4 (not sure about the numbers there) crossbar assembly for Freedom station a fixed part of the initial (Challenger) module?

Is it launched that way or does it start in-line with the module and then taken off and reattached in the cross orientation in-situ?

The central part is permanently attached to Challenger and is launched in that position.

Here's an illustration of the assembly sequence:

freedom-construction.gif

More detail of the assembly sequence and launchers used is given in the Eyes Mission List.

I'd be happy to release some of the working files for the Tantares TKS (.obj, .psd textures, etc...) if people want to clean them up / make them more realistic. I really have liked the Eyes turned skyward series from what I read so far. :)

The central part is permanently attached to Challenger and is launched in that position.

Here's an illustration of the assembly sequence:

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/timelines/freedom-construction.gif

More detail of the assembly sequence and launchers used is given in the Eyes Mission List.

Will there be more spacing between the solar array trusses. They seem really close together. Unless that is by design then job well done lol.

Will there be more spacing between the solar array trusses. They seem really close together. Unless that is by design then job well done lol.

That's how it was designed, based on the files I got from e of pi, so I'll defer to him on the spacing.

One more update, the Vulkan launch vehicle family.

Should the docking ports (2 smaller ones on the bottom and the two larger ones each end) actually be docking ports, if so, what descriptor should they use?
There should just be the two ports, one at each end. In-universe, they're "CADS"--Common Androgynous Docking System, a kind of dockable-CBM kind of thing.

Right-o, I might leave that to whomever has picked up the Challenger module then, unless the answer is no-one in which case I might look at it after the S and P truss sections.

I should put the .blend up for the S1 so the profiles can be exactly matching if there was a taker for Challenger already so this can be coordinated

[Edit] NathanKell's gDrive sheet has no takers for other Freedom station parts as yet so I'll just keep working as time permits

There should just be the two ports, one at each end. In-universe, they're "CADS"--Common Androgynous Docking System, a kind of dockable-CBM kind of thing.

Thanks, for an androgynous system the model seemed to have a M/F or +/- ends though, should it have the same CADS model on each end?

Thanks, for an androgynous system the model seemed to have a M/F or +/- ends though, should it have the same CADS model on each end?

They should be the same ports, but sometimes rotated by 45 degrees to let the petals (4x) align without the docking spacecraft (in this case the truss) having to rotate to align them. The docking spacecraft are similarly twisted so their square hatches match up with those on the station, but strictly speaking this isn't necessary in order to dock, it's just done to maximise the clearance when passing through the hatches.

Just a quick question about the Spacelab Solar Panels.

Do they fold in on themselves, because it doesn't seem like the outer panel can fit inside the inner panels shroud?

They fold...more like this:

|\    /
| \ /
| \/

...where the panels deploy from the bottom side of the "V". (An additional small fairing covers the outer panels during launch, part of the mods to avoid a repeat of Skylab's launch issues.)

It's by design--I was getting a bit twitchy about how long those inboard trusses were getting, considering the entire radiators and inner solar aray segment were to fit into a single launch--it was turning into a very long fairing. Once those inboards were sized, then sizing the outer trusses to use the same spacing seemed only sensible. Minimizing redundant design stages is sort of an occasional theme in Eyes.

They fold...more like this:

|\    /
| \ /
| \/

...where the panels deploy from the bottom side of the "V". (An additional small fairing covers the outer panels during launch, part of the mods to avoid a repeat of Skylab's launch issues.)

Thanks e of pi, was struggling to figure out how that worked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.