[0.24.2] GlowStrips v0.4.3

Zarenor

The max. visible distance, is that something that can be tweaked with the module? Aviation lights can be seen from kilometers away, the glow lights a few hundred. For my project extended range would be excellent as well, the inside of the warp nacelles of the Enterprise are like 70 meters long, the whole ship is 305 meters. With just a little zooming out the current glow disappears, breaking immersion a bit.

The maximum visibility range strikes me as a big problem, but I don't currently have any idea of how that works. I'll look into it and get back to you. Thanks for the heads up.

OK about physicalsignificance; I also like parts to behave as they should, though with high part count some efforts at limiting computing physics should be done. Glad you're considering those suggestions. [...] Glowstrips seem easy to make into nice signs, I'm considering to make a few to customize my ships (e.g. left arrow, "exit", "snacks here"). However, this is where I found a problem: I missed to find a reference to the textures packaged with config files or the sourcecode; so my take is the textures are linked with the MU models. Sure I can make a new texture file and name it the same for an existing one, but that still makes only one texture available in all. Could some trick be used to allow different textures?

I know that masslessness is going to be a personal choice for many players, but a necessary choice for those who like to build huge things. Since it's very simple for the user to change, I'd personally prefer to rely on them to do so rather than outright ignore part drag, but I can be easily swayed, following a very brief stint during which I refuse to be swayed. Don't worry, these stints usually end before updates happen.

Also, we had figured on the Strips being used for markers, but signage? That seems like a slight extension of the concept of the part, so we are most likely to come back around to that idea after a few more updates. If we were to add the ability to change their texture, I think that would be done using an Add/Remove, and might be only an overlay that goes on top of the glowing surface. That way we wouldn't have to fiddle with animating the on/off glow, and could store the texture for quick access and viewing in the VAB. We'll see how that part plays out, but it seems possible to do and within the scope/spirit of the mod. Thanks for your suggestion, and for taking the time to keep checking in.

can you set up a little plugin so in version 0.3, the lights can glow/darken with the throttle?

We predicted that people would use the Strips as markers, now signs are looking possible, so mapping them as indicator lights as well makes sense to me. With diomedia's idea on signage, having the glow animation linked to various statuses would make a lot more sense to include as a feature (and vice versa, tbh; who doesn't want an "About To Blow Up" sign?). Plus, that would have a fantastic "Power Up" effect when you're getting ready on the launchpad, which I'd love to see. Status indicators should be possible with any readable variable with a known maximum amount (Throttle, Oxidizer, Engine Heat, Electrical Charge, etc.) or on/off state (Lights, Gear, Brakes, InAtmosphere, etc.). Don't expect that kind of update from us just yet, though. Like I said, we're going to get the basic premise of the mod in effect, then work through the rest of the code for those really nice -- but extra -- features. This may even go into a sister mod. Come to think of it, Indicators isn't a bad place to start with the name. But, as always, I digress.

To be honest with you, I'd prefer for all those little extras to be optional/an addon for this with a possibility to toggle the options on/off in flights. I think having them as indicator lights (resources of the part they're attached to or something) would be really cool, but at the same time, sometimes, I'd just want little thin strips of glow so I can look awesome.

Glad you like the Rekogniser! It wouldn't have been possible without this mod, that's for sure! I'm surprised something like this took so long to be thought of. As for getting this popular, when I posted the first pictures on reddit, within about 8 hours, I had nearly 1000 upvotes - I did make sure to link and name this mod in the comments, too. And I put the craft up for downloading so if people want it, they'll have to get this mod :P

Don't mind what you decide to do for the next update, but if I'm making light cycles, I'll need suitable parts.. :P

This needs to be procedural. the ability to make these to any length would be great.

Not that they are not great, I just see my next ship part count going up a good amount.

Hey guys,

I'm working on getting v0.3 out by Thursday - what features make it in will depend on how many bugs I can quash, but variable-speed on/off and pulsing should make it in.

I'm looking into how to link with throttle and a few other things. If you all can leave a post with the feature you most want, I'll try to work on a few of those next.

New models and textures are also on the list, along with scaling, though that may be another few releases away. I'm busy with military duty the rest of the month, so after v0.3 on Thursday, our next release will be sometime in July.

QScrew and I really appreciate the support, and are excited to get some of these features out for you all!

The parts are too thick IMO. Do they have drag?

I think there was discussion of drag a few posts above. As for thickness, I would suggest a MM cfg that adjusts the part attach node so that it will sink into whatever it attaches to. I'll post one whenever I get around to using these cool lights myself, if no one else does first

Yay! More lights!

Dude, I know, right!

This mod is the greatest.

Dude! I know! Right!?!

Anyone figured out how to link the glow to the throttle? I really want that...
Where is the throttle-ramp-up? I want throttle-controlled lights!

I'm frankly not sure what you're getting at :wink:

Worry not, my sweet chinchilla. We've bumped linking the throttle above making new models.

Okay, everyone who wanted new models, just boo and hiss @ Mekan1k.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the smallest but coolest mods!

I now stick the strips everywhere, lifting stages, upper stages probes and soon-to-be-debris-parts :D

And they make nice cold-light-fireworks, if sticked to a decoupler in the dozens or more...

Suggestions:

Make 'em procedural, with adjustable length, width and thickness. Eventually even with a curvature slider.

Hey guys. Glad you all are still using this.

I'm looking into some of the possibilities quantumscrewdriver and I discussed earlier, with plans to get a new update out in a couple weeks. I'd like to make sure it works with 0.24, so I may wait for that to be released.

Procedural is a thing I'm strongly... considering. There's a couple of ways to do it, and I'm a lot more about the 'right' way rather than the 'easy' way. I'd like to be able to handle curvature and a lot of other things, and that's where things get complicated. Straight parts are fairly easy. Look for than in an update or two.

Another sticking point for me is getting a proper UI in the VAB and SPH, rather than the right-clicky-ness of it. I want to implement a bunch of features with that, so hold tight for getting a UI out, hopefully by the end of August.

Feel free to message me with any issues you have, or jump on the IRC on espernet I'm in both #KSPOfficial and #kspmodders frequently.