K-P0110 - Apollo-like crew module, now with source files included

Ledenko

Won't be possible with configs, I'm afraid - I didn't put in a collision mesh for it because it would not separate after decoupling, meaning anything attached to it would end up floating just below the pod :)

Ah, okay!

Pods awesome anyway, great work. Do you plan on making anything new or coming back to this in the future?

Maybe, hard to say ;) Whenever I get the feel for playing KSP again (like right now, when I play when I get the chance), I also feel like making stuff for it... But the fact is I only have a business laptop available right now, all the software needed to make a complete 3d model is on my desktop which is not where I currently live and it's doubtful I'll move it any time soon, if at all.

Some feedback.

I restarted my career for unrelated missions since I got this mod and am only now getting to try out the LES.

It works well enough so this isn't critical.

Suggestion 1: LES needs some sort of sideways jet, as it is now it goes nearly straight up and down. It doesn't need to be that strong, just enough to tilt it over a bit so that you don't land back down in your own rocket explosion or otherwise have your rocket plow into the back of you when your LES motors die.

Suggestion 2: FASA mod LES jets set it so that staging decouples and fires the LES so that if you get to that step during launch you just hit space and off it goes. This is much more convenient then the stock behavior that yours follows. Basically as it is now, you have a staging for your LES but you don't ever want to use it so it just takes up space in your stage list.

Other than that this is nearly perfect. I use it for everything now and no longer use the stock 2.5 capsule. This one just looks so much better. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27552313/LES2.ZIP

Here's the LES with the bottom skirt corrected and a sideways thruster added. I was toying around with adding 8 RCS controlled thrusters (Orion LES style) but it seems there's a limit to how many RCS exhausts can be on a single part, so that idea went away. I also tried to give the side thruster a separate motor so it wouldn't be as powerful as the main thrusters, but that gave me a VAB icon bug, where the LES zoomed out of existance. It worked, but it seemed just a tad too buggy :)

I don't know how to remove the staging icon though, so...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27552313/LES2.ZIP

Here's the LES with the bottom skirt corrected and a sideways thruster added. I was toying around with adding 8 RCS controlled thrusters (Orion LES style) but it seems there's a limit to how many RCS exhausts can be on a single part, so that idea went away. I also tried to give the side thruster a separate motor so it wouldn't be as powerful as the main thrusters, but that gave me a VAB icon bug, where the LES zoomed out of existance. It worked, but it seemed just a tad too buggy :)

I don't know how to remove the staging icon though, so...

You can set staging = false in the eninge partModule in the .cfg file.

Nope! If I do anything it's gonna be stuff made for fun when I have time, I'm so not gonna go at another module with an IVA, it's a pain the rear. Besides, ALCOR pod is awesome and I think FASA has an equally awesome LEM module.

When it says "compatible with type-1 docking nodes" this is referring to the 1.25 meter stock docks, yes? I assume then that the extendable docking probe is an aesthetic piece, and lacks a collision mesh?

Also, it appears as though the pod does not have deadly reentry heat shielding, is there a config someone has put out somewhere for this?

Edited by TheGatesofLogic

When it says "compatible with type-1 docking nodes" this is referring to the 1.25 meter stock docks, yes? I assume then that the extendable docking probe is an aesthetic piece, and lacks a collision mesh?

Also, it appears as though the pod does not have deadly reentry heat shielding, is there a config someone has put out somewhere for this?

Post #40 has a link to it

Correct and correct!

I tried out the escape tower and sadly, it's almost useless to me. There are multiple problems with it:

1: The sideways thruster is too powerful and will topple the pod over too quickly. The pod is also put sent tumbling by the tower, which is not supposed to happen. A way to fix this could be removing the sideways thruster and instead angling one of the main thusters a little.

2: The tower burns out way too quickly, and a pad abort will fail to reach a height at which parachutes (realchutes) can be safely opened.

3: The tower has a tendency to blow up the parachute on separation if the pod is tumbling.

Here's a video showing how the real one worked:

You're more than welcome to edit the part to suit your needs, in fact, I encourage it! Feel free to share it with others as well, I'm hardly working on this, most I can promise is I can update first post with new parts/configs with full credit.

I'm trying to learn how to modify, but I'm not there yet. I couldn't figure out how to modify the offset thrust, so I use the "old" LES. But I changed the SolidFuel value from 15 to 65 and it gave a perfect height of 2000 meters, which is realistic. I'm using FAR and RF.

EDIT: Oh, while I'm at it, can someone point me in the right direction of adding a droguechute? If it is possible by just editing the configfiles?

Edited by Johnny2000

• 1 month later...

I just dropped by to keep the flames of creativity burning on this! :D

I'm still using this mod daily and love it! If any modder has some free time it would be great to see a matching service module for this capsule. I usually just throw one together with procedural parts and then use procedural fairings to make it tie in nicely with whatever launcher I'm using. I edit the capsule config file to carry a little more mono propellant, electricity and life support (if im using that type of mod), but I would prefer to have a service module for this, rather than throwing together procedural tanks.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by AlMacTavish

I will second that. A service module would totally rock.

Speaking of which, which mod does the service module int he picture come from?

I created it using a few different mods -Procedural fairings for all the tank shapes, Near future solar panels and the engine is from the stock part revamp pack. Its very easy to do with procedural parts :D

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.