[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

• 2 weeks later...
On February 10, 2016 at 0:32 PM, Mods_o_joy said:

Do you think that you could add more kinds of failure's?(Like a Gemini 8 RCS Failure, Engine Misfire, Ect)

Entropy adds more failures, look on Spacedock.

Edited by Andem

Has anyone tried this with Kerbal Krash Systems? The mod looks good, and I'd like to install it, but my machine is creaking under the weight of so many mods as it is and I don't want to install something that may conflict. Compatibility would be awesome, especially in the similar way that KKS uses engineers to fix things and increasing the risk of random failures based on how much you've banged a piece about would be excellent.

(The way I see it - Dang It! and Entropy are failures from manufacturing, random chance, micro meteorites etc. Failures from KKS is what I deserve when I've been stupid enough to hit the ground at 20m/s)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2016 at 6:47 AM, BLUESTREAK said:

Has anyone tried this with Kerbal Krash Systems? The mod looks good, and I'd like to install it, but my machine is creaking under the weight of so many mods as it is and I don't want to install something that may conflict. Compatibility would be awesome, especially in the similar way that KKS uses engineers to fix things and increasing the risk of random failures based on how much you've banged a piece about would be excellent.

(The way I see it - Dang It! and Entropy are failures from manufacturing, random chance, micro meteorites etc. Failures from KKS is what I deserve when I've been stupid enough to hit the ground at 20m/s)

did u try this? was about to add both kks and dangit to add some variety to my missions

also mod maker needs to update the ckan link

Dangit doesn't respect hidden resources, breaking the latest USI that use virtual resources, these resources, as I mentioned in my previous post, isn't real resources, can't be transferred and leaking them breaks other mods that use them as programming tools and not resources. The resource system does support this by having the ability to set a resource to hidden, but unfortunately dangit happily leaks things like USI's ReplacementParts (Thats a virtual resource for USI new maintenance system and not something that can be transferred or or should ever be leaked).

I've entered a stage in my career game where I put up long term and even semi permanent structures, so I made a mental note to remember to refill those structures SpareParts as part of my supply runs, but I'm not allowed to transfair SpareParts?

On 2/26/2016 at 9:53 AM, Miravlix said:

Dangit doesn't respect hidden resources, breaking the latest USI that use virtual resources, these resources, as I mentioned in my previous post, isn't real resources, can't be transferred and leaking them breaks other mods that use them as programming tools and not resources. The resource system does support this by having the ability to set a resource to hidden, but unfortunately dangit happily leaks things like USI's ReplacementParts (Thats a virtual resource for USI new maintenance system and not something that can be transferred or or should ever be leaked).

I've entered a stage in my career game where I put up long term and even semi permanent structures, so I made a mental note to remember to refill those structures SpareParts as part of my supply runs, but I'm not allowed to transfair SpareParts?

I'm pretty new to KSP and to modding it. I've been setting up a whole whack of mods for the past 12 hours or so, trying to make sure that everything is compatible before I start anything. Anyhow, I'm not certain how to test this exactly but based on what you've said, it sounds like some of those resources from USI hadn't been added to Dang It's blacklist configuration file. My understanding is that anything on that list won't be used for leaks in DangIt/Entropy.

Anyhow, I can't test it as I'm nowhere near making colonies but if you wanted to test it out, I poured through the USI code and extracted all the resource names that weren't in the DangIt config that I thought should be. So, the config file is at ~/GameData/DangIt/PluginData/DangIt/BlackList.cfg. Add this somewhere in the file:

//USI
	ignore = MEP-Computing
	ignore = MEP-Environmental
	ignore = MEP-Mining
	ignore = MEP-Laboratory
	ignore = MEP-Manufacturing
	ignore = MEP-Refining
	ignore = MetallicOre
	ignore = Metals
	ignore = Polymers
	ignore = Karbonite
	ignore = PatchKits
	ignore = RepairKits
	ignore = ReplacementParts
	ignore = BasicMachinery
	ignore = AdvMachinery
	ignore = SpecMachinery
	ignore = PlasticParts
	ignore = Robotics
	ignore = Computers
	ignore = ModularParts
	ignore = Machinery
	ignore = DepletedFuel

Let me know if that helps :)

ALPHA 6.3

I'm finally done with robotics and other such nonsense, and had some time to take a quick look at DangIt. I've pushed a quick built with Daishi's spare parts bay to SpaceDock: http://spacedock.info/mod/307/DangIt. I also have a PR waiting at NetKAN for CKAN integration with SpaceDock.

The only meaningful change with 0.6.3 is Daishi's spare parts bay -- and Daishi: I'm sorry for falling off the map there, you delivered me a perfect part and I was too busy with whatever nonsense I was up to to go the last mile. I'm really sorry.

Hopefully this will breathe a little life into DangIt, and maybe expect further updates. For now, signing off: its 1AM here.

8 hours ago, Barks said:

Let me know if that helps :)

Already figured out how to fix both issues on my own installation, by hacking CommunityResourcePack (Where SpareParts is defined as an nontransferable resource) and the Dangit file you mentioned.

Of Course the absent inventor returns and creates and update that overwrites my change. Doh!

9 hours ago, Coffeeman said:

ALPHA 6.3

I'm finally done with robotics and other such nonsense, and had some time to take a quick look at DangIt. I've pushed a quick built with Daishi's spare parts bay to SpaceDock: http://spacedock.info/mod/307/DangIt. I also have a PR waiting at NetKAN for CKAN integration with SpaceDock.

The only meaningful change with 0.6.3 is Daishi's spare parts bay -- and Daishi: I'm sorry for falling off the map there, you delivered me a perfect part and I was too busy with whatever nonsense I was up to to go the last mile. I'm really sorry.

Hopefully this will breathe a little life into DangIt, and maybe expect further updates. For now, signing off: its 1AM here.

Don't worry about it, real life takes first priority. Sleep well! :)

Edited by Daishi

2 hours ago, Daishi said:

Don't worry about it, real life takes first priority. Sleep well! :)

Just downloaded this for the first time and, although I haven't had any mishaps yet, looking at the spare parts kit in the VAB...that's easily one of the best pieces I've ever seen - well done! The inside work is fantastic.

Now to figure out what to do with it...

Cheers.

p.s. I quoted you because I'm a forum newb and don't know how to tag users normally, like /u/xyz on reddit, so this will have to do

10 hours ago, Miravlix said:

Already figured out how to fix both issues on my own installation, by hacking CommunityResourcePack (Where SpareParts is defined as an nontransferable resource) and the Dangit file you mentioned.

Of Course the absent inventor returns and creates and update that overwrites my change. Doh!

Sorry about that, lol. I'd happily incorporate Barks's changes into the next release :)

5 hours ago, YoshiFanZ123 said:

Dangit! I would download mod if compatible with mods and control surfaces

It isn't incompatible to my knowledge, just FAR control surfaces won't fail.

4 hours ago, atomontage said:

Does it also break satellites? I guess it does (why not?). I love RemoteTech and it would be horrible to keep constantly losing commsats. Or long range exploration ones.

Yes, but it only breaks them if they're your active ship, so when they're not your active focus, they're safe. But parts now age (MTBF). So on my comm sats (for remote tech), I turn off the reaction wheels to prevent aging and spare dishes and stuff. I'm pretty new to dang it, but I had the debug stats on, and I know turning off the torque at least stops them from aging.

---edit---

Keep in mind you can also edit things to increase, or decrease, the MTBF of every part in the game as you wish, or to exempt certain parts (probe cores for example) entirely. Or you could always temporarily disable the mod in game (there's an option to do so) while you check your satellites, then reenable when you're done, but, meh.

Edited by Deimos Rast

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

Yes, but it only breaks them if they're your active ship, so when they're not your active focus, they're safe. But parts now age (MTBF). So on my comm sats (for remote tech), I turn off the reaction wheels to prevent aging and spare dishes and stuff. I'm pretty new to dang it, but I had the debug stats on, and I know turning off the torque at least stops them from aging.

---edit---

Keep in mind you can also edit things to increase, or decrease, the MTBF of every part in the game as you wish, or to exempt certain parts (probe cores for example) entirely. Or you could always temporarily disable the mod in game (there's an option to do so) while you check your satellites, then reenable when you're done, but, meh.

So does it look at the MET time, or is it just counting down while active?  If I leave a ship orbiting for years and then activate it, are a bunch of parts going to be beyond the MTBF and start breaking all at once?

I can't pop a fresh vehicle from SPH/VAB without it failing in the first few seconds.

Older vehicles seems troubled too, as I jump to them most will have a failure.

In a situation like this it would be really nice if the UI had an option to not create new failures, since disabling it would create problems for all the stuff I have floating around with broken stuff on it.

Bug: incorrect costs of cockpits from Firespitter

TL;DR

A few of the Firespitter cockpits load into the SPH / VAB with negative prices due to the spare parts storage not being full. However, filling this storage makes the cockpit ~1.5 times heavier, but gives it a correct price.

Yep.

Full Explanation

It seems that despite an early aircraft cockpit saying a reasonable price, upon clicking on it and placing it down I find that my total craft cost becomes negative. The ones I know are affected are the:

Junkers Ju-87 Cockpit,

Heinkel He-111 Cockpit,

Bonanza Cockpit.

I have literally just started my game so these cockpits are probably not be the only ones.

This is linked with the spare parts stored inside. The price (using the Junkers Cockpit as an example) displays 189 funds. When it is loaded into the bay it becomes -882 funds.

I discovered that the cockpit is loaded in with only 15 out of 100 spare parts, and when you add the last 85 parts, the cost goes back to what it should be: 189 funds.

However, the cockpit then becomes about 1.5 times heavier with the extra spare parts (from the displayed 0.4591t to 0.780t).

I don't know if this is just a bad interaction between TAC life support or any of the other mods I have installed. FYI I am using RSS and RP-0 and a few cosmetic mods.

Has this already been said? Any quick fixes?

Thanks

I just started using this mod and I love it very much so far :)

I have one question though. Is it possible to make the "Inspect" messages pop up on screen, instead of having to manually open the message in the corner? I'm ok if only the broken part will pop up on screen, because it's really a pain to look through 16-17 messages when for instance "a control surface has failed" happens on a large SSTO, or if an engine fails on a multi-engine stage. The "glow" function doesn't seem to be working properly in my end, which is fine because I preffer to manually search for the glitch myself :)

Integration with VessleView would be awesome!

Oh.. Dang it!

AxW78kW.png

I have a spacecraft on its way to Duna. While about to perform a course correction midway to Duna, all the engines failed immediately upon turning on the throttle. 

So, I repaired one engine, and performed some maintenance. Then I test-fired it to see if it helped. The engine failed again right away. What is the best approach to get the engines fixed? Just repairing doesn't seem to help. If I can't get at least some of these engines working, the spacecraft will miss Duna and the Kerbals (eight of them) will be lost in space forever.. The engines were only used for the Trans-Duna injection burn at Kerbin, which took about 30 minutes game time. 

Houston, we have a problem. This isn't my first failure, but arguably the hardest, as I can't get the engines fixed. Can anyone advice me on this one?

EDIT:

Looking at the savefile, I see the following info at the ModuleEngineReliability mod for the broken engines:

Spoiler

MODULE
                {
                    name = ModuleEngineReliability
                    isEnabled = True
                    oldSurfaceFXMaxDistance = 50
                    MTBF = 8760
                    LifeTime = 1
                    RepairCost = 10
                    RepairBonus = 0.1
                    MaintenanceCost = 2
                    MaintenanceBonus = 0.3
                    InspectionBonus = 120
                    Silent = False
                    Priority = HIGH
                    PerksRequirementName = Engineer
                    PerksRequirementValue = 3
                    HasInitted = True
                    TimeOfLastReset = 2.56979E+07
                    TimeOfLastInspection = -Infinity
                    Age = 195234.1
                    LastFixedUpdate = 2.724595E+07
                    CurrentMTBF = 2.454581E-20
                    LifeTimeSecs = 3600
                    HasFailed = True
                    stagingEnabled = True

}

The MTBF is practically zero, and the age of the component is several times the life time, assuming their units are both in seconds. That's odd, as the total time I used the engines (burn time) was about half an hour of game time. This would imply that the reliability should still be relatively high. Is something fishy, or did I miss something?

Edited by DaMaster_Architect

On 3/6/2016 at 2:44 PM, Pupudski said:

Bug: incorrect costs of cockpits from Firespitter

words and stuff

TLDR: Not a bug; the cause and possible remedy is found inside of the SpareParts.cfg inside of the DangIt/ModuleManager Folder.

Long explanation: I had an even longer one written, but I'm changing it, because I didn't realize the Community Resource Pack is listed as a dependency. This has to do with Dangit not defining its own resource, SpareParts, and letting the CRP do it instead (12.6 per unit). DangIt then decides to change the cost of the container of the SpareParts (i.e. your brand new Mk1 Pod) by an additional amount, before the game has even loaded. If you remove the added cost from the config, all your command modules will have screwed up costs (your $600 Mk1 Pod is now -$50) and I can't figure out a way around that. If your curious, the added cost to the Mk.1 Pod is $630 for 50 SpareParts, which works out to exactly the same price per unit of 12.6 already being charged to you by the Community Resource Pack. Why they need to double charge you, and why it still balances (that's what worries me), I don't know. I've torn the installation apart, the only thing I can't touch is the plugin, so it probably happens there.

Seriously though, do you really need the CRP if you're just defining one resource (there could be other reasons that I don't know about).

Hope that helps (probably not:P).

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, JT531 said:

How do I repair stuff!?

You EVA with an Engineer prefferably, take spare parts out of tha capsule with right click, and right click the broken part and repair it.

I've been using Dangit! for a while (and "enjoying" it much like I enjoy bashing my head against a wall...why do we do things like this to ourselves??).  I've noticed a new behaviour in the last day or two which seems like a bug.  At the moment practically every time a kerbal boards after an EVA a part will break.  This makes it basically impossible to keep the craft in any state of repair because it is an endless loop of EVA-repair-board-something breaks.  I see there are issues with USI and I am using USI.  But the things that are breaking are generally batteries and fuel/monopropelant tanks, so this doesn't seem like a USI issue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.