[.90] WIP : Stanford Toruses

I've scrapped the pipeline idea for now to redesign the torus hull. I'm getting closer to the look from Elysium.

1RHEpB6.png

This image was a test for a 10km diameter hull with rendering distance set to 120 km. I had to scrap that since the physics are instantly lethal to kerbals when the center of your ship is 5km from where your kerbal "collides" with it.

pWfv6Se.png

This is a shot from the science module looking down the ring. I was going to have the ground as "plates" that you could pre-fabricate and store as subassembles but they seem to wobble from physics. The ground will have to be "integrated" into the final hull like before.

d38BpJE.png

Daytime shot from inside the science center looking downring

k1r9FPp.png

Outside looking at the unfilled interior

8REzgfN.png

This hull will be 2km diameter, the largest I can build it within the default physics box.

Edited by michaelhester07

-snip-

OoO How the **** are we suppose to get that beautiful monstrosity into orbit?!?!

sorry that was the initial shock of seeing it compared to the size of the KSC but still how do we get this into orbit minus hyperedit also can i actually see this from the ground if it is in orbit, just wondering

With the mk2 hull done I'm not going to release just yet for next version. I want to make having a Stanford Torus an actual useful thing. To do this... I'm going to go back to my roots with the biodomes mod and expand that, bringing it into the torus mod. With the biodomes mod will come a way to truly colonize space: civilian population and in-situ kerbal recruitment.

You've probably seen the farm biodome if you have my stanford torus mod.

Y3djAxt.png

That is one of several biodomes i'm going to make (or make useful ) this weekend.

Here's how the in-situ kerbal and civilian population will work.

The farm will produce food. Probably labeled "snacks". This food will be one of 3 parts required to generate a civilian population on your base or space station. An apartment complex biodome will house a civilian population and some working population (you already see the working population in game :) ). Finally entertainment and recreation biodomes (theater and park) will attract civilians to your base/station. The civilian population, food, and recreation will be resources you can monitor. Finally an admin module will be available where you can hire new kerbals on site. Hiring a kerbal on site will cost money and come from your civilian population.

In addition to this system I plan to integrate one of the life support mods, probably MKS, as well (seeing as i've already seen the torus MKS integration). Stay tuned.

Where can we find releases of this awesome work? I don't see links anywhere on this thread for it!

I particularly want the magnetic accelerators (in fact, would it be possible to release just that as a separate mod?), though the habitation rings look cool too... (I will have use for the accelerators MUCH sooner than the hab rings, though- and I'm not currently playing with Kethane, Karbonite, or Extraplanetary Launchpads- which seem integral to the function of some of your parts...)

Regards,

Northstar

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to this system I plan to integrate one of the life support mods, probably MKS, as well (seeing as i've already seen the torus MKS integration). Stay tuned.

I love you :D

That being said, I don't think the way I did it is the right way to go. It would probably make more sense to make one very resource hungry life support module and do some cool things with the civilian population and in situ kerbal recruitment you mentioned instead.

Edited by Yski

• 3 months later...

Long time no revisit. The edit won't bump the update. I've looked into the whole editing process for a stanford torus and figured out a way to shrink the torus and every part in the editor on demand. I do want to do the ISRU kerbal recruitment system and civilian population thing. I had forgotten about it as I went to play other games. The other games' fun is drying up and here i am.

The ISKR system and civilian population thing will be a different mod from the stanford torus thing.

I've scrapped the pipeline idea for now to redesign the torus hull. I'm getting closer to the look from Elysium.

It's too bad you scraped the idea for the pipelines. I think there would be a huge demad for them with people wanting to build out but running into problems with frame rates so they need to build outside of the physics range and that pipeline would be key in doing so. If your all done with the idea I would like to run the idea by Rover Dude and see what he thinks.

You would want to use extraplanetary launchpads to build the torus. I can't imagine KSC surviving the launch. It's possible though as the torus total weight should be no more than 15 kilotons. By that respect it is lighter than it might be in real life. The hull intersects the VAB when it gets placed on the pad. IRL a Stanford torus would certainly not be launched but built in orbit. There are a number of ways that this could happen from launching the raw materials from the moon to a lagrange point or capturing an asteroid and shattering it into an inflated fabric ring so that the asteroid forms the outer ring. The torus should also be a lot bigger, on the order of 60km diameter or larger (that's how big the station in Elysium was).

The pipeline cancellation point: I was doing that 4 months ago (november vs today) and I may integrate that into the ISRU kerbal recruitment thing. Pipelines would be easy enough so long as i can update the resource gathering parts on each ship included in the pipe.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

I love these parts! But I have problems with the "edit" mode. It does not shrink when I click on it. Any guesses what I could do? Otherwise the city torus is not usable, cause it is toooo large to even be displayed with the VAB mod to go outside! It would also be nice to have attachment nodes on the thing along the ring, and the spokes. I tried to add some but they are "hidden" inside the structure and I cant finde them anymore!

It would also be cool if these rings have automatically some cargo, fuel habitable space and greenhouses. If this is not possible, maybe some attachment points to add them? Espacially in the spokes it would be nice to be able to add things, like the greenhouses from Civilian Mod!

On 7/17/2016 at 6:57 AM, GalacticAC said:

Hi,

I love these parts! But I have problems with the "edit" mode. It does not shrink when I click on it. Any guesses what I could do? Otherwise the city torus is not usable, cause it is toooo large to even be displayed with the VAB mod to go outside! It would also be nice to have attachment nodes on the thing along the ring, and the spokes. I tried to add some but they are "hidden" inside the structure and I cant finde them anymore!

It would also be cool if these rings have automatically some cargo, fuel habitable space and greenhouses. If this is not possible, maybe some attachment points to add them? Espacially in the spokes it would be nice to be able to add things, like the greenhouses from Civilian Mod!

mod is waaaaay out of date, last updated for 0.90.

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.