The Open Part Mod - Week 4 Voting Started

Week 4 submissions  

1. 1. Week 4 submissions

I voted for Ven's, I would put StarVision in second, and me and Darkside tied for 3rd. Mine isn't that great, and Darkside's is a bit to busy IMO. For more in depth analysis, I will critique each individually, :D.

Darkside: Yours is certainly the most detailed, though it has a colour scheme that doesn't fit in with the stock ion engine and tank. Also its hard to tell what type of tank it is trying to look like, the light grey on the sphere part looks kind of like plaster.

Robotengineer(me): It looks as though you don't know how to make a normal map and included it because you had to. The colour scheme is ok, but the weathering details are not that good.

StarVision: Yours looks most like the stock tank, and I almost voted for it. The one downside IMO, is the texture of the sphere, is it supposed to be a sort of metal foil?

Ven: The cleanest design, and the best textured. That's why you got my vote.

Good job all, and thank you for participating.

Darkside

I almost voted for this one on account for its good and original design (love the spherical tank with the effect), but the bolts on the bottom/top bits look low quality which drags the rest down.

Robotengineer

It's not bad, but it didn't grab me like the other designs do. The colors scheme doesn't feel right.

StarVision

The detail between the spherical tank and the rest clashes too much. The former is super-detailed and the latter too bland.

Ven

This copies the style of the stock tanks, making it a bit unoriginal. On the other hand, and this was the clincher, it emulates the stock style to a T. Find you own style is a challenge, but so is wearing someone else's like it's your own.

Darkside: I really like the unique style on this one, very realistic. However I'm not sure how well it would fit into the game.

Robotengineer: I like this one because there's lots of subtle details. It's not too simple or complex.

StarVision (Me): I threw on the Bump map last minute, and I kind of wished I'd spent more time on it. Here's what it would of looked like without it.

Ven: Looks a lot like the stock xenon tank but bigger. I really like the text on the sides. It makes it much more interesting.

Cpt. Kipard: The model is great, and I love it.

Overall I learned quite a bit about bump mapping and the like, and I'm glad this week had a different approach. Looking forward to whatever is next!

Darkside: Looking very realistic, but it dosen't fit well with the stock game.

Robotengineer: Not bad! But it looks too low detail.

Starvision: Pretty nice, I like it. But the ball in the center is a bit too.. bumpy.

Ven: Perfect, and fits with the stock game- high detail too!

Ven, you have won. I'm calling this now. (30 votes to one... :P)

Robotengineer:

Ok so I took a peak into your texture, While a drastic improvement over your past entries, still need improvement.Unfortunately I couldn't find an .XCF in the download, so I can't comment on your layering process, but here is how I do it:

1. The UV
  2. Ambient Occlusion
  3. dark
  4. light (light Hard for those really sharp highlights)
  5. wear (scratches and scuff marks)
  6. details (markings, decorative lines, warning labels, etc)
  7. Base (all base colors, no more no less.
  8. Patterns (added texture, by using either multiply, or overlay, For dark and light patterns respectively)

Just some random tips:

• If I don't know how a certain line or color will look, put it into a separate layer
  • Play around with the layer settings (multiply, overlay, difference), and pick one that looks the best.
  • Think about giving certain colors slight hues, Ex: blue for metal

Anyways, moving on. Picture: (.Xcf is here)

Open25XenonColour_zpsd6945ca6.png

Mostly step by step. Stages proceed from right to left, with the right part being mostly unfinished. (a tad bit overdone for visibility)

I voted Darkside, as I think he did the most with the textures.

I really like the tank and how it has a ribbed like look to it.

The only thing I don't like is the blue part. It doesn't seem to fit, maybe if it had heavy paint chipping it might work better?

It was a hard choice between Ven and Darkside. Ven is the one I would probably use in the game.

I know it's more a texture contest this time but Ven, your nodes are wrong (0 and 2.92 whereas your part is centered), looks like almost everyone add some glitches to be just below perfection :cool:.

Darkside: amazing work on tex, nice look and quite balanced with all those "lego-ish" bright colors :), "plastic look" isn't so if we think of some standard gaz tank which have similar specular paint job. In fact, it's more semi-gloss finish. Just the nuts are bad here. Chossing rivet or domed head screws would have been better IMHO. You got my vote.

starvision: the sphere would have been better without bump map.

Robotengineer: your tex make it looks like plastidip finish :) (especially near the welding zones)

Ven advice on tex is great, just a little more lighting create great looking object.

Looking at how it goes, chaining contests one after another like a relay seems to be not a so good idea IMHO, as it become an habits and habits are boring and less and less fun with time. Giving a little break could helps.

Robotengineer:

Ok so I took a peak into your texture, While a drastic improvement over your past entries, still need improvement.Unfortunately I couldn't find an .XCF in the download, so I can't comment on your layering process, but here is how I do it:

1. The UV
  2. Ambient Occlusion
  3. dark
  4. light (light Hard for those really sharp highlights)
  5. wear (scratches and scuff marks)
  6. details (markings, decorative lines, warning labels, etc)
  7. Base (all base colors, no more no less.
  8. Patterns (added texture, by using either multiply, or overlay, For dark and light patterns respectively)

Just some random tips:

• If I don't know how a certain line or color will look, put it into a separate layer
  • Play around with the layer settings (multiply, overlay, difference), and pick one that looks the best.
  • Think about giving certain colors slight hues, Ex: blue for metal

Anyways, moving on. Picture: (.Xcf is here)

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w670/vendetta1130/Open25XenonColour_zpsd6945ca6.png

Mostly step by step. Stages proceed from right to left, with the right part being mostly unfinished. (a tad bit overdone for visibility)

Thanks for the tips! Here is the original .xcf

I did it in 4 layers, though I deleted the UV after I got done using it as a guide. I had the AO, colour and wear as the other 3. I sort of added the weathering affects as an after thought. And the normals map turned out terrible, I didn't know what I was doing with that.

Looking at how it goes, chaining contests one after another like a relay seems to be not a so good idea IMHO, as it become an habits and habits are boring and less and less fun with time. Giving a little break could helps.

I guess so. @Ven you might want to wait a month or two before you come up with the next competition. I'm definitely burning out here, especially after such a disappointing turnout. I don't know what to think really. I definitely wont be entering again if all we keep doing is simple parts like before. I'll write a critique for this project later this week, and that'll be it.

I guess so. @Ven you might want to wait a month or two before you come up with the next competition. I'm definitely burning out here, especially after such a disappointing turnout. I don't know what to think really. I definitely wont be entering again if all we keep doing is simple parts like before. I'll write a critique for this project later this week, and that'll be it.

I think the issue is that this contest was originally meant for People who wanted to learn modelling to do so, the only problem is people like myself have neither the time nor resources to devote to such a project. As such it's the same few people that are doing it which leads to stagnation.

Allowing more time is just silly. Everything up until this point could have been done to completion on a Saturday afternoon. People just procrastinate.

Additionally it a 7 days initially. That's more than enough time. The last two projects had 10 days, and that made no difference. No one gives a crap.

I think it got off the path, I thought you was to show how you do what you do in Unity and blender and what ever and how you get it in the game now it's like you all make a part and post it very little is shown how you did it but then again Cpt.Kipard might be right.

P.s all you do a great job thanks.

People just procrastinate.Additionally it a 7 days initially. That's more than enough time. The last two projects had 10 days, and that made no difference. No one gives a crap.

What about those that have 40-hr work weeks? If I were still in school or had spring/summer/winter breaks then I would have joined in on some of these. I usually can't get to my personal time during weekdays until 7 or 8pm.

I think 2 weeks would be a happy medium to allow more time for busier people, but not be too long that it fizzles out.

I've made my own parts before. Since I started I've racked up about two that I'll admit to and one stupid single use idea that will probably never know life beyond my hard drive(so yeah I'm a total green horn). I didn't enter the last one because the challange at the time seemed out of my league and a bit time consuming to unwrap, but I still followed the thread and used kip's texturing guide a bit. If the part from the previous change looked simpler to unwrap the "learn to texture" challange probably would have had a larger non-lurking turnout.

If someone wants to go all out and invest the time to unwrap a complex high poly model chances are they would want it to be a part they made themselves.

Edited by passinglurker

I think it got off the path, I thought you was to show how you do what you do in Unity and blender and what ever and how you get it in the game now it's like you all make a part and post it very little is shown how you did it but then again Cpt.Kipard might be right.
Perhaps the next part ought be simpler, and do the whole part, not just the texture. Maybe a small monopropellant engine?

@passinglurker once you get your first part done, it makes the others easier.

Here's the thing. How many examples of simple parts to people really need? How would you progress from that? Like I said before a week is more than enough to create parts to the standard that they've been made so far. It's also more than enough to create an intermediate/advanced material like the one I did. It's the whole reason I concentrated on one thing this week.

It was an idea to help people up their game a bit. I did it along with everyone. I left instructions. I specified how much time I spent on it each time. Hardly anyone bothered. I don't think there's anything else that needs to be said here.

What about those that have 40-hr work weeks? If I were still in school or had spring/summer/winter breaks then I would have joined in on some of these. I usually can't get to my personal time during weekdays until 7 or 8pm.

I think 2 weeks would be a happy medium to allow more time for busier people, but not be too long that it fizzles out.

I don't understand. Do you not have time over the weekend? Everyone here had two weekends to finish and then some.

I didn't enter the last one because the challange at the time seemed out of my league and a bit time consuming to unwrap, but I still followed the thread and used kip's texturing guide a bit. If the part from the previous change looked simpler to unwrap the "learn to texture" challange probably would have had a larger non-lurking turnout.

If someone wants to go all out and invest the time to unwrap a complex high poly model chances are they would want it to be a part they made themselves.

The model I made for this was specifically designed to be easy to unwrap, unfortunately despite my attempted explanation of this early on not everyone caught on.

Complexity means a lot of variety. It doesn't just mean "lots of stuff". Look at this:

ToK0X4S.png

This shows all the unique meshes in that model. In reality there's even more faces there that could be deleted, but no matter. Each one of those meshes could have it's own UV layout, that gets duplicated when you copy the geometry, then all you have to do is move the duplicate UVs somewhere else.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Ah I stand corrected I'll have to try that trick next time a make something with lots of repeating parts.

EDIT: I do appreciate the instructions you put in the thread even if I didn't participate this time around they came in handy while working on the part I was making at that moment

Edited by passinglurker

I don't understand. Do you not have time over the weekend? Everyone here had two weekends to finish and then some.

I think the issue with the challenge that you hosted was that memorial day weekend fell in the middle of it. I personally had out of town guest staying at my home from Thursday to Sunday, and had to entertain them. If any of the challenges fell on weeks that had some sort of holiday, I feel like those ones would have a much lower turnout since many people go on vacation/get away from their computers then.

But, I did still follow the thread since these Open Part Mod challenges definitely have a wealth of information. Texturing is definitely a bit overwhelming for me as well, so I wanted to just watch this one in any case.

I guess I jumped the gun with saying that 2 weeks should be given. But, how yours was started on a Wednesday, and then ended after 2 weekends passed seems like it could be helpful. My personal concern is that even weekends can be busy at times (weddings/charity events/family bday parties), so having that extra bit of time can mean the difference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.