[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

DANG IT!

A random failures mod for KSP

This mod is now maintained by Coffeeman, who's awesome.

Thanks Louis <3

Install it using CKAN!

CKAN is the awesome package manager for KSP.

Or install manually.

Still not frustrated enough?

Add more Entropy,

Coffeeman's extension that takes the ragequit to 11!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Having problems / questions? There's a

WIKI! With explanations, troubleshooting, and... well nothing much really.

INCOMPATIBLE WITH:

[TABLE=class: outer_border, width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Mod[/TD]

[TD]Effect[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FAR[/TD]

[TD]Control surfaces won't fail.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Procedural Parts[/TD]

[TD]Procedural tanks are not recognized.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

What is this?

It is a mod that will cause the parts on your ship to fail randomly, and you will need to repair them before you can use them again. Be careful... some failures might be relatively harmless, but others might seriously ruin your day. The more you use a part, the less reliable it will become: so don't be too throttle happy with those mainsails!

This mod requires Module Manager to function: it will also target ANY part mod that you have installed. (As long as some conditions are respected)

What's changed in the latest update?

This update has been entirely made by Coffeeman and I take no responsibility for the bugs credit for the new features that have been added.

Alpha 6:

• Compatible with KSP 1.0.2
  • Add FailureModules for steering and tires
  • Rework experience system using the Stock XP system.
  • Configurable in the Module

• Toggalable in settings
  • Fully compatible with MissionController
  • Tweaks to engine reliability calculation

Unfortunatley at this point nothing is refunded for having bought upgrades to Kerbal Experience. Sorry! (You can hack your funds up, it's ok, you have my permission :P )

Report a problem

on the issue tracker

Suggest

in the development thread

See the

source code

(GPL-3.0)

Edited by Ippo
Alpha 6!

Finally! Installing right now.

BTW, some readme and better mod description would be nice.

I was writing it as you posted :) And ofc, it still needs a lot of documentation and explanations and stuff.

Please, PLEASE backup everything!

Edited by Ippo

*_* I like this

EDIT:

A questione and a suggestion, the EOL of lets say gimbal is 69h. it's 69h of using the gimbal or 69h even if is not being used? Answered with post update

For the suggestion, would be nice to have some sort of periodic EVA maintenance before waiting for the part to broke, very usefull to be sure that everything is in order before an important burn

Edited by brusura

For the suggestion, would be nice to have some sort of periodic EVA maintenance before waiting for the part to broke, very usefull to be sure that everything is in order before an important burn

Already thought of that, will definitely come one day :)

Along with some mechanism to extend the life of a part, so that permanent stations become possible.

Sorry for the slow update, it should look at least decent now :)

Great idea! I really like the general idea (especially if this check-before-burn-maintenance comes in)

One question is not yet covered in your OP:

How is "failure" defined for the various parts? Engines just get disabled? Fueltanks just get locked so fuel is not retrievable?

There's great potential for variation there: Engines backfiring (erratic throttling), throttle getting "stuck" (allowing you only to shutdown/activate the engine). Fuel tanks& batteries could start leaking (would be great with FX ;) ). Some would be troublesome to implement I guess, but definitely look good on the wishlist.

One question is not yet covered in your OP:

How is "failure" defined for the various parts? Engines just get disabled? Fueltanks just get locked so fuel is not retrievable?

Added in the first post.

You make the module which I have long dreamed of doing :)

What about unmanned ships?

See Kepler: better use long-life parts and when there's a failure it works not so good anymore... and then it becomes trash :wink:

EDIT: Is there a notification when something failes? I suppose it would be quite annoying to constantly click all parts to check der status, no?

Edited by marce

You make the module which I have long dreamed of doing :)

What about unmanned ships?

Well, they are on their own, so yeah... either you send a repair mission, or you will have to go on with what you have.

Is there a notification when something failes? I suppose it would be quite annoying to constantly click all parts to check der status, no?

Two, actually: you get a message on the screen, and all the failed parts glow red as long as they are disabled.

Two, actually: you get a message on the screen, and all the failed parts glow red as long as they are disabled.

Cool! Is there a reason you call it an Alpha? Beside of the control surfaces it looks quite finished.

One request: could you add the failures to ProzeduralParts (they don't pick up the tank reliability based on resources) and generators (RTG) too?

EDIT: oh and for parachutes too (I currently imagine a long planned mission ending with an explosion because the chute malfunctioned :mad::rolleyes::))

Edited by marce

Cool! Is there a reason you call it an Alpha? Beside of the control surfaces it looks quite finished.

Because I can't be sure yet that it is actually fnished, there may be a lot of bugs lurking around. Plus, it still lacks some key features.

One request: could you add the failures to ProzeduralParts (they don't pick up the tank reliability based on resources) and generators (RTG) too?

RTGs are planned; other mods... one day. Before tackling mod compatibility, I want to have mine finished ;)

EDIT: oh and for parachutes too (I currently imagine a long planned mission ending with an explosion because the chute malfunctioned :mad::rolleyes::))

This is the exact reason why they were left out in the first place :P We discussed in the dev thread, and agreed that failures should be recoverable, otherwise it is only annoying. I might make an "expansion" with deadly failures one day, but I'm not sure yet.

Maybe something like: "HAL: I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours. "

Maybe something like: "HAL: I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours. "

Right now it's more like: "I've picked up a fault in the AE35 unit: it happened just 2 seconds ago when Jeb decided that ovethrottling was totally safe".

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this one bit: with this mod installed, engines don't like when you are throttle-happy... It might be safer to be a little more careful during your burns ;)

Technically: for engines, the istantaneous chance of failure is multiplied by (x + 0.5*x^5), where x is the current throttle from 0 to 1. This means that running an engine at 100% you are 50% more likely to break it than normal. The "neutral" throttle is ~82%: less than that, you decrease the failure chance almost linearly; more than that, you increase it exponentially.

Edited by Ippo

Technically: for engines, the istantaneous chance of failure is multiplied by (x + 0.5*x^5), where x is the current throttle from 0 to 1. This means that running an engine at 100% you are 50% more likely to break it than normal. The "neutral" throttle is ~82%: less than that, you decrease the failure chance almost linearly; more than that, you increase it exponentially.

What's the logic behind this? Given that 100% in the game equals an engine's max rated thrust, and you would think engines are made to run at max rated thrust, why would chance of failure increase so much? At least, this doesn't seem to be something that should be in effect for a brand-new engine. After a certain amount of combined time spent at 100%, in which the part Lifetime has dropped, something like this would be expected.

What's the logic behind this?
For one, you are simply dealing with forces that are more powerful, more violent, and more difficult to contain. For another, regardless of ratings and tests, every thing has a breaking point that cannot be exactly determined (at least in real life) and in most cases the closer you get to that point the more likely a small flaw or undetected imperfection will flair up into a (catastrophic?) failure.

Ippo, just curious: I don't know what your plans are but would you be interested if I made some parts for those spare part boxes you mentioned? I've been doing some part modeling but I don't have any desire at this point to try to make my own parts pack or anything.

I have two issues to report:

1. Engines with ModuleEnginesFX instead of ModuleEngines are not currently supported. If I add ModuleEngineReliability to these parts, will it work as intended? Or will they need a separate (yet to be created) ModuleEngineFXReliability?

2. When I installed this mod, the dial at the top center of the screen (indicating vertical velocity) ceased to function, simply pointing to zero regardless of my velocity. Removing the mod fixed the problem.

Can we see some pictures? Like what the UI looks like, and the new 'Spare Parts' module? I really like the idea of this!

Well, there isn't much to see actually: there is no UI except the failed parts glowing red, and no spare parts container atm, it is only a resource added to command pods. I will make a couple screenshots later though :)

Ok im having an issue, I don`t understand how to grab the Repair Parts, I EVA and then what? I read the First Post with the instructions but I`m still not been able to grab them :(

You have to be close to a command pod or probe and right click: you should see a "Take parts" event in the menu. As above, screenshots later.

Ippo, just curious: I don't know what your plans are but would you be interested if I made some parts for those spare part boxes you mentioned? I've been doing some part modeling but I don't have any desire at this point to try to make my own parts pack or anything.

That would be absolutely awesome, I've never tried modeling before and it would be wonderful! Go ahead! :)

I have two issues to report:

1. Engines with ModuleEnginesFX instead of ModuleEngines are not currently supported. If I add ModuleEngineReliability to these parts, will it work as intended? Or will they need a separate (yet to be created) ModuleEngineFXReliability?

2. When I installed this mod, the dial at the top center of the screen (indicating vertical velocity) ceased to function, simply pointing to zero regardless of my velocity. Removing the mod fixed the problem.

Finally, some bug reports! I will look into that ASAP. For the first issue though: I'm not sure what the ModuleEnginesFX does exactly. My guess is that right now it will not work, unless ModuleEnginesFX is a subclass of ModuleEngines.

Finally, some bug reports! I will look into that ASAP. For the first issue though: I'm not sure what the ModuleEnginesFX does exactly. My guess is that right now it will not work, unless ModuleEnginesFX is a subclass of ModuleEngines.

ModuleEnginesFX does exactly the same thing as ModuleEngines, except that it allows for fancier graphical effects. All engines added since 0.23 (i.e., RAPIER, both 3.75m engines, the new SRBs, and the Launch Escape System) use ModuleEnginesFX instead of ModuleEngines. Many mods use ModuleEnginesFX as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.