[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Ippo

Awesome, thank you kindly.

Any news on the part-glow bug? I spent a frustrating time last night trying to find WHICH of the tanks on a big ship was the broken one. By the time I found it, it was empty. :D

Valerian suggested me that it might be due to FAR, specifically to the aero-force tinting that came in the latest releases. Are you also running FAR, perhaps? I am kinda full + demotivated these days for a lot of stuff, I'll see if I can figure out something but before that I should hurry and fix the negative costs bug.*

* Which is actually just a matter of setting the default amount of spares to be equal to the max amount, if anyone wants to fix it for himself before I get around to a new release.

Ion engines having the same 1 hour lifetime as the other chemical/nuclear engines seems a bit low, considering one ion engine takes 24 minutes to burn through a single PB-X150 xenon container and is used for probes.

Implemented in the upcoming update :) MTBF = 17520 (two years), LifeTime = 20 (hours). Sounds good?

However, I'm having issues with parts using ModuleEnginesFX. Not all, but most. Engines keep running their visual effects and sounds after a failure. No big deal, but it was pretty confusing the first time it happened (see previously mentioned KSO flight).

Could not reproduce: what engines, from what mod, on what platform, log?

Alpha 4.4 is out!

Fixes the negative cost of parts containing Spare Parts. Unfortunately, I had to rollback to making Spare Parts full again. I have yet to figure out exactly how KSP computes the cost of a part, so that I can leave them partially empty without causing negative costs, but so far, no luck :/

Re-adds the 1 spare per click mechanic. Not yet configurable at the moment, sorry, but I had to kinda rush it because of the costs issue.

Resolves compatibility issue with mods that add resources to asteroids.

Increases the reliability of ion engines to balance them against LFO engines, as suggested :)

P.S: yes, the glow is being disabled by far. I'm working on that issue at this very moment, but it's in FAR, not DangIt.

P.P.S: I think I have a fix for the part highlight issue, I sent a pull request to ferram :)

P.P.P.S: unfortunately, I had missed Sandworm's post earlier. He actually managed to get the partially full containers config working, unlike me, but I didn't notice until he pm'd me after the release :/ I encourage everyone to grab that file, it will be in the next release by default :) Thanks Sandworm!

Edited by Ippo

Don't know if it's been discussed, but it seems like this would kill your funds in Career mode. Can you integrate it so that some broken parts generate a contract for repair?

not planned at the moment, although it is not completely out of the question :)

A repair contract might be nice, but it's not that necessary, as far as I can tell. On my current hard mode career I've put 4 stations and a ton of probes around various planets and absolutely nothing has broken yet. Had to do maintenance on a few nuclear engines, but that's about it. Rolling around with 2+ million kesos at all times.

The only actual broken part I've had was in a sandbox mode launch on a monopropellant tank 20 seconds after liftoff, so you might be getting unlucky.

I'm sorry, I think I'll need to improve the OP to make it more clear, but at this time, ships on rail are absolutely safe. KSP just doesn't provide me with any mechanism to act on them: I have some ideas for a workaround, but at this time, unless you are flying a ship nothing can happen to it.

Yeah, I didn't think they were affected while on rails. Having to take care of every single ship you launched every couple of months manually might become annoying, though.

If you do implement them, maybe have manned vessels automatically use their spare parts for maintenance whenever it's necessary while you're not paying attention to them, with some pop-up message when they start running low on spare parts?

Some way of checking the status of unmanned ships while not focused on them (but with some randomness, so you don't always know for certain when something's about to break) might be nice, too.

Not sure how/if those would work. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work, by the way. I'm enjoying the mod.

I wasn't all that interested in something that randomly damaged your rockets before, but after I tried it it pretty much changed the way I was building rockets. I'm a lot more cautious when launching now and I finally have a use for that stock launch escape system, in case my rocket decides to do its best Proton-M impression.

I have noticed 'failure storms' when the ship I'm piloting gets close enough to an older ship to bring it off the rails. For instance, the other night I had a probe which had been sitting on the Mun for a Long Time with some delicious, delicious science on board. I flew Jeb up to grab the science from the probe and the moment I got close enough to the probe for it to fully load, parts immediately failed on it. I put a sticky note on my monitor which reads 'stay away from comm satellites!' :D

Edited by Noio

Yeah, I didn't think they were affected while on rails. Having to take care of every single ship you launched every couple of months manually might become annoying, though.

Yeah, that's why I am postponing it until the very end, so that I can have a clear picture of how it's going to work, how people expect it to work, and so on. Not to mention that I need to find an effective way to implement it without having to resort to black magic code... I am thinking that I could abuse the on rails converters from TAC for this task though. I'll see about that, in the meantime the near future is already planned :)

I have noticed 'failure storms' when the ship I'm piloting gets close enough to an older ship to bring it off the rails. For instance, the other night I had a probe which had been sitting on the Mun for a Long Time with some delicious, delicious science on board. I flew Jeb up to grab the science from the probe and the moment I got close enough to the probe for it to fully load, parts immediately failed on it. I put a sticky note on my monitor which reads 'stay away from comm satellites!' :D

Eh, this is a bad side effect of things not being able to fail on rails: but yes, by all means, avoid comm sats :P

Love the mod as I played with a previous version in a previous game, but having an problem with a new game and the latest version (0.4.4.1). Not sure whether to classify it as a bug or a feature.

My first orbit mission in new career mode game. Orbital Ship was basic: pod, goo canister, chute, LV909, simple FLT-400 tank. Got to orbit with no problems and saved the game. Came back later and resumed saved game. Went to tracking station and switched to orbiting ship.

The following happened in the first 0.5 seconds after the switch:

1. Screen gets drawn. Ship has red tank.

2. Ship spins like crazy (4 revolutions per second or so).

3. Ship pulls itself apart, pieces flying everywhere.

No chance to repair or deal with a failure, just instant destruction. Might it be possible the force due to a leak is a bit extreme?

Also, out of curiosity (thinking RNG bad luck) I have reloaded the saved game several times, and even used time acceleration at the launch center a bit to "jumble up the randomness" if it's based on the clock as a seed. Doesn't matter, ship instant-destructs when I switch back to it the same way. It seems the randomness isn't as random as expected, Bringing to mind the following question. Is the mod set up so that the RNG determining when/if failure happens is determined ahead of time, and stored waiting until the clock gets to that point? Doesn't seem that would be the way it would be done, but the "reloading from saved game produces same 'random' result" seems strange.

[...]

No chance to repair or deal with a failure, just instant destruction. Might it be possible the force due to a leak is a bit extreme?

Also, out of curiosity (thinking RNG bad luck) I have reloaded the saved game several times, and even used time acceleration at the launch center a bit to "jumble up the randomness" if it's based on the clock as a seed. Doesn't matter, ship instant-destructs when I switch back to it the same way. It seems the randomness isn't as random as expected, Bringing to mind the following question. Is the mod set up so that the RNG determining when/if failure happens is determined ahead of time, and stored waiting until the clock gets to that point? Doesn't seem that would be the way it would be done, but the "reloading from saved game produces same 'random' result" seems strange.

This is very strange: no, there is no seed (well, of course there is, but you know what I mean), I just use the Unity random generator. I'm also pretty sure it's not the force due to the leak since it's not implemented yet :)

I will need to see your log. Are you on win64 by chance? All the weirdest problems have happened on that platform.

This is very strange: no, there is no seed (well, of course there is, but you know what I mean), I just use the Unity random generator. I'm also pretty sure it's not the force due to the leak since it's not implemented yet :)

I will need to see your log. Are you on win64 by chance? All the weirdest problems have happened on that platform.

Ah, my mistake then. I saw a post where you mentioned adding that, and thought you had in the latest download. Might not be this mod then. Additional info:

1. 32-bit Windows, with other mods on ship (RealChute, TAC LS, Deadly Reentry, but no major parts mods like KW or B9 installed in game).

2. Looking at the messages tab before switching to the ship, it does look like a fuel leak was reported, so it must have happened just before switching sway from the ship. So the randomness part of this is answered.

3. Here is the log file from just after the ship spun itself apart, sending the capsule on a very fast out-of-SOI trajectory. Interestingly, the ship is stationary for a very short bit before it starts spinning (it doesn't spin from the very start). At this point I'm thinking it's not your mod, but if your eyes see something wrong...(log file sent to your outlook email address). Thanks for the quick response.

Hey, could you make a part that would repair the thing in front of it if it has spare parts on the ship, because i was thinking how would you repair stuff with unmanned probes, so if this part was in the mod, then you could have a detachable probe that you just RCS to the broken part and repair it, i dunno what kind of drawback you'd want to add to this, but by the sounds of this mod, an unmanned probe would be nearly impossible, and be a bigger problem for people using life support mods.

Hey, could you make a part that would repair the thing in front of it if it has spare parts on the ship, because i was thinking how would you repair stuff with unmanned probes, so if this part was in the mod, then you could have a detachable probe that you just RCS to the broken part and repair it, i dunno what kind of drawback you'd want to add to this, but by the sounds of this mod, an unmanned probe would be nearly impossible, and be a bigger problem for people using life support mods.

A repair drone you say? What happens if that breaks? :P

Thanks, I just replied. I didn't see anything suspicious, everything looks fine with my mod: however, see my email, I have a theory but I need to check the save file too to verify it.

I've done further reading and saw mention that sometimes parts clipping inside each other can produce phantom forces, causing wild spins. I'm betting that is the problem (because of a design thing I did with batteries inside a modular girder segment and a goo canister mounted outside the girder segment) and it is nothing to do with the DangIt! mod. It's just the leak and the spinning happened at the same time and led me to the wrong conclusion. Thanks for the timely response.

Edit: Nope, not that either. Problem ended up being that the save file had SAS turned on, so reloading seemed to cause all sorts of torque. Turning it off in the save file fixed the problem. DangIt! is performing flawlessly.

Edited by radinator

A repair drone you say? What happens if that breaks? :P

well have another repair drone to repair that one:wink:

but yeah adding a repair drone with high breaking possibility would balance it out a little, or maybe instead make it so once it break you can't repair it or it'll explode if it breaks

Hey, could you make a part

Nope, not at all :)

besides, I just don't like the idea of repair drones personally, they are a little too much sci-fi for my tastes. I do accept pull requests and forks, however: starting with the next release I'll be using the MIT license :)

P.S: and in the future I'm gonna make an API so that you can make extensions without even have to put a hard reference.

Edited by Ippo

Waiting for this mod to be updated a little bit then defiantly installing! :cool:

You can follow the development here, if you are curious. I'll be working on other stuff first though, so the next update is not going to be ready soon...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.