Ippo

[1.0.5 - Alpha 6] Dang It! (12 september 2015)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rough93 said:

any word on 1.1 compatibility?

I'm gonna be frank: CoffeeMan will update the mod whenever the hell he wants. pestering him to do so will not do anything to change that process. Please stop cluttering threads in a mire of 1.1 update posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thanks for your input, allow me to add my own.

I really like Dangit, it's a fantastic mod that adds awesome feature into the game. 

I'm excited for the 1.1 release, and I hope that everyone gets as much out of the new features as they can, including mods. 

That being said, I completely understand that modders are under no obligation to create or maintain mods, and their decision on whether to keep them up to date is completely their own. This is why I did not phrase my original post as "When will you update this" or "Still waiting for 1.1 compatibility". I simply posed the question on whether Dangit works or if anyone has tried to fork it on Github and make changes to adjust it. I appreciate modders as much as the next player, so please don't criticize me for asking a simple close-ended question for a mod I and many others enjoy. 

Take your time, CoffeeMan, if you choose to update the mod, great, if not, that's fine aswell

I in no way mean to be harsh or mean with that, I just wanted to defend my OP, and I in no way intent to pester him nor anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im looking to really mod up my next play through. Make it a lot more challenging than stock. Things like remotetech, USI LS engineering tech tree, etc. 

this mod sounds awesome. 

Any advice for starting out with this mod?  What's the frequency of failures like, is it adjustable? 

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mtpatane said:

Im looking to really mod up my next play through. Make it a lot more challenging than stock. Things like remotetech, USI LS engineering tech tree, etc. 

this mod sounds awesome. 

Any advice for starting out with this mod?  What's the frequency of failures like, is it adjustable? 

 

Thanks!

It's very hard to put a definitive  quantity on failure rates; I've not found a way to adjust the failure rate, but little failures happen often enough to warrant thinking about the possibility, but not often enough to rage quit. To me, this strikes an ideal balance, but others have complained about near constant failures whilst others complain about the mod doing very little. It's random and a balance; for me it's just right. I've only once had a main engine fail on liftoff (inducing a 50% drop in thrust and an unrecoverable yaw rate, hoo boy was that one fun!) - in short, this mod is great fun and ideal for making things more challenging

Edited by BLUESTREAK
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BLUESTREAK said:

It's very hard to put a definitive  quantity on failure rates; I've not found a way to adjust the failure rate, but little failures happen often enough to warrant thinking about the possibility, but not often enough to rage quit. To me, this strikes an ideal balance, but others have complained about near constant failures whilst others complain about the mod doing very little. It's random and a balance; for me it's just right. I've only once had a main engine fail on liftoff (inducing a 50% drop in thrust and an unrecoverable yaw rate, hoo boy was that one fun!) - in short, this mod is great fun and ideal for making things more challenging

Yeah I keep thinking constantly about this mod. I think soon I'm gonna add it to my personal mod setup.

But then I realize that losing a $500k rocket completely having like $1.5m in my wallet is definitely not good, haha. Add some random player errors to this (bad design or extra degree of yaw that turned the whole thing upside down).. and some alcohol-dependant ones... And you get a completely screwed savegame. Lol yeah that adds some depth to gameplay as well.

Im playing a decent hardcore setup that includes: KCT, DRE, FAR, TACLS, RT so often my wallet is thin enough. Also I'm getting extra crew mostly from rescue missions from LKO. And I need many kerbanauts coz I'm also running UKS with at least one orbital station and a ground base.


What stops me from instantly downloading DangIt! is some reports that something can fail and _can not_ be repaired (like when all engines keep failing constantly). Plus as far as I understood this mod could prevent one from building a completely reusable ship as its lifespan will exceed limits.

Edited by atomontage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BLUESTREAK said:

It's very hard to put a definitive  quantity on failure rates; I've not found a way to adjust the failure rate, but little failures happen often enough to warrant thinking about the possibility, but not often enough to rage quit. To me, this strikes an ideal balance, but others have complained about near constant failures whilst others complain about the mod doing very little. It's random and a balance; for me it's just right. I've only once had a main engine fail on liftoff (inducing a 50% drop in thrust and an unrecoverable yaw rate, hoo boy was that one fun!) - in short, this mod is great fun and ideal for making things more challenging

Fixing batteries or lightbulbs on orbital stations is fun too. I got a lot of that.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, 

since I was working professionally for quite some years with C# (now switched to Java :( )and I cannot enjoy KSP without this mod I took the freedom to adapt this mod to KSP 1.1. I'll submit a pull request with my changes to Ippo34 in parallel, but if anyone wants a working inofficial copy you can contact me via PN here. I left the version number as it is to not create a conflict when the final version arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, UsualSuspect said:

Hi guys, 

since I was working professionally for quite some years with C# (now switched to Java :( )and I cannot enjoy KSP without this mod I took the freedom to adapt this mod to KSP 1.1. I'll submit a pull request with my changes to Ippo34 in parallel, but if anyone wants a working inofficial copy you can contact me via PN here. I left the version number as it is to not create a conflict when the final version arrives.

Hi! Ippo is no longer working on this, but @Coffeeman is maintaining it along with entropy. PM him about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Andem said:

Hi! Ippo is no longer working on this, but @Coffeeman is maintaining it along with entropy. PM him about it!

Hey guys! Just chimin' in to say that while it's true I am not maintaining this mod anymore, I would definitely like to review a pull request to update the mod :)

There is also a very slim chance that I might just update it myself, but it's very slim so don't count on it (I am trying to balance way too many things right now).

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UsualSuspect said:

Hi guys, 

since I was working professionally for quite some years with C# (now switched to Java :( )and I cannot enjoy KSP without this mod I took the freedom to adapt this mod to KSP 1.1. I'll submit a pull request with my changes to Ippo34 in parallel, but if anyone wants a working inofficial copy you can contact me via PN here. I left the version number as it is to not create a conflict when the final version arrives.

Thats awesome!

 

Id be happy to merge that PR and do the requisite CKAN stuff. Its awesome to see people interested :)

 

Im sorry its gone so long without an update, I havent had any time to look into that recently, and have been leaving my curator responsibilities behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me as somebody totally interested.  Both Entropy and Dang it are perfect for a mission planner/ship designer focused player like myself.  Longtime fan here.  I love me some Apollo 13ish craziness.  And both these mods have given me some of the most interesting games and force me to design spacecraft with redundancy in mind (and Entropy finally makes me install a launch escape system!  you never know :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance we are going to get more of the features of Entropy in this? I have noticed that the Entropy mod doesn't work anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2016 at 4:02 PM, JediRangerkendor said:

Any chance we are going to get more of the features of Entropy in this? I have noticed that the Entropy mod doesn't work anymore. 

Entropy would be nice but I'll take Dang it as well :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the last of the mods I'm waiting on.

Out of curiosity, if I start my new career game now, and add this once it's released, will it break the save?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 10:24 PM, mtpatane said:

Im looking to really mod up my next play through. Make it a lot more challenging than stock. Things like remotetech, USI LS engineering tech tree, etc. 

this mod sounds awesome. 

Any advice for starting out with this mod?  What's the frequency of failures like, is it adjustable? 

 

Thanks!

 

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 4:46 AM, atomontage said:

Yeah I keep thinking constantly about this mod. I think soon I'm gonna add it to my personal mod setup.

But then I realize that losing a $500k rocket completely having like $1.5m in my wallet is definitely not good, haha. Add some random player errors to this (bad design or extra degree of yaw that turned the whole thing upside down).. and some alcohol-dependant ones... And you get a completely screwed savegame. Lol yeah that adds some depth to gameplay as well.

Im playing a decent hardcore setup that includes: KCT, DRE, FAR, TACLS, RT so often my wallet is thin enough. Also I'm getting extra crew mostly from rescue missions from LKO. And I need many kerbanauts coz I'm also running UKS with at least one orbital station and a ground base.


What stops me from instantly downloading DangIt! is some reports that something can fail and _can not_ be repaired (like when all engines keep failing constantly). Plus as far as I understood this mod could prevent one from building a completely reusable ship as its lifespan will exceed limits.

To both the above -- my experience with this mod, and from what I've seen on YouTube, is that this mod plugin only activates on simulated vessels -- it goes dark when a vessel is "on rails."  In other words, satellites you place in orbit and forget about (such as RemoteTech) will have a very low failure rate, but vessels you spend a lot of time babysitting such as mining rigs, will have higher failure rates, because of how long you're letting the plugin run on a per-vessel basis.  If the vessel is physics-loaded within the physics radius (~2.2km spherical in 32-bit, perhaps 10km spherical or more in 64-bit, though both of those settings are configurable with the pre-game main menu options sliders) then the plugin runs for that vessel as well, such as during orbital rendezvous and docking efforts.

That means that if you spend a lot of time staring at a craft as it transits to another planet intended to land and return before launching another from KSC, then you're doomed to much hardship.  If you run KAC and prefer to keep multiple missions running simultaneously, then this is the mod for you, especially if you're willing to rethink some of your vehicle design habits in unexpected ways to really balance launch cost versus mission redundancy.  Very few failures from this mod are automatically mission-critical, such as a launch-stage engine failure during initial ascent.  Otherwise, with planning and proper forethought as to how different missions can each serve as mutual backups / rescues, you should be ok.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 1:17 AM, Kethevin said:

This is the last of the mods I'm waiting on.

Out of curiosity, if I start my new career game now, and add this once it's released, will it break the save?

I'd imagine that you wouldn't have an issue as to the game crashing on you, but once you load this mod, failures will begin to occur on your vessels in-flight, and only the ones you designed with component redundancy (or those with command pods that have "spare parts" resource available) will continue to be viable post-failure.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 4:52 PM, Ippo said:

Hey guys! Just chimin' in to say that while it's true I am not maintaining this mod anymore, I would definitely like to review a pull request to update the mod :)

There is also a very slim chance that I might just update it myself, but it's very slim so don't count on it (I am trying to balance way too many things right now).

Cheers!

 

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 5:04 PM, Coffeeman said:

Thats awesome!

 

Id be happy to merge that PR and do the requisite CKAN stuff. Its awesome to see people interested :)

 

Im sorry its gone so long without an update, I havent had any time to look into that recently, and have been leaving my curator responsibilities behind.

I share @rough93's sentiment when I say that both of your mods are truly wonderful, and I really do hope to be able to play KSP with them again at some point.  It's one of the ones I silently "hope" for when I click futilely spam "refresh" on CKAN.  (A compliment and nothing more.)

Edited by MisterFister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

One follow up thought -- if @Coffeeman is maintaining this mod, would a new thread be in the works?

Perhaps that would be wise for the update, whenever it emerges from the depths of Coffeemans computer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2016 at 7:17 AM, Kethevin said:

This is the last of the mods I'm waiting on.

 

Same here this mod is so cool is one of my must haves. I'd update it to 1.1.2 myself if I had the skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have rebuilded the mod with 1.1.2 KSP, but didn't had time yet to check if it works.

If anyone want to test it, there is my fork on github: https://github.com/mzoworka/DangIt and in releases there is also a binary.

I have no experiance in making mods (KSP or unity at all), so I have just fixed the build as I could - no idea if it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marian90 said:

I have rebuilded the mod with 1.1.2 KSP, but didn't had time yet to check if it works.

If anyone want to test it, there is my fork on github: https://github.com/mzoworka/DangIt and in releases there is also a binary.

I have no experiance in making mods (KSP or unity at all), so I have just fixed the build as I could - no idea if it works.

Testing it now, I just wanted to let you know that the downloads file structure is broken, the internal folders were "spewed" everywhere.

--EDIT--

Oh, and I'm getting outdated error warnings telling me that 64bit KSP is not a supported version of the game.

Edited by Andem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Andem said:

Testing it now, I just wanted to let you know that the downloads file structure is broken, the internal folders were "spewed" everywhere.

--EDIT--

Oh, and I'm getting outdated error warnings telling me that 64bit KSP is not a supported version of the game.

Those should be fixed in new release (0.7.2) (I understand that you are referring to the outdated mod warning during startup).

Also now .zip is made that it includes DangIt directory, not only the content.

I have done quick test myself, and it seems that it works (at least in x86 version of KSP)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Marian90 said:

I have done quick test myself, and it seems that it works (at least in x86 version of KSP)

Not sure if this is a bug or not with your release, but I can't seem to verify if dangit is working. I can't cause manual failures by enabling them from the menu and then right clicking on parts in flight. Unsure if this is me not realising how to cause failures...happens in both 32bit and 64bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

Not sure if this is a bug or not with your release, but I can't seem to verify if dangit is working. I can't cause manual failures by enabling them from the menu and then right clicking on parts in flight. Unsure if this is me not realising how to cause failures...happens in both 32bit and 64bit.

It's been a while since I've run this mod, but I'm not sure that failures can be manually "triggered" on command.  That said, I do know that focusing on a craft in orbit and timewarping will eventually cause multiple inevitable failures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.