Devnote Tuesdays: The Yadda Yadda Yadda Edition

SQUAD

Jesus (Chuchito): working with unity to get the KSPM more to the reality, having fun with unity and its limitations.

This... Could this be considered as the first real steps ?

So we have "a small fun surprise" coming from the art and marketing teams, as well as "a big contest" with sponsored prizes from Rowsdower coming up. Interesting!

I hope one of them involves rockets. Come to think of it, Rowsdower, you guys should totally make a contest and/or community activity involving IRL hobby rocketry. After all, that's how the idea of KSP was born, wasn't it? :)

OLD MODS

Are there sill hosted on curse?

If someone uploads them.

If the license allows it, you may be able to do that yourself for discontinued mods / AWOL authors, assuming you have the files. I did this for RLA Stockalike, for example, precisely because I knew well ahead of time that the downloads would no longer work the day Spaceport goes down.

I'm going to hound the crap out of the rest of the guys to see what's up, regardless. Can't say how much success I'll have because yes they are just that busy, but I'll do what I can.

Have you tried torches and pitchforks? Ive had good luck with them in the past.

Aww ... I was hoping for some actual substance-of-an-update with the .24 progress today. It's been 7 months since we've seen any changes for Career Mode and I'm really itching for something new. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the ARM update, but the number of updates has slowed to a near-halt compared to previous years :(

After reading the thread and doing some googling... probably some of you understood "rigging a rope" under very different circumstances :P

I was talking about this http://youtu.be/fgsuCQk6ito if you have any suggestions, they are more than welcome. I'm currently doing some research of ncloth dynamics and such :)

Darn, YouTube is blocked on my comp! Is it EVA tethers?

Darn, YouTube is blocked on my comp! Is it EVA tethers?

The rope is probably for one of those release video shorts and not a part for the game. If there was going to be an EVA tether then it will be one of the coders mentioning it.

Felipe (HarvesteR): You know you’re having a busy day when you can’t spare the time to write dev notes before the blog is posted… Anyhow, it’s been a lot of work indeed, but there’s been a lot of progress done as well. As I said last week, we have the basics of the budgets mechanic implemented, and we’re going through a massive (and I mean massive) list of details and polish items to implement, to get the Contracts system up to the same level of quality as the rest of the game. This week I’ve mostly been working on setting up a new type of Contract, which I believe will be the most common contract you’ll encounter, which means it’s got to be something interesting. More specifically, I’m adding a “Test Flight†contract template, which will generate contracts to test parts in different situations, places and conditions.

This is one of the most complicated to add contracts, because not only it depends on which places you’ve been, it also depends on which parts you have researched, and where/how each part is used. It wouldn’t make sense to be asked to test parachutes in orbit, or wheels while splashed down… plus, not all parts make for interesting test subjects (not much fun in testing an inanimate piece of paneling), so we’re adding this in the most customizable way possible, so you get offered to test parts in ways that make sense. Not only that, you also get to test parts which you haven’t researched yet, which means we had to add a system to support these ‘experimental’ parts. The main difference when testing an experimental part is that you’ll get a limited amount of them. If you destroy them before completing the test, you will fail. In cases like SRBs, which are one-shot only, performing the test outside the target conditions won’t mean instant failure, but be prepared to recover that one-off prototype intact.

Speaking of recovery, there’s been a lot of progress done there as well. The “Science Summary†dialog is being overhauled into a complete “Mission Summaryâ€Â, which will show not only the recovered experiment data from a mission, but also the parts you recovered (and how much funds you got back from them), as well as crews. For experimental ‘prototype’ parts, recovery also re-stocks them so you get to launch them again, in case the contract is still incomplete.

All this is for one type of contract only, so you can readily see just how enormous a task we’re facing here. Apart from this, we’ve gone over a lot of the UIs, overhauled them, improved pretty much every panel (no more Arial fonts where Calibri should have been used. Typography enthusiasts rejoice!), and have generally been working all around to make this a proper, release-worthy set of features. There’s still quite a lot to be done of course, but I have to say, the improvements we’re seeing so far are very significant indeed.

Jim (Romfarer): I’ve been having a go at changing all the fonts we use in the GUI’s to Calibri, sorting out text jitter and adding some nice to have readouts to the existing displays.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.