[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

When I press "puncure tank" on the GUI, the resource consumption is reduced, not augmented.

As the resource consumption in stock KSP can go below 0(apart from electricity), the resource inside the ruptured tank can only lose fuel if some fuel is already being depleted from that fuel(by the use of engine or something like that).

When I press "puncure tank" on the GUI, the resource consumption is reduced, not augmented.

As the resource consumption in stock KSP can go below 0(apart from electricity), the resource inside the ruptured tank can only lose fuel if some fuel is already being depleted from that fuel(by the use of engine or something like that).

(I tried to be more concise and clear, I hope it help :))

How can I send you the log?

It's quite long so I doubt it can be posted on this forum.

When I press "puncure tank" on the GUI

Wait, WHAT!? That's supposed to be hidden in the release build. :confused:

, the resource consumption is reduced, not augmented.

How can I send you the log?

It's quite long so I doubt it can be posted on this forum.

Well, in theory, you shouldn't even be able to consume any resource, because I lock the tank. Well... I believed that I locked it, I guess you proved otherwise.

I'll see what the deal is with the tanks... and with the release build defining the DEBUG symbol -.-

Can the others please check if they do see the failure events? Like "puncture tank", "fail battery", and the like. If you do, something's wrong, not in my code, but visual studio itself. :mad:

As for the log, please send it to [email protected]

Well, in theory, you shouldn't even be able to consume any resource, because I lock the tank. Well... I believed that I locked it, I guess you proved otherwise.

[...]

I guess that's why I couldn't use the RCS when a tank was ruptured.(however, the fuel wasn't depleting, it was only locked).

I will send you the log soon.

EDIT: I have just sent you the log!

Edited by goldenpeach
removed an edit that didn't belong in this thread.

Wait, WHAT!? That's supposed to be hidden in the release build. :confused:

I'll see what the deal is with the tanks... and with the release build defining the DEBUG symbol -.-

Can the others please check if they do see the failure events? Like "puncture tank", "fail battery", and the like. If you do, something's wrong, not in my code, but visual studio itself. :mad:

As for the log, please send it to [email protected]

Im using the last dll you sent me yesterday, that one doesnt have them.

Ok, I caught the tanks bug.

Just a warning: in the upcoming days I'll be very busy, both IRL and rewriting a good chunk of the code to include new stuff I learnt plus a couple of the features you guys have been asking, so I won't be around much. Still, let me know if there are any problems, and send me the output logs to my email :)

After downloading this mod all my spaceplanes disintegrate (not quite a random failure as you intended :P) after lift-off. I don't see any connection, but removing it seems to solve it, which is a shame because I really liked the idea. With disintegrating I mean that all parts lose connection to each other and get shot away towards the horizon with mach effects...

So if you could tell me what to send you and where to find it, that'd be great! :)

Note:

The planes used the following mods:

- B9

- RasterPropMonitor + enhancement patch

- FAR (Aerodynamic failures turned off, as I first thought this was the case)

- ActiveTexture Management

- DeadlyReentry (values a bit lowered)

- TAC lifesupport

- Interstellar mod

After downloading this mod all my spaceplanes disintegrate

Well, isn't this lovely. Your output log is located in <KSP Folder>/KSP_Data/outputlog.txt

I'll see if it's something on my end, although I have to admit I simply have NO IDEA what could do that :confused:

This is a great mod! but so far all my "dang its" have been self imposed! :)

That's rather normal, if you look in the cfg files, the MTBF is usually very high (maybe even too high, but balancing will come later).

Question / possible suggestion:

Is there a way (hot key or menu via toolbar) to on-demand generate a failure, as a test to make sure I've installed the mod correctly / simulate repairs / cause a failure on purpose for roleplay or video recording purposes ??

Question / possible suggestion:

Is there a way (hot key or menu via toolbar) to on-demand generate a failure, as a test to make sure I've installed the mod correctly / simulate repairs / cause a failure on purpose for roleplay or video recording purposes ??

Not with the build you have (then again, I thought so of the one before this one). I was thinking about leaving them enabled in the next one, so you can give me more feedback about bugs.

Hey Ippo, I wanted to show you what I've come up with so far for those spare parts boxes. Slow going so far, because of real life and everything. Models and textures are far from done but you can get an idea of what I am going for and I am very open to suggestions. Can't seem to figure out how to get textures into Sketchfab so screen shots will have to do for the textures.

oYrhMic.png?1

4gzMnNh.png?1

Edited by The Yellow Dart

Also, in coming up with those parts I came up with a suggestion for what I thought would be a pretty sweet addition. There could be a part that allows the player to create a tiny "repair drone" that would allow an unmanned craft to be "self-servicing". This way you aren't undergoing such high risk of failure in sending a probe on a long trip to a distant place like Jool or Eeloo. As I see it, it would probably the size of the stock atmospheric instrument nose cone thing (single, bottom attachment point as well) but with some cameras and lights, and little robotic manipulators as well as maybe a welder or something. You could slap it on top of the thin octo probe core, along with a tiny monoprop tank and RCS thrusters and a mini docking port. It would deploy from it's mother ship, retrieve some parts from a part box, then go to repair the malfunction and return to it's port. For those malfunctions that get worse over time this would be cool because it would be more difficult to control and if it could only carry one part at a time you are racing back and forth trying to lock down the problem. This seems like it would be a very cool addition, since it adds more that the player has to think about and do before launching a mission, as well as more to do durning a mission. I made "mockup" of how it might work, with the atmosphere sensor as the "Repair Drone Unit". The little antenna actually kind of looks like it might be a stick welder repairing the solar panel.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

When you do interstellar compatibility (if you do it) warp drives should age when they are active, and if they get broken you are either instantly forced out of warp, or stuck in warp.

AWESOME! I really like the textures on the first one! Thank you for working on this :)

About the repair drone: that's definitely a cool idea. I'll think about it and see if it's implementable, basically the only problem I see with it is finding a way to give it access to the repair event even though it's not an EVA (well, actually the real problem is to make sure that only drones are allowed to see it, and no other vessel). I'll think about it :)

P.S: and don't worry too much about timing, because development is slower on my end any way.

Edited by Ippo

Here's a partial list of goods that should not 'leak'. Their inclusion would be nice XD.

From EP Launchpads: Ore, Metal, RocketParts (Perhaps a random failure of one of these should just be random loss of a few parts due to misplacement?)

From DeadlyReEntry: AblativeShielding (A surprise loss of some shielding, like the resources in EP Launchpads, would make sense, but not a leak.)

From TAC Lifesupport: Food (Loosing water and/or O2 makes sense, but food would be hard to loose without having a big hole.)

From StationScience: Kibbal (see food), Kuarqs, Bioproducts, Eurekas (these might be leakable due to 'hardware or software failure?)

From RealFuels: All solid fuel types, solid nuclear materials

From EngineIgnitions: EngineIgnitors

This mod looks very promising, I'm fairly sure it'd destroy me if I ran with it due to losing lots of unusual resources (see above) but I'm excited to give it a try anyway. Here's hoping it works out!

Here's a partial list of goods that should not 'leak'. Their inclusion would be nice XD.

From EP Launchpads: Ore, Metal, RocketParts (Perhaps a random failure of one of these should just be random loss of a few parts due to misplacement?)

From DeadlyReEntry: AblativeShielding (A surprise loss of some shielding, like the resources in EP Launchpads, would make sense, but not a leak.)

From TAC Lifesupport: Food (Loosing water and/or O2 makes sense, but food would be hard to loose without having a big hole.)

From StationScience: Kibbal (see food), Kuarqs, Bioproducts, Eurekas (these might be leakable due to 'hardware or software failure?)

From RealFuels: All solid fuel types, solid nuclear materials

From EngineIgnitions: EngineIgnitors

This mod looks very promising, I'm fairly sure it'd destroy me if I ran with it due to losing lots of unusual resources (see above) but I'm excited to give it a try anyway. Here's hoping it works out!

Thank you, this list will surely come in handy, especially since I don't use most of those mods myself :)

Hey, I thought I'd add to your list of things that shouldn't ideally leak. I don't particularly fancy using this mod (I'll explain at the end) but hey, though I'd help anyway - leakages of 'waste' things. While having a leak in your biological waste tank could be believable, it also helps the player in emptying that resource for you - why fix the leak if it just means you'll have to deal with emptying it later? This includes

- Waste from TAC, IonCross etc

- KSP Interstellar - WasteHeat, DepletedFuel

- KSP Interstellar - the following don't make a lot of sense to be able to leak: Atmosphere, OxygenatedAtmosphere, VacuumPlasma, ThermalPower, Megajoules and IntakeAtm

- Near Future's DepletedUranium

That's all I can think of. Now why I wouldn't be using this mod: because of the unpredictability. I don't want to be preparing for a suicide burn or biome hopping or whatever and have the throttle stuck open or closed. So if it's possible, how about a 'vessel scan' thing - basically, it gives a readout of the things most likely to break in the next few hours/days whatever (like, things that have over a 70% of breaking) so preventative action can be taken. I mean, if you don't look after a car, it'll break down - you can fix problems when they arise, but the best thing is to service it every year.

So if something has an 80% chance of breaking soon, I can go out and lubricate it if it should be moving, or tape it down if it shouldn't. Same actions, but they won't catch you out if you're preparing to do something important.

I don't think this would ruin the mod because A, things under a certain % failure aren't listed so they still might fail and B, you might only have enough spare parts/time to fix a certain amount of things.

That's my thoughts, at least.

Hey, I thought I'd add to your list of things that shouldn't ideally leak. [...]

Thanks, I hadn't thought of wastes. Very good point :)

That's all I can think of. Now why I wouldn't be using this mod: because of the unpredictability. [...]

Well, the pillar of this community is "Don't tell anyone how to enjoy the game", so play the way you like it, no need to justify :)

On the other hand, maybe I could interest you in the pre-emptive maintenance feature that is on future features list :) The mod is still in its very early stages (it's barely even *functioning* at all right now) and there's a lot more to come.

The main problem with pre-emptive maintenance is to find a way to make it useful but not OP. If you like, I'd like to discuss it in depth in the dev thread :)

The main problem with pre-emptive maintenance is to find a way to make it useful but not OP. If you like, I'd like to discuss it in depth in the dev thread :)

Done. Excellent work, by the way. If I was to install a random failures mod, it'd be this one. It's very well thought out and sleekly designed.

EDIT: Oh and add Insight (from L-Tech) to the non leaky list. Kerbals gradually losing intelligence doesn't seem right :P The model rockets and clipboards from L-Tech are fair game though.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I like the adding of a need to go EVA to fix things, so am keeping an eye on this mod, but am waiting until the preventive maintenance is in.

However I've got a reason to make waste products leak, the way you get rid of them is by recycling them back into good resources, so losing them loses the resources you want as well. Yes, a leak in your CO2 doesn't matter too much when you're taking a quick trip to the Mun. However, it's going to make those guys heading off to Jool scramble to fix it since that's what they're going to need to breathe soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.