[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

Well, I had to implement my system because at the time there was no stock system, and after that development stopped. Really, it's not a design choice, it's just legacy code.

^ Related to that, I've tried to get into the habit of properly shutting engines down when I'm not using them. But does Dang It! actually treat an engine that's active but on zero throttle any differently to an engine that's shut down?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how it is handled currently, but does a Part get more reliable the more often it is used? (Like for example the soyuz rocket) if it has not been used before there should be a near 100% rate of failure, so you would need to do something like a static testfire. Also there should be different types of failures for one Part, for engines somethong like:

-fail on activation

-fail after burning for very long

-fail on shutdown

thanks for listening to my suggestions :)

kamik423

Perhaps the poster didn't mean individual parts. Obviously a given LV-909 wouldn't get better as it's used, but the second LV-909 might credibly last longer than the first, but not as long as the 500th.

I understood what he meant, my answer is still the same ;)

I absolutely love this mod! I was launching a payload to LKO today and had my first failure (after about 50 launches)! I was using the Laztech SpaceX mod and one of the alternators failed on one of the nine engines so it wasn't steering, it didn't affect me to much because of the other eight engines but it was great that it finally happened! I was also launching a probe to Duna and a battery short circuited.

Quick question though. Would it be possible to add a slider to control how likely it is that a part will fail, or is there already something to do that?

I absolutely love this mod! I was launching a payload to LKO today and had my first failure (after about 50 launches)! I was using the Laztech SpaceX mod and one of the alternators failed on one of the nine engines so it wasn't steering, it didn't affect me to much because of the other eight engines but it was great that it finally happened! I was also launching a probe to Duna and a battery short circuited.

Quick question though. Would it be possible to add a slider to control how likely it is that a part will fail, or is there already something to do that?

Right now it's only controlled via the MM patches (which, I must stress, are still all placeholders).

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see you again Ippo! Don't know if you remember me or not. I've been gone about a year now made a promise to stay away from the Green Space Crack until release :D

I've been stalking the forums dropping in on my favorite modders and seeing who's still here. I hope all is well! :D

Good to see you again Ippo! Don't know if you remember me or not. I've been gone about a year now made a promise to stay away from the Green Space Crack until release :D

I've been stalking the forums dropping in on my favorite modders and seeing who's still here. I hope all is well! :D

Hey man! Glad to see you again!

All is... going. Not particularly well to be honest. On the plus side... this :)

Hey man! Glad to see you again!

All is... going. Not particularly well to be honest. On the plus side... this :)

HOLY CRAP SOOO JEALOUS! You look like you are having an absolute blast (and saturated with sweet sweet endorphins). Well whatever troubles lurk out there at least you have that jump (jumps??? i'm guessing others because you are solo) to think about, :). One day I totally want to do at least one before I die. Best thing I've done in the sky is co-piloting a lil piper cub as part of a "junior test pilot" program. Hey maybe one day in crazy alternate universe I'll take you up and you can jump out of my perfectly good airplane. :P

One day I totally want to do at least one before I die. Best thing I've done in the sky is co-piloting a lil piper cub as part of a "junior test pilot" program. Hey maybe one day in crazy alternate universe I'll take you up and you can jump out of my perfectly good airplane. :P

Eheh :P Trust me, just go ahead and do it. It's totally different from what you'd expect: the clouds from above are the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. After the first jumps, you lose the fear and it becomes even relaxing in a catarthic sort of way :)

And yes, I got my AFF license so now I jump solo :P

Eheh :P Trust me, just go ahead and do it. It's totally different from what you'd expect: the clouds from above are the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. After the first jumps, you lose the fear and it becomes even relaxing in a catarthic sort of way :)

And yes, I got my AFF license so now I jump solo :P

Gods I wish I could get straight to the relaxing part. I know I have it in me because same thing happened when I rode my first coasters and flew in my first aircraft. First few times, and then it just became soooooothing. Sweet sweet G-forces.

Give me about a year. ($ more then anything) There is actually a skydiving school literally 5 minutes from my house, I watch them go up all the time. My biggest fear is getting totally hooked on it. Congrats on the license!

I'm guessing I know that answer but: Affordable commercial space flight. Say affordable but like 5 to 10 years of saving $. You go?

Good answer!!!! :D Just think, maybe in a few decades before we get too ancient we will hit up one of a hundred or so small sub-orbital tourist agencies. "Yea so.. Kerbal Space Program. Remember that?" and the owner will be like "Holy crap that's what got me into rocket science and spacecraft design. You said the magic words. Big fat discount for you!".

Yes. It will be our secret handshake. :)

- - - Updated - - -

(just don't tell them you designed a mod about blowing spacecraft up) *wink*

Hey guys, just popping in to say hello.

Actually I too went once for skydiving, I went solo but had chute auto pull from the plane. Still one of the greatest experiences ever. That and actually piloting the plane.

Just wanted to ask, how is the state of this mod for the current version? On the description for a kerbal engineer it says he can fix things, that lead me believe something this mods was made somewhat stock, but I've guess parts don't have random failures do they?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.