[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

Hey, any news on the FAR glowey-thingy bug?

It is a FAR issue that I have no control over. I have submitted a patch to ferram4, who has accepted it: therefore it should be fixed with the next release of FAR.

Also, Do the Near Future Prop parts have extended lives, like the stock ion engine? Do all the cool electric engines (VASIMR, Magnetoplasmadynamic, pulsed inductive) have extended life(s)?

I'd have to check. In general, all (and only) the ion engines have been buffed, so the ion engines from Near Future will be buffed, but if there are other engines that don't use Xenon, they are untouched.

I'd have to check. In general, all (and only) the ion engines have been buffed, so the ion engines from Near Future will be buffed, but if there are other engines that don't use Xenon, they are untouched.

Then how would one go about changing their life spans?

Or could you add support in Alpha 5?

Then how would one go about changing their life spans?

Or could you add support in Alpha 5?

You can write a MM patch to edit the values to whatever you like:

@PART[ the part you want ]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesReliability]
{
@MTBF = something
@LifeTime = something
}
}

I'm not going to provide customized config files for a while, at least until we move to beta (sometimes I have the feeling that people are ignoring the "alpha" in the title :P), so no, I won't support this in Alpha 5, sorry.

In the long run, I plan to write custom config files (right now each engine is *literally* the same, reliability-wise...), but first there's still a lot of coding that needs to be done, sorry :(

Just an idea: additional research option (spend science and cash) to improve the reliability of part. Each failure improves the part reliability next time it used for construction, as the failure is analysed and bugs are ironed out stuff is more reliable. Also repairing the fail in flight also gives bonus to reliability. The research could increase the celling of the reliability, ie. part has say 50% reliability at start and celling is 60% without any research, after few testing and failures the part reaches 60% reliability with cannot be raised without researching the reliability for it with increases the reliability celling as well gives small reliability improvement (but celling increase is always higher then the bonus).

Just some random ramblings.

Could you please add an option for a more gradual decaying of function. For example, instead of loosing all trust, gradualy reduce the trust of an engine. Instead of making a control surfice jam completely, make it function partially. This is not only player friendly, but also more realistic.

For example, durring a retrograte burn, one of the engines start to lose maximum trust. To keep the ship in balance you can respond by lowering the overal trust and still be able to control the ship. If you didn't repond, the problem would get worse and it would eventualy fail completely like it does now.

It would help if kerbals were smart enough to do these countermeasures themselves but having the option to react to failure manually would help a lot and make the mod more intrestring. Right now, I don't want to play it because it's too much like a russian roulete, it's all or nothing.

Edited by FreeThinker

Could you please add an option for a more gradual decaying of function. For example, instead of loosing all trust, gradualy reduce the trust of an engine. Instead of making a control surfice jam completely, make it function partially.

Hi, unfortunately it's not as easy as adding an option, I'd need to change a lot of stuff around. I want to have multiple failure modes in the future, but it's not a trivial task.

This is not only player friendly, but also more realistic.

Well, the whole concept of this mod is to be the opposite of player-friendly :P

Also, if we want to go for realism an engine failure should actually just mean an explosion most of the times.

Will there be failures for unmanned crafts? Like they can stop responding for a short amount of time, or they can stop Responding completely (Rare)

I am currently in the process of writing the wiki, so I answered you in the FAQ (which is still a little barren right now, but bear with me :) )

CKAN IS NOW RELEASED!

From now on CKAN is the preferred method of installation,

although manual installation is still possible.

Good news, everyone! We now have a stable release of CKAN!

For those that didn't hear about it, CKAN is a truly awesome package manager for KSP. There have been many mod managers in the past, but none of them was particularly successful because they were not practical for the modders; CKAN changes that, with an architecture that is extremely similar to the one of famous linux package managers like apt-get or pacman.

CKAN can install this mod in a few seconds, with no possibility for mistakes or bad installs. Still not sold on CKAN? Well, just know that it can install the full RSS + RO suite in *one* command: if you've ever tried setting it up, you know how powerful this is. :)

More good news everyone - we have the beginnings of Dangit's official repair bay! I've been chugging away on it in my spare time with Ippo and i think its at a stage i can show to you guys. Still got a bit of work to do on it, so consider it a teaser for now ;)

1GXn5TY.png

6YvLxf0.png

It will be KAS equipped (optional), and fits snugly on the back of an EVA'd Kerbal at a scale similar to the small KAS storage box. The bay shown will be optimized for low-end systems (low poly and small textures), so it won't cause any real problems with performance.

Further down the track, we'll release a bay that has animated doors, a full array of Kerbal-esque tools inside, larger textures, and potential integration with the upcoming Kerbal Inventory System being developed by KAS's talented developer KospY. With this, we're planning to spawn the applicable tools in the Kerbal's hands as he grabs spare parts, suited for the repair work needed. Spotlight blown out? Bob will carry a 40watt bulb and a screwdriver to the stricken part, or a can of lubricant if an engine gimbal has seized up. All sorts of things :)

Edited by Daishi

I've been thinking about adding some more... critical failures to DangIt!, what would people think?

Heres what I've got so far...

--Engines ISP/Thrust drop off very quickly

--Solar panels efficiency drops off

--Lander legs get stuck

--RCS thrusters keep thrusting

--Decouplers get stuck and have to be repaired/fired manually

--Docking ports magnetic force fails

--Small parts (e.g. life support tanks, RCS ports) catastrophically fail (with EXPLOSIONS)

--Parts like docking ports lose crossfeed

--Fuel lines break, leaking fuel until fixed

And for TAC integration...

--Scrubbers/recyclers failing/losing efficiency

Hopefully I can make it standalone (but depend on DangIt!) using your GREAT ModuleReliability API

What do you guys think? What would you like? I will probably get down to it this weekend, so I need suggestions.

EDIT: YIKES! Just noticed "Deadly failures, like exploding parts (as an optional download);" in the future features list. Not trying to step on any toes here. I would love to help out (happily in parallel) though, awaiting your go/no-go Ippo. :)

EDIT2: I have gotten confirmation from Ippo that this is chill, and am proceeding. I will probably post it in it's own thread this weekend! :D

Edited by Coffeeman
Missed an r; Noticed this EXACT feature on the future features list :/ ; Got confirmation

Thanks very much for this mod; it's having a big effect on how I play, which I put down to Perks. Broke out in a cold sweat when an oxygen tank started leaking. Fortunately, I carry far too much life support.

Probably the biggest - and unexpected - impact is that it suddenly matters which Kerbal goes on a mission. I'm actually thinking "Bob needs to go on the Kerbal System Explorer because he's the only kerbal who can fix an engine. Jonbin stays on the station because he can fix leaks..."

I thought of a great addition to your mod. How about if your doing a contract and have a failure. Not just any but one that could be deadly such as loss of power in pod and u fix the repair and complete the mission you get a small rep bonus. Sorta like an appollo 13 thing. No one was interested until the failure then nasa rep went through roof after bringong them home safe. Here a link to true story that gavve me idea.

https://plus.google.com/110654811638798261863/posts/22YMonbPao1

850 part Rocket

zeks

wat u doin

zkes

stahp!

I thought of a great addition to your mod. How about if your doing a contract and have a failure. Not just any but one that could be deadly such as loss of power in pod and u fix the repair and complete the mission you get a small rep bonus. Sorta like an appollo 13 thing. No one was interested until the failure then nasa rep went through roof after bringong them home safe. Here a link to true story that gavve me idea.

https://plus.google.com/110654811638798261863/posts/22YMonbPao1

You know, this is actually a good idea :) I'm not sure if you can modify a contract's parameters in-flight, but I might look into it :)

Something that would be nice is if the parts got more reliable as you fixed/returned them, with a major bonus for returns. The idea is that the returned parts are gone over by the manufacturer and used to refine later parts, preventing the same failure modes.

Another idea would be getting science from returning failed parts, again for the same reason. It's very informative seeing how your thing went wrong, and it would be nice to see that in-game.

This mechanic incentivises returning long-endurance parts, like failed comsats, so I think it's reasonably interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Well, guys, I've been delaying this too long: this mod is now abandoned and up for adoption.

I have just too much stuff to take care of to develop this mod properly: so, considering that it seems to have gained a quite significant amount of interest, I think it's better for everyone if I just pass it along to someone else instead of freezing it forever.

I think it's also about time I confess that I don't use it, at all: my mod proved me that people were right when they said random failures are just annoying, in fact I'm too annoyed by my own mod and haven't been using it since July or so. I think you all understand that this does not contribute much to my will to develop it further... :)

So, now for the legal stuff:

• the code is licensed under GPLv3 and I'm notchanging the license;
  • if you make a fork, please change the name: while this is sort of required by the license, I'd also be happier if you avoided a name like "Dang It Continued" or stuff like that because I've alwasy thought that it sounds stupid;
  • If you are interested in continuing the project, I'll let you use the original name provided we agree on some features. If you want to use the original name, PM me and we'll have a chat. Otherwise, feel free to fork under a new name and add anything you like to it.

Overall it's been a real blast making this mod, it taught me a lot and really made me feel part of a community (which I'll remain, I hope, just not with this particular project) :)

It's has been a fun thing tonreport those bug with you ;P

Good times :)

Thanks everyone for your support, sorry about it. Anyway if someone wants to pick it up I'm 100% available to help them keep it going. If nobody does, I will try to keep it at least compatible with new KSP releases, at least that :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.