[HorribleOversightInGameDesign] ALL MY STUFF IS GONE.

So I was setting up a laythe mission, and I had unlocked most of the tech tree. Tedious landings on the Mun, Minmus, and collecting as much science as I could there. So my Laythe Splasher crashed, and I quickloaded.

I was suddenly back in Kerbin orbit, with only basicRocketry and Start parts. Oh no. This was my first orbital mission. I had lost ALL of the science, tech, and parts that I had unlocked over several weeks of playing.

I tried quickloading again, but to no avail. I realized all of my stuff was truly gone. I literally broke down in tears and cried.

THIS IS VITAL AND MUST BE INCLUDED IN AN UPDATE VERY SOON.

Delete the default quicksave as soon as that craft is recovered or a new launch is attempted. This will prevent this horrible deletion of almost 100 hours work.

The quicksave / quickload feature used to get overwritten every time a new craft was launched, however this was changed to the current system some time ago.

For your problem, while not the same you could edit the save file to bring yourself back to the same amount of science you had before, then possibly edit any ships into their orbits again

Some option to enable automatic quicksave every x minutes would be fine in the game. Where as x could be configurable to be 5 10 or 15 minutes.

It would'nt hurt the game for sure.

there are 4 problems with this:

1: I don't know how much science was needed to...

2: unlock node that I'm not sure which I had/

3: I don't know the orbital parameters of any ships I had in orbit

4: It's overlooking the broader problem.

This has happened to me in the past many times, but now it's happened in Career mode, and I realize how serious this bug is.

Hmmmm.... I like being able to go back to a quicksave a few flights ago... Or even just before a test, so I wouldn't want this feature.

Also, don't quickload when you know you don't have a quicksave nearby?

Some option to enable automatic quicksave every x minutes would be fine in the game. Where as x could be configurable to be 5 10 or 15 minutes.

It would'nt hurt the game for sure.

*cough* Autosaving is already implemented *cough*

Hmmmm.... I like being able to go back to a quicksave a few flights ago... Or even just before a test, so I wouldn't want this feature.

Also, don't quickload when you know you don't have a quicksave nearby?

*cough* Autosaving is already implemented *cough*

Then i do not understand the OP's problem, reload your autosave then....

I think the problem is more in that you made some assumptions on how quickload works and only found out now that your assumptions were wrong.

You're not the first to lose progress because of quickload and I definitely agree that the game should either tell you in advance what you're about to quickload (e.g. how old the saved state is) or allow you to revert to the pre-quickload state. But even the current system is not exactly bad, especially if you get used to actually quicksaving in key moments.

This has happened to me in the past many times, but now it's happened in Career mode, and I realize how serious this bug is.

A, if it's happened to you before, what did you think would happen now? B, this isn't a bug, it's PEBKAC error.

Not a lot of help now, but next time you quickload, quicksave first. If you have Kerbal Alarm Clock installed (and the option enabled), you can back up your persistent from the time of the last 'Jump To Ship'. Using Alt-F9, select it to load it.

If not, then well, you're screwed. And not by the game, by you forgetting to quicksave before doing something significant.

I agree that having a quicksave that is 100s of hours old is a little odd, but that's why the game autosaves every few minutes. You might be able to recover it if it hasn't already autosaved, but you quickloading AGAIN and going to the R&D centre and everything has likely overwritten it. Next time it happens, pause right away and hard-exit the game with Alt-F4. Autosave won't have time to overwrite the persistent.sfs.

EDIT:

That won't work. As I said above, it's likely that's been already overwritten.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

AFAIK, once you've loaded your quicksave, you can't then go back forwards (or forth backwards? :D) to an auto save in the future... It will take you to the last one before your quicksave.

Honestly I don't really understand the ops problem either... Is it that they havn't quicksaved since their first flight, and when they quickloaded it took them there? Or is it that they have quicksaved since, just the game has skipped them and taken them back to the first quicksave. If its the former, that isn't a bug, they just haven't quicksaved enough; if its the latter I have never even heard of that bug, let alone suffered it... :S

Autosave writes to your persistence file. The quicksave is basically a copy of that file at a point in time you specify.

Autosaves occur every so often, and also, I think, on certain events (for example, scene transitions at KSC). So if you load a quicksave and then immediately go to the space centre, the game will autosave and now the autosave and the quicksave will essentially be in synch. So unfortunately autosave can't help here. Long story short: OP is, unfortunately, boned. :(

And I've done this too. It is easy to forget that you haven't quicksaved recently, especially if you're often doing testing of weird designs, in which case you habitually quicksave to see different effects. Then you go do a real mission where you don't quicksave so often, mess something up and quickload by habit, and pow... progress goneski. Very sadski.

Edited by allmhuran

only use the alt+quicksave/load then?

This is a good idea, though to be honest, I'd like a timestamp of the saves in the alt-F9 popup, preferably both real world and in game timestamp.

So wait.

You quickload after having NEVER quicksaved before. And blame the game?

Damn, it really is never your fault is it?

People forget things. For instance, many people forget parachutes.

As for the OP's question, I'm sure you can take the save file and manually edit it.

People forget things. For instance, many people forget parachutes.

As for the OP's question, I'm sure you can take the save file and manually edit it.

True. I DEMAND A FEATURE THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM LAUNCHING WITHOUT PARACHUTES!

I caught a tremendous amount of flak on the Steam forums when I first raised this issue. The fact is, someone comes along complaining every so often about how they lost game progress because of a failure to correctly navigate the quicksave and quickload features of the game. Squad and the developers of this game are incredibly smart. I would think they are also smart enough to code in another failsafe of some kind to stop this from happening. It's really a small thing to do that could prevent alot of heartache for that new player that comes along every few weeks and has a problem like the OP's. I feel like the player should be asked if he/she is happy with the current gamestate before overwriting any autosaves. I think that is the single biggest thing causing this problem. The player panics, hits the F9 key, and the autosave feature overwrites the persistent.sfs on load, effectively destroying everything.

Honestly how much do have to save someone from their own stupidity? Learn from your mistakes, move on. If you can't remember the point at which you quick saved, why quick load? It's convenient, as I said, learn from it and move on.

I agree that the way KSP handles saves is abysmal. The game should NEVER overwrite a save if you don't explicitly tell it to, and you should be able to manually load from autosave- any of them.