[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

Alpha 4.3 is out!

This is mostly an OSX compatibility update.

• Fixes a file handling exception on OSX.
  • Removes the unity compatibility warning .
  • Adds CKAN support.
  • Improves the SpareParts cfg using SandWorm's edits.

Now every part with crew capacity up to 8 can contain spare parts, plus the mk1 structural fuselage (because SandWorm said so). I incorporated his changes, meaning that now by default the amount of spares is greatly reduced, but I left by default about 20%.

I hope this fixes the OSX problems!

Edited by Ippo

Hey,

awesome mod. Something I really like alot! :-)

However: I have a Mun base in operation right now and a couple of things are broken. Trouble is: I can't fix them, because they are unreachable from the ground and taking spares (Minimum 15 pieces) makes Kerbals too heavy for their jet packs. Are there any plans to make them lighter or at least give the option to take them in smaller numbers?

Hey,

However: I have a Mun base in operation right now and a couple of things are broken. Trouble is: I can't fix them, because they are unreachable from the ground and taking spares (Minimum 15 pieces) makes Kerbals too heavy for their jet packs. Are there any plans to make them lighter or at least give the option to take them in smaller numbers?

Make them lighter - no: I don't define the SpareParts, Community Resource Pack does.

In the previous versions you took 1 at a time, but it was annoying - so I removed it and now it's a new problem :) I'll reimplement the limit, maybe this time configurable: sounds good? :)

Hey,

Do you have KAS installed? You could possibly slap on some ladders to reach the broken parts? Or build a service vehicle with a platform and spare parts storage so your kerbal can drive out and stand on the platform to perform maintenance.

Not sure if this has been fixed already (I'm still playing 0.24) but I'm unable to duct tape the big 3.75 meter fuel tanks. No matter how close I get, there's no option to fix it.

Also, I have a question: does the age take into account that a vessel might dock somewhere and later leave again, with the MET display stating it's just launched?

Edited by Mitchz95

Not sure if this has been fixed already (I'm still playing 0.24) but I'm unable to duct tape the big 3.75 meter fuel tanks. No matter how close I get, there's no option to fix it.

What version of the mod are you using? The last version for 0.24 is 0.3.3.1, which already includes the fix. You can also fix it by simply increasing the repair distance to 2 m or more in the settings.

Also, I have a question: does the age take into account that a vessel might dock somewhere and later leave again, with the MET display stating it's just launched?

The MET is not used to compute the age, so no problem there.

Do you have KAS installed? You could possibly slap on some ladders to reach the broken parts? Or build a service vehicle with a platform and spare parts storage so your kerbal can drive out and stand on the platform to perform maintenance.

Probably the cleanest solution is to increase the repair distance to something ridiculous like 20m, repair your stuff, and then bring it down again.

I'll work on it soon, but I'm kinda busy lately.

Man, I just added some suggestions to your other thread and I come here and see you're busy

I'll see if I can maybe help you out and add the changes myself (if you even want them, I'll do them for my own enjoyment anyway) but if it takes more than editing something with notepad then I probably won't be able to do it

Edited by Tripod27

Think I just ran into a bug

The spare parts seem to be messing with the price of the actual part. So if I take the mk 1-2 command pod, which costs 1300 funds, and can fit 150 spare parts but only comes with 20, it actually takes the price of the other 130 spare parts out of the price of the ship, so with 20 spare parts it costs -7000 funds, with the full 150 spare parts it costs 1300 funds like the listed price, and with 0 spare parts it costs -8200 funds

This happens for everything that can fit spare parts

The spare parts seem to be messing with the price of the actual part. So if I take the mk 1-2 command pod, which costs 1300 funds, and can fit 150 spare parts but only comes with 20, it actually takes the price of the other 130 spare parts out of the price of the ship, so with 20 spare parts it costs -7000 funds, with the full 150 spare parts it costs 1300 funds like the listed price, and with 0 spare parts it costs -8200 funds

YAY, it's happening again! :'(

Ion engines having the same 1 hour lifetime as the other chemical/nuclear engines seems a bit low, considering one ion engine takes 24 minutes to burn through a single PB-X150 xenon container and is used for probes.

You are probably right, thanks for the feedback :)

What version of the mod are you using? The last version for 0.24 is 0.3.3.1, which already includes the fix. You can also fix it by simply increasing the repair distance to 2 m or more in the settings.

It's already set to 20 in the Dangit.cfg, if that's what you mean. I tried changing it to 30 but it didn't work.

Ya, my bad on that one. I should have included the full-tank price, not the lower default.

It's because KSP doesn't take default resource loads when pricing parts. It takes the sticker price, ignoring any included resources, then deducts for any less-than-full tanks. Simply adding a resource to a part will not increase it's price, but including a less-than-full tank will cause the price to drop. So you need to price the part as if the tanks were full and let KSP make the deduction for the less-than-full tanks. My mistake was in bumping up the sticker price by the number of spareparts included by default, rather than the full-tank price.

I'll get a new cfg out asap.

Try this in place of the spareparts.cfg:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjbw1ime0j7j7qg/SpareParts_Sandworm_v2.cfg

Also ... this strangeness means that the displayed sticker price always assumes that all the tanks are full, which, in the case of Dangit, means that parts look much more expensive than they actually are. But this doesn't impact launch costs, only displayed prices.

MkI pod stock sticker price: 600

Displayed stickerprice with Dangit (using cfg above): 3750

Actual launch price: 1230 (Includes 10 units of spareparts)

Max price: 3750 (With 40 units of spareparts added by hand in VAB)

Min price: 600 (With 10 unit of spareparts removed by hand in VAB)

Edited by Sandworm

The way you describe it makes me wonder if the stock rebalance mod could be messing with it, since I do have that running

I`ll try out the fix though

edit: tried it, didn`t work. Probably the stock rebalance mod messing with it

Edited by Tripod27

Hooray Ippo, thanks for listening. An option for taking spare parts sounds brilliant.

Or build a service vehicle with a platform and spare parts storage so your kerbal can drive out and stand on the platform to perform maintenance.

This is a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of this? I think I shall have a look at Infernal Robotics! :)

Hiya Ippo:

DangIt is awesome.

But I have a problem:

I am unobservant. When a part failure occurs while I am occupied thinking about something else (an upcoming burn, for instance) then the drop out of warp and the message in the mailbox are not enough to get my attention. I frequently will continue blindly along after a leak, only noticing that there's been a problem when I discover that there's no oxidizer left.

Would it be possible to add some configurable levels of alert when a part fails? Perhaps the option to have a dialog come up, or the sound of kerbals screaming, or...?

Many thanks!

Does the FAR incompatibility mean it will only affect control surfaces, or that that effect means that it will otherwise break either? I won't play without FAR, but I also don't build spaceplanes because I'm not keen on magic, so I won't see control surfaces anyway. :)

Would it be possible to add some configurable levels of alert when a part fails? Perhaps the option to have a dialog come up, or the sound of kerbals screaming, or...?

Sound notifications are planned, ETA: whenever. :)

Does the FAR incompatibility mean it will only affect control surfaces, or that that effect means that it will otherwise break either? I won't play without FAR, but I also don't build spaceplanes because I'm not keen on magic, so I won't see control surfaces anyway. :)

Nah, there's no problem with FAR, other than the fact that control surfaces don't fail anymore.

The reason is that FAR replaces the stock ModuleControlSurface with its own implementation: I have some code that can apparently work with FAR too, and some of you may recall that it was included at some point in Alpha 3, but it was buggy and inconsistent so it's been postponed.

I think there's a problem: I put everything that was in the gamedata folder(the one from your folder of Dangit) in my gamedata folder; but nothing is changed in my game.

Am I doing something wrong?

Not providing a log :)

But yes, in theory you just need to merge GameData. You'll need CommunityResourcePack, CrewFiles, and module manager, but they are all included.

Edited by Ippo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.