[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

You know, this is actually a pretty cool idea :) Not sure how easy it is to implement though, but let's see if you can convince Coffeeman :P

Seem to be having issues with picking up spare parts....

Hi, yes, there's an incompatibility with MC2, or to be precise, it appears to be with the Eva Resource Transfer mod by marce (that, if I understand correctly, is bundled with MC2). No solution yet, sorry :/

I don't think Kerbal's stupidity actually affects the mod. Maybe one day it could.

Actually it already does: intelligent kerbals use less resources while repairing (on average) and are also more likely to have some training when you hire them, and the opposite is true for stupid kerbals. Nothing else at the moment.

A quick question... is there an option, preferably in difficulty, that states for the MAJOR malfunctions they need an Engineer-Class Kerbal?

The stock experience system is not supported yet.

I think what would make this mod is an in-game slider for random failure frequency, if you want to recreate Apollo 13 in Kerbal form.

Well, we don't have an in-game slider yet, but you can edit the configs to tune the frequency to your taste. Also, you can enable manual failures if you want to trigger them at a specific moment :)

Hi, I've seen you've already found the issue but I still want to thank you. I had never seen a youtube bug report... but I can only hope to see more! 8/8 amazing user :)

The spare parts aren't transferable, is it just me or the mod just doesn't support transferring the parts? It would be nice if it's transferable.

That's by design. However you can change it by editing the flow mode of the resource (it's defined in the community resource pack config).

I love this mod. My single lv909 lander had engine failure, 1000m from landing on the Mun today in career mode. Going to have to start adding backups. :D

I advise you to also use an apollo style lander with an action group for an emergency ditching of the lander stage to use the ascent stage as a lifeboat (spoiler: it wont' do you any good if the ascent stage fails too).

Is there a boost for engineers? If not there should be, it would give engineers something to do. I love how this mod forces me to make emergency landings then sware at the game. Adds a whole new feel to the game.

10/10 will crash again.

Edited by Eskandare

Okay, so I've figured out what the problem with DangIt! and MC2 is, though I haven't the foggiest idea on how to fix it, since I've never muddled with KSP modding before, myself. I just use them!

Anyway, so KERT doesn't seem to be the problem at all - I can have DangIt! and KERT both installed without MC2 and it works just fine, and I can have DangIt! and MC2 installed, and remove KERT, and... well, neither work. It seems that the problem is that with just DangIt!, an EVA suit can hold 15 spares. MC2, on the other hand, overwrites that and makes it so that an EVA suit can only hold 1 spare.

The problem that I run into after that is that 1 spare isn't really 1 spare. I used KERT to pull the 1.0 SpareParts out, and it still doesn't work. Getting back into the pod shows that I was carrying 0.999999977648258 units of SpareParts, not 1, thanks to the buggy nature of floating point arithmetic. So, when I'm clicking 'Take Spares', there's not actually room for 1 unit of SpareParts (We're short by 0.000000022351742 units), so the retrieval fails. Even after using KERT to transfer in the SpareParts, I can't perform the repair (because again, we're just short of 1 unit of SpareParts). This isn't a problem when the EVA suit can hold 15.0 units, because if it comes to 14.999... or 15.0000...1 or something, it's more than the required 1.0.

So! That said, I haven't figured out a bandaid solution, even, because I can't figure out where MC2 is defining how much SpareParts an EVA can hold (though there's a file that looks like it, it doesn't seem to do anything), but I am very much certain that's the issue that's happening here. I hope Ippo and/or Coffeeman and other folks can get some use out of this. I absolutely love DangIt! (and Entropy) - thanks for your hard work! :D

Is there a way to remove the Printstatus and PrintBlacklist buttons? I saw from the earlier reply that they don't do anything in-game, and shouldn't matter but I'd prefer it if they weren't there :)

Two birds with one stone! This page is a gold mine. This mod is conflicting with my KERT, which will need for MKS maintenance when I get that far I think. Was also wondering where these buttons came from. Well, liked the idea of this mod a lot, especially because I'd like a reason to try to engineer a solution to a real problem once in a while, but right now those times are usually actually related to glitches in the game rather then my rockets. Oh well.

I hope Ippo and/or Coffeeman and other folks can get some use out of this

You, person, rock! Thanks for taking a look at this. What do you think would be the best fix? Change the part requirements by -0.0001 or try to patch KERT?

Edited by Coffeeman

You, person, rock! Thanks for taking a look at this. What do you think would be the best fix? Change the part requirements by -0.0001 or try to patch KERT?

Aw, thanks!

Well, I think the best fix would be if DangIt! can override the resource limit that MC2 is putting on the EVA suit. If the EVA can hold 15 SpareParts, I think it'll work the same whether or not MC2 and KERT are installed or not - If I just have DangIt! and KERT, but no MC2, the limit is 15.0, and there's no problem.

If that's not possible, though, I think if DangIt! only requests .999 SpareParts instead of 1.0, then I think it'll work with the MC2 limit, but the Kerbal will lose the ability to take more than one SparePart like they can normally.

Hi, you can enable manual failures using the interface in the space centre screen. You cannot disable random failures completely, but you sort of can if you go to the configs and change both MTBF and lifetime to something ridiculous - like 1 billion hours or so.

Whenever I click 'take spares' on the pod the text says 'x kerman has taken 1 spares', and the no. shown decreases by 1, but when I click on the kerbal it still says he has zero spares. I'm using a command pod from HGR at the moment, I don't know if that could have something to do with it maybe?

Well, I think the best fix would be (A BUNCH OF IDEAS THAT DON'T ACTUALLY WORK)

So, it looks like I was only sort of right, but mostly wrong. What an embarrassing way to show up in this thread! :blush:

I can say with relative certainty, though, that KERT is not the culprit, though it's not exactly compatible with DangIt!, either. Or, at least, it's not making the situation with MC2 any better.

Anyway! So, I pulled down the source for DangIt! to fiddle with, and set it to reset the EVA's max amount to the value DangIt! sets if something else set it to lower, and, after realizing I don't know C# and wrestling with it for a while, got that to function, giving the EVA suit 15.0 capacity again.

Taking spares still didn't work.

But KERT did, sort of. I was able to use it to transfer 14.99999999999...something SpareParts into the EVA, and was able to maintain and repair everything, but that wasn't decrementing the SpareParts, so I had infinite parts.

Curious, I tried HyperEdit, and was able to get 15.00 (which still didn't increment).

Lesson the first: The floating point error is a quirk in KERT's flow behavior, not in KSP's math, and that behavior doesn't break DangIt!, but could be a problem if DangIt! switched to using KERT.

After much more wrestling around with the source code, I was able to figure out that evaPart.RequestResource() was always returning 0. I switched all of the instances of evaPart.RequestResource() to just add or subtract from evaPart.Resources[spares.Name].amount and it seems to work whether or not MC2 is installed or not.

So, lesson the second: However MC2 is initiating the SpareParts resource on the EVA is breaking the RequestResource method for that part. I have no idea why!

And that's where it is. I don't really know what the proper solution is, given I know absolutely nothing about best practices for KSP code, but, there it is!

tl;dr version: MC2 is setting the SpareParts maxAmount to 1, and initializes the SpareParts resource in a way that RequestResource doesn't work. Hacking it to raise the limit back to 15 if it's lower and accessing the amount of Spares directly seems to clear the issue up.

Coffeeman, if you'd like to see my ugly hacks, let me know and I can get them up somewhere for you, else I hope that's more to point you in the direction!

Hi there! I made a video of DangIt for a series I'm making. Note, the video is quite short, a couple of features are left out, but I hope it is interesting/useful none-the-less. Feel free to share it around.

Edited by TinyPirate

Love the bullseye on the launchpad in TinyPirate's video above. Couldn't do that if he tried...

See Kepler: better use long-life parts and when there's a failure it works not so good anymore... and then it becomes trash :wink:

Can probe cores fail like Kepler, losing torque on single axes?

Hello, i am using newest beta 0.90. I installed many mods, (if anybody needs a list i will post it here). I installed this mod too. Everything works in the game, i have all the apare parts resources and i have the tooltips for repairing parts. But i have played for like a week now and there are no failtures happening. Any at all. I suppose some should have occured right? I have advanced to half way throughout the tech tree, launched over 20 rockets and flying to moon and back etc. Anybody knows how to fix it? Do i need to enable the mod somehow in the game? any conflicting mods maybe?

Ps. I play on carrer mode with all the science and reputation.

Hello, i am using newest beta 0.90. I installed many mods, (if anybody needs a list i will post it here). I installed this mod too. Everything works in the game, i have all the apare parts resources and i have the tooltips for repairing parts. But i have played for like a week now and there are no failtures happening. Any at all. I suppose some should have occured right? I have advanced to half way throughout the tech tree, launched over 20 rockets and flying to moon and back etc. Anybody knows how to fix it? Do i need to enable the mod somehow in the game? any conflicting mods maybe?

Ps. I play on carrer mode with all the science and reputation.

Please post your log file somewhere.

So i finished playing few hours ago on my pc, here is the log file. What happened now was that i made a rocket to send a rover to eve. But for some reason 2 decouplers didnt work. I doubt that is the failture, because the decouplers where like decoupled but they where still like physically attached to the probe. I could still drive anyhow. But if possible, can anyone check the log and see why that happened. Also i will try to make manual failure next time i play and i will post a log and results again

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1STw73NCkIpYzBVRFZidk1rZzA/edit?usp=docslist_api

So i finished playing few hours ago on my pc, here is the log file. What happened now was that i made a rocket to send a rover to eve. But for some reason 2 decouplers didnt work. I doubt that is the failture, because the decouplers where like decoupled but they where still like physically attached to the probe. I could still drive anyhow. But if possible, can anyone check the log and see why that happened. Also i will try to make manual failure next time i play and i will post a log and results again

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1STw73NCkIpYzBVRFZidk1rZzA/edit?usp=docslist_api

The mod is loaded and seems to be working fine. I guess you are just very lucky... :)

Re - Mission Controller

Any word on either you or Malkuth making your mods play together? At the moment your mods kill each other. Spare parts are instantly deleted as soon as you remove them from a pod, no matter which UI you use.

Update to bug - in the interests of ensuring a controlled bug test I made a fresh KSP install with just Dangit installed (and obviously the community resource pack) and it works just fine.

I then installed just the mission controller folder (not the CIT folder) and it's broken again, kerbals just can't carry spare parts. So the problem is in the MC folder not the CIT folder bundled with it.

Edited by Mulbin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.