[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

Alpha 0.6.2: I'm-not-dead edition

- Supports KSP 1.0.5

- Allows fully disabling on a per-save basis

- Fixes issue where you could use the amount tweaker to get half a spare part

- Correctly check temp when doing maintenance

- Correctly apply ModuleGimbalReliability to engine parts using ModuleEnginesFX

- Move max temp config to a config file

Update with CKAN or get it on KerbalStuff

Alpha 0.6.2: I'm-not-dead edition

- Supports KSP 1.0.5

- Allows fully disabling on a per-save basis

- Fixes issue where you could use the amount tweaker to get half a spare part

- Correctly check temp when doing maintenance

- Correctly apply ModuleGimbalReliability to engine parts using ModuleEnginesFX

- Move max temp config to a config file

Update with CKAN or get it on KerbalStuff

No toolbox? :(

No toolbox? :(

Not yet :(

I have it loading into the game, but whenever I put it on a ship (with the code setup) it clips into the part it's mounted on. Still working on it!

That will definitely be in the next release, I just wanted to ship what's been in the pipeline for months for 1.0.5.

I really appreciate the creation of this model, and I'm very sorry that it's taken me forever to move on it. I'll have it working soon, I've just had a hard time making room for DangIt.

Thanks again man, and I really am sorry it's taken me so long.

Edited by Coffeeman

Not yet :(

I have it loading into the game, but whenever I put it on a ship it clips into the part it's mounted on. Still working on it!

That will definitely be in the next release, I just wanted to ship what's been in the pipeline for months for 1.0.5.

I really appreciate the creation of this model, and I'm very sorry that it's taken me forever to move on it. I'll have it working soon, I've just had a hard time making room for DangIt.

Thanks again man, and I really am sorry it's taken me so long.

It's supposed to clip a little - that way the KAS backpack side is hidden when it's mounted, and the box doesn't jut out of a ship too much. Kinda why the inside of it has a /¯¯¯\ shape so the curvature of a rounded tank it sits on doesn't poke through and cover all the tools. Its been a while though, things might have changed with the stock parts, so i'm not too sure. There was a sweet spot with attachment but if its not working for you, feel free to tinker.

Don't stress if you're still busy, I was just worried you'd forgotten about it is all :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and with my in-game tests - it is terribly awkward to work with (attachment rules aside). I'm thinking the bay is probably best suited for rovers or bases, it's a bit fiddly to work with on streamlined craft. Not sure if an inline version is needed (or wanted) - but I could probably get a US part made for that later on.

I think Its fine as-is model wise (we have inline storage baus for people worried about asthetics after all.) I meant thay when I add it to a part it clips into the center of the part when I have KIS installed. Its probably something I messed up in the cfg, so it should be a quick fix.

Thanks again man!

Just a minor bug report: I installed this mod, but then decided I didn't want it active for this particular (newly started, zero flights in progress) save game. I clicked to disable it and it gave me the warning about flights in progress, and at the bottom of that window it said I had -1 flights going. Also I think your .version file hasn't been updated properly; AVC is reporting that the mod was designed to work with an earlier version of KSP but you specifically said in your post above that it's set up for 1.0.5 :)

Ippo, a suggestion for this great mod, if I may. Currently, the failures happen only on the active craft, the one you're flying. But not for other on-going flights. That is not logical, and it encourages player to spend as little time flying the craft as possible. I suggest that the failures would be calculated for all flown vessels. For example, when player is exiting a specific flight, calculate the odds of a failure for all and any parts present in that craft, and if dice rolls for a failure to happen, set an invisible alarm (time warp stop) when that failure is to happen, then display a message like "Fuel leak on Eve Rover-1". Mechanics could be different from what I suggested (like, real-time failure calculation, but that may slow down general game performance), but you get my point - no craft should be safe from failures, both active and inactive.

Could this be implemented?

Several months back when I was brand new to KSP, I saw this mod and though, "Oh, that's awesome! But do I really want to do that to myself?" I decided no; I was still very green and didn't know what I was doing half the time, decided this wouldn't help me learn the game.

But now, it's time to reconsider it for my upcoming realism / story career mode. :D

Quick question. How does this mod track and increment hours of use? Does it only count that time that the vessel is active (vessels not active are timeless) or say for an engine, time that it's actually running? Does it keep track of this time logged for parts adding stuff to the save file?

I'm asking so I know what my capabilities are in setting up a sort of scenario.

Thanks. :)

Love, Love, Love this mod but (as stated many times on this thread) find it unrealistic for long un-kebaled missions. We earthlings have a great success rate for unmanned multi-year missions to other planets, but DangIt makes these these kind of missions near impossible, if not completely impossible.

I want to keep this mod. I find that tweaking MTBF or Lifetime doesn't seem to help much.

Example: ModuleBatteryReliability

Stock Mod = MTFB 175200, Lifetime 87600

My tweaks = MTFB 21024000, Lifetime 8760000

This should allow my batteries to fly to the Andromeda Galaxy AND BACK. But I still get multiple battery failures in an hour of game time.

Three questions.

1. What am I doing wrong? Are there settings that will allow my parts last years (game time)?

2. Does tweaking either MTBF or Lifetime effect ships that are already built and in flight or only newly build ships?

3. Is removing (uninstalling) DangIt still an issue? see this thread 30th June 2014, 9:35.

Thanks much,
[COLOR=#FFFFFF]
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Kyrt Malthorn']...[/QUOTE]

Only when active (definition of active depends on part)

[quote name='Rocketmanreturns']...[/QUOTE]

Hm... that really should work. That issue stinks of programmmer error. Ill take a look this weekend.

Uninstallation shojld only cause issues if parts are failed when you uninstall it. Either way, Id back up your saves first. Sorry to see you go :( hopefully this issue has a simple cause, because I agree, some if the failure values are rediculous. Edited by Coffeeman
phone kkebords :(

[quote name='Coffeeman']Only when active (definition of active depends on part)

Hm... that really should work. That issue stinks of programmmer error. Ill take a look this weekend.

Uninstallation shojld only cause issues if parts are failed when you uninstall it. Either way, Id back up your saves first. Sorry to see you go :( hopefully this issue has a simple cause, because I agree, some if the failure values are rediculous.[/QUOTE]

Coffeeman,

Thanks for the quick reply (really appreciated). The error may be on my part. I didn't realize that changes to MTBF and Lifetime only effect newly built vessels (according to Charfa). I'll pay closer attention to see if the failures are on my new or old vessels.

• 3 weeks later...

Does heat affect the probability of failure? I just lost an entire Moho expedition because all four engines (spread across two different stages) failed just as I throttled up for my orbital insertion. Also, it happens again and again even after I reload my quicksave.

EDIT: According to the wiki, yes. Dang it. Can I mitigate this using radiators?

Edited by Mitchz95

I recently reinstalled this mod after it became compatible with Mission Controller, but it seems, for me, the interface has changed.

I remember there being a button on the taskbar when you are on the launch pad/flying where you could level up your Dang It skills for the Kerbal in "Crew Management".  I checked youtube and watched a video on the Dang it mod where the person playing also had a button on the taskbar when he was launching a ship...  and he was showing off how crew management worked.

Well, my button is no longer there.  I still have a button on the space center screen... which shows the Dang it options, alarm settings, ect...  but I don't know where to go to train my kerbals.

So, where do I find the crew management window... or, how do I level up my skills?  or is it a bug and I need to re-install?

6 hours ago, True Incompetence said:

I recently reinstalled this mod after it became compatible with Mission Controller, but it seems, for me, the interface has changed.

I remember there being a button on the taskbar when you are on the launch pad/flying where you could level up your Dang It skills for the Kerbal in "Crew Management".  I checked youtube and watched a video on the Dang it mod where the person playing also had a button on the taskbar when he was launching a ship...  and he was showing off how crew management worked.

Well, my button is no longer there.  I still have a button on the space center screen... which shows the Dang it options, alarm settings, ect...  but I don't know where to go to train my kerbals.

So, where do I find the crew management window... or, how do I level up my skills?  or is it a bug and I need to re-install?

Kerbals use the stock experience system now. For example, an engineer needs three stars to fix an engine.

IMO this mod needs a GUI of some type.  If I miss the quick message telling me what part failed, I have to hunt all over to find it.  I'd like to see a toolbar button that at least displays a list of all broken parts.

EDIT: OK I just noticed the broken part highlighting.  Does not seem to always show up.  I switch between DX11 and DX9 modes and it doesn't highlight in one or the other modes.

Edited by bgeery

I'm hoping I'm not being annoying by asking something that was in one of the middle pages of posts.  I read the first few and last few, but that middle section is unchecked.  :-)

Is there a way of tagging a part so that it has increased or decreased failure rates?  I'm asking as I'm working on a mod for V-2 rockets and the aggregate family or rocket parts associated.  And, well, the A-1 through to A3, plus the A-5 had a ludicrous failure rate.  These are at the birth of rocketry, and (for example) every A-3 failed at some stage before they were supposed to (although I think they all launched).   So, the A-4 (aka V-2) was a bit better, possibly because it had more launches and no chutes, but I'd like to crank failure rates to "you can't pay a Kerbal enough to sit on one of these" IFF players have Dangit.

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching the alt-F12 debug log to see if I could figure out why the game crashes a lot these days, and I spotted “[Error]: Cannot find a Module of typename 'DangIt'”.  I don’t have DangIt installed, though I may have at some point in the distant past.  Anyone know why KSP is expecting to find DangIt when it isn’t installed, and how I can scrub this from KSP?

I'm running into some frustrating problems during a Moho mission. The Poodle engine on a rather critical lander refuses to work without failing on the spot, even if I just serviced/repaired it. I get that the parts age faster as they're exposed to heat, but if I still can't use this thing literally one second after it's serviced, something is fundamentally wrong.

Edited by Mitchz95

On 1/7/2016 at 11:43 PM, meyerweb said:

I was watching the alt-F12 debug log to see if I could figure out why the game crashes a lot these days, and I spotted “[Error]: Cannot find a Module of typename 'DangIt'”.  I don’t have DangIt installed, though I may have at some point in the distant past.  Anyone know why KSP is expecting to find DangIt when it isn’t installed, and how I can scrub this from KSP?

Followup with a solution: DangIt adds a SCENARIO block to `persistent.sfs`, and it stays there after DangIt is removed.  If (like me) you want to get rid of the debug console error messages, you load `persistent.sfs` into a text editor, find the SCENARIO block for DangIt, and remove it.  Back up the file first, just in case!

The same solution applies if you ever installed and then removed HoloDeck.  There are probably other mods that do this as well, but those are the only two that have caused this problem for me.

Still my favourite mod. Results in enough failures so you know that it's working, but seldom enough not to rage quit. Had my first launch failure the other day - lost one of two swivels on my first stage just as I was entering max q; I had a split second of "oh, that's not good" before I ended up with an uncontrollable yaw rate, scattering my very expensive geostationary comms satellite all over the bay. And the thing is... I wasn't even mad. I've had enough failures that have been survivable, a nasty one had to happen eventually. And it was brilliant. It means that every single other launch is still tense, with redundancy having to be built in - a constant challenge, keeping the game fresh and new. The balance between failures and boredom is perfect. Unlike the balance on my booster, which was not.

@Ippo, @Coffeeman, you guys are the best!

It said the more you use a part the higher chances to get error. It means a ship/rocket or the whole career. For example i will launch 10 times with same rocket design but different payloads. So the rocket will be more likely to explode on my 10th attempt then the 1st time?

Edited by Carrot

1 hour ago, Carrot said:

It said the more you use a part the higher chances to get error. It means a ship/rocket or the whole career. For example i will launch 10 times with same rocket design but different payloads. So the rocket will be more likely to explode on my 10th attempt then the 1st time?

The countdown is distinct for each individual vessel you launch. A ship launched from Kerbin five years ago is more likely to fail than one launched an hour ago, even if both are the exact same design.

On 21/1/2016 at 6:32 AM, Mitchz95 said:

The countdown is distinct for each individual vessel you launch. A ship launched from Kerbin five years ago is more likely to fail than one launched an hour ago, even if both are the exact same design.

I'm not sure that can be said to be scientifically true, because the craft need to be focused to fail and I don't think there's any system in place to check if something should have failed in the past unfocused period.

My natural playstyle before starting to use this mod, was to never warp for long periods of time, with or without a focused vessel, I always go back and do something else while waiting for Solar System Voyage XyZ, instead of fast forwarding. That unfortunately minimize the danger of dangit significantly, especially on unmanned craft as they get almost no focused time.

I was thinking of having a resource that cost high amount of cash, if that resource is on the ship, it reduces chance of failure by 1% pr. resource, so you could have little tested or extensive tested ships and paying less or more cash for the system or the resource could control when the first normal failure could occur with decay of the resource. I wish you could add the resource to every item instead of the MTBF data, but I don't think the resource system could handle the abuse.

I don't generally like basic random numbers, because it means in one person games something will fail 100 times out of 100 and in another's 0 times out of 100. That doesn't really work in a game, I don't give a flying hoot about what happens in someone else's game, it's the experience in my game that matters, so if their is a 1 in 10 chance, then it should happen at least once.

Edited by Miravlix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.