[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

On 18/5/2016 at 5:58 PM, Marian90 said:

I have rebuilded the mod with 1.1.2 KSP, but didn't had time yet to check if it works.

If anyone want to test it, there is my fork on github: https://github.com/mzoworka/DangIt and in releases there is also a binary.

I have no experiance in making mods (KSP or unity at all), so I have just fixed the build as I could - no idea if it works.

Thanks for taking the time, gonna install it right now and give it a try.

Oooops!

On 18/5/2016 at 5:58 PM, Marian90 said:

I have rebuilded the mod with 1.1.2 KSP, but didn't had time yet to check if it works.

If anyone want to test it, there is my fork on github: https://github.com/mzoworka/DangIt and in releases there is also a binary.

I have no experiance in making mods (KSP or unity at all), so I have just fixed the build as I could - no idea if it works.

Ok I tested it in 64bit windows. It works, but it had some problems:

-The toolbox was missing - I added it.

-It needs the resource spareparts defined either by community resource pack or by a standalone file - I Added a .cfg to add it.

-It shows an ugly message about 64bit not recommended, I can't fix that so If you please can take a look at the code and remove it it would be awesome. Edit: It doesnt show it in a modded install, weird.

Here is your release with the fixes i made, I hope it helps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvb0ie68cg9kwj8/DangIt-toolbox.zip?dl=0

Edited by Elkram

24 minutes ago, Elkram said:

Oooops!

Ok I tested it in 64bit windows. It works, but it had some problems:

-The toolbox was missing - I added it.

-It needs the resource spareparts defined either by community resource pack or by a standalone file - I Added a .cfg to add it.

-It shows an ugly message about 64bit not recommended, I can't fix that so If you please can take a look at the code and remove it it would be awesome.

Here is your release with the fixes i made, I hope it helps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvb0ie68cg9kwj8/DangIt-toolbox.zip?dl=0

Oh, I forgot about the dependencies...

Unfortunately today I have no time to make new release. Maybe tomorrow (or at weekend) I will prepare new package.

Of course you can just use Ippo's Dang It package and replace dll file (as I have only changed dll file there).

Also - I have no experience in making KSP mods, so every comment and advice are welcome. This one I'm updating because I was missing it :wink:

Edited by Marian90

1 hour ago, Marian90 said:

Unfortunately today I have no time to make new release. Maybe tomorrow (or at weekend) I will prepare new package.

Of course you can just use Ippo's Dang It package and replace dll file (as I have only changed dll file there).

Also - I have no experience in making KSP mods, so every comment and advice are welcome. This one I'm updating because I was missing it :wink:

You did not understand me. I fixed it for you, I added what was missing, the toolbox and the resources. The toolbox contains spareparts for repairs. It's all in the file.

I like DangIt too thats why Im helping. Thanks for your work.

10 hours ago, MisterFister said:

It's been a while since I've run this mod, but I'm not sure that failures can be manually "triggered" on command.  That said, I do know that focusing on a craft in orbit and timewarping will eventually cause multiple inevitable failures.

There's an option 'manual failures' or similarly worded, that around a year ago allowed you to right click and cause failures. The option is still in the dangit menu when at KSC. 
It's no worry though :) I will do as you say and focus on a timewarping ship to see if the mod is working.

9 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

There's an option 'manual failures' or similarly worded, that around a year ago allowed you to right click and cause failures. The option is still in the dangit menu when at KSC. 
It's no worry though :) I will do as you say and focus on a timewarping ship to see if the mod is working.

I tried the manual failures in a 64bit windows and it worked but still havent got a "normal" mod failure.

Edited by Elkram

56 minutes ago, Elkram said:

I tried the manual failures in a 64bit windows and it worked but still havent got a "normal" mod failure.

Yep, that's my experience too using your release. I chucked a satellite into orbit of the sun and timewarped 5 years forward. No failures, everything still working just like at launch. This is with manual failures disabled and in a sandbox save.

3 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

Yep, that's my experience too using your release. I chucked a satellite into orbit of the sun and timewarped 5 years forward. No failures, everything still working just like at launch. This is with manual failures disabled and in a sandbox save.

mmmm it's kinda weird, 5 years without failures.

On 5/20/2016 at 2:04 AM, Elkram said:

Yeah, I was here thinking that it was broken. But I just had a random control surface failure on a craft in while flying in a scenario. So it's functioning, at least sometimes anyway :)

2 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

Yeah, I was here thinking that it was broken. But I just had a random control surface failure on a craft in while flying in a scenario. So it's functioning, at least sometimes anyway :)

awesome, havent got much time to play, thanks for sharing your results

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 3:48 AM, BLUESTREAK said:

It's very hard to put a definitive  quantity on failure rates; I've not found a way to adjust the failure rate, but little failures happen often enough to warrant thinking about the possibility, but not often enough to rage quit. To me, this strikes an ideal balance, but others have complained about near constant failures whilst others complain about the mod doing very little. It's random and a balance; for me it's just right. I've only once had a main engine fail on liftoff (inducing a 50% drop in thrust and an unrecoverable yaw rate, hoo boy was that one fun!) - in short, this mod is great fun and ideal for making things more challenging

Not sure why I never replied to this one sooner: Your launch-stage failure is the exact reason I run this mod, as it forces me to contemplate and design against possible launch-abort and launch-escape scenarios.  Of course, the most catastrophic examples are launch stage failures within the first 30 seconds of liftoff, as most anything beyond that affords the possibility of cutting throttle and coasting for a few seconds while options are considered.  (Unless @Coffeeman or @Ippo incorporate throttle-locks, over-thrust, or cascading failure / explosion scenarios as one possible failure mode... ouch that sounds evil!)

I had a reaction wheel failure three days after launch, so I would say that it's working just fine. It may need a few values tweaked, but the code itself is solid.

9 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

A side note and a real long shot, but does anyone know about the state of entropy/if someone could get it working? It added parachute failures, srb failures, and other interesting failures to dangit.

As far as I know for now entropy is not being updated, we are lucky dangit itself got updated. And yeah it's not going to work without an update.

On 23/5/2016 at 9:29 PM, Andem said:

I had a reaction wheel failure three days after launch, so I would say that it's working just fine. It may need a few values tweaked, but the code itself is solid.

Good! Thanks for posting this!.

Edited by Elkram

11 minutes ago, Elkram said:

As far as I know for now entropy is not being updated, we are lucky dangit itself got updated. And yeah it's not going to work without an update.

Hmm, @Marian90, did you change any of the code withing the individual failure modules? If you did, Entropy probably won't work, but from what I know Entropy required the Dangit.dll to work. If that's ally you didn't, it might still work.

Edited by Andem

5 hours ago, Elkram said:

As far as I know for now entropy is not being updated, we are lucky dangit itself got updated.

Wait a second, DangIt is updated?  I've been reloading both this thread and CKAN for weeks waiting for this specific mod to update with no activity visible to me.  I saw comments indicating that update efforts were proceeding apace and haven't been commenting further.  What you mean when you say that DangIt has been updated?

44 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Wait a second, DangIt is updated?  I've been reloading both this thread and CKAN for weeks waiting for this specific mod to update with no activity visible to me.  I saw comments indicating that update efforts were proceeding apace and haven't been commenting further.  What you mean when you say that DangIt has been updated?

Look at the top of this page, or possibly one page back.  @Marian90 posted a fixed version of @Elkram's fix.  It's a fork of the original, but it's basically identical to the 1.0.5 version other than 1.1.2 compatibility.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎18 at 1:51 PM, Andem said:
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎18 at 11:58 AM, Marian90 said:

Testing it now, I just wanted to let you know that the downloads file structure is broken, the internal folders were "spewed" everywhere.

--EDIT--

Oh, and I'm getting outdated error warnings telling me that 64bit KSP is not a supported version of the game.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 9:21 AM, ninjaisfast said:

Not sure if this is a bug or not with your release, but I can't seem to verify if dangit is working. I can't cause manual failures by enabling them from the menu and then right clicking on parts in flight. Unsure if this is me not realising how to cause failures...happens in both 32bit and 64bit.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 1:41 PM, Marian90 said:

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 10:28 PM, ninjaisfast said:

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 7:41 AM, Elkram said:

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 8:39 AM, ninjaisfast said:

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 0:04 PM, Elkram said:

@panarchist I appreciate your assistance, but you and I disagree as to whether this constitutes an "update."  It's a community hotfix with known and unrefuted issues and an active mod developer who has repeatedly reported that they're working on an actual update.  @Elkram refers to Dangit having been "updated," with no indication of what they meant with that reference.  Like I said in the post you yourself quoted of me, I've been checking this thread and CKAN each several times daily, which is why I was surprised.

53 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

@panarchist I appreciate your assistance, but you and I disagree as to whether this constitutes an "update."  It's a community hotfix with known and unrefuted issues and an active mod developer who has repeatedly reported that they're working on an actual update.  @Elkram refers to Dangit having been "updated," with no indication of what they meant with that reference.  Like I said in the post you yourself quoted of me, I've been checking this thread and CKAN each several times daily, which is why I was surprised.

Since I'm not a mod developer I may have used the wrong words in here. Now that you mention the concept of community fix I unsderstand that is what truly is, just a hotfix to make it work on 1.1.2. wich Marian90 did and then I added the basic stuff I thought it should have. Truth is the mod looks abandoned and mod fans do this kind of stuff to use a mod they like.

I did not want to confuse people and did not want to make it look like I did any coding. Marian90 did a hotfix to make it work on 1.1.2 and I did a zip file with a resource.cfg and the toolbox part wich is awesome and cool, and thats all we did.

Truth is, it's not a true official release becouse none of both are mod developers, is just a hotfix, if anyone is still interested I have it still posted up here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvb0ie68cg9kwj8/DangIt-toolbox.zip?dl=0

Of course if it gets Oficially updated I'll remove it becouse there will be no need for it anymore.

9 hours ago, Andem said:

Update, Entropy does not work. :(

Thanks for checking for us though :)

1 hour ago, MisterFister said:

Yeah, I see it as a community hotfix as well. If coffeeman gets around to it, he could implement some of those fixes in to an official release, so hopefully these community fixes benefit everyone. If you can manually install this (I've never used CKAN so no clue if it would be incompatible with it), and are playing KSP but are waiting on Dangit to start a career, then I would recommended installing the hotfix and seeing how it goes in sandbox. I'll be starting my career in about 2 weeks once I'm on holidays, so will update here with how things go in the long term.

6 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

If you can manually install this (I've never used CKAN so no clue if it would be incompatible with it), ...

There are two user limitations (in my view, very significant limitations) to using CKAN.  First, and I think more important, is that CKAN has its own set of issues as a mod in its own right, and a lot of CKAN users don't realize this distinction.  This results in a lot of CKAN users bringing CKAN-issues to the attention of other mods' developers, to varyingly unproductive effect.  Go thumbing through the CKAN forum thread (I will intentionally refuse to link it here on the principle of not wanting to fan any flames, but there are several ongoing disputes with certain multiple mod authors that are not entirely resolved, and embers from the fire can still re-flare if instigated) and you'll see some very heated exchanges at certain points in the last year or so.  Indeed, some mod forum threads specifically say right in the OP words to the effect of:

"I make [suchandsuch-mod] and I don't have anything to do with CKAN, please don't bring CKAN metadata issues to my attention because I'll ignore your post and will literally pretend like I couldn't see it / please verify with screenshots or a video that you can produce your issue with my mod on an actual manual non-CKAN install or else I will not provide tech support."

The user limitation, then, is the distinct honor-system responsibility to bear in mind that any issues relating to how any mod interacts with CKAN is not the mod's issue and is not properly brought to the mod-author's attention, despite the fact that you'll sometimes be directly told otherwise by well-meaning participants within the CKAN thread if you report the issue there.

The second limitation that comes from using CKAN is the sheer fact that mixing CKAN-installed and manual-installed mods on the same copy of KSP (CKAN can track and individually manage multiple KSP installs on your hard drive, so setting one or more KSP copies aside for manual-mod testing is entirely fine.)  With LOTS of modding and CKAN testing and troubleshooting under my own belt, personally, I can report with absolute one hundred point zero percent certainty that you can manage an install with a small handful of CKAN-managed mods (perhaps 1-5 of them) on an otherwise mostly-manual install, and you can likewise manage a mostly-CKAN install with a similarly small number of individual manual-install mods without significant chance of an issue -- but oh boy, when those insignificant chances of an issue actually turn into issues, they're doozies.  Chances of issues increase exponentially as you bring the minor-category of mods in the same install closer to parity with your major-category (CKAN vs manual).

My own unique context for the above: I am currently hovering somewhere around 270 mods.  Yes, two hundred seventy mods currently installed that are significant candidates for my eventual playthrough.  I am also a secondary contributor to the CKAN project itself, as I'm already halfway into a personal research project on mod interactivity and troubleshooting for my own purposes that, with only one extra column on the spreadsheet I use to track my results, can be very useful to the CKAN project coordinators anyway.  I estimate that my research will involve testing a further-additional two hundred mods or so, and that my eventual playthrough (which is what my research project began as) will likely end up with around three hundred fifty or so in total.

So while you're very correct to validly suggest that I consider adding any one mod here or there manually on a "for now" basis, I will respond by saying that there are two very specific circumstances specific to my own unique situation that render that option entirely inadvisable.

21 hours ago, Andem said:

Hmm, @Marian90, did you change any of the code withing the individual failure modules? If you did, Entropy probably won't work, but from what I know Entropy required the Dangit.dll to work. If that's ally you didn't, it might still work.

I did only minor changes to the code to make it build (you can check the commits on github). Of course it is not a proper release, as some parts of code I have just commented out (minor changes, should not affect gameplay, e.g. dangit timestamp is wrong in flight log [F3]). In my opinion it should not affect Entropy, but probably Entropy also has to be rebuild for new KSP to work.

Currently I have a lot of work and have no time neither to make the fix in more clean way, nor to take a look at Entropy.

Also thanks everybody for testing this :wink:

20 hours ago, MisterFister said:

That's kind of presumptuous - I never stated whether I considered it to be an update, I was merely pointing out what the previous poster was alluding to.  Many in these forums use a pretty loose interpretation of the word "update", and the context of your post didn't clearly indicate that you were looking for an official update of the current maintainer of the mod rather than simply a way to use the mod with 1.1.2.

Looking forward to an official update whenever Coffeeman releases it.

Edited by panarchist

There's a bug with the StructuralFuselage spamming errors in the log while in the VAB if its added to your ship. It's due to the mod adding Spare Parts to it.
It's an easy fix. If you go to "GameData\DangIt\ModuleManager\" and edit the "SpareParts.cfg" file to remove:

@PART[Mk1FuselageStructural]:FOR[DangIt]
{
    @cost += 9450
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = SpareParts
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 150
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSparesContainer
    }
}

Looking forward to an official update/feature add to this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.