K-P0110 - Apollo-like crew module, now with source files included

Ledenko

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Can anyone update this baby up to 1.0.5?

Just dive into the .cfg, and add the ablator yourself. For simple stuff like this, it's faster to learn how to do it on your own, than it is to pester add-on authors to do it for you. Heck, that's basically how I got into modding myself. 

2 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Just dive into the .cfg, and add the ablator yourself. For simple stuff like this, it's faster to learn how to do it on your own, than it is to pester add-on authors to do it for you. Heck, that's basically how I got into modding myself. 

First of all I realized that AS SOON as I asked the question. And I solved it. (You realize that's how I play 64K. (however I edit the ISPs) and I have that down).

But there are two more problems

How do you make the bottom part of the capsule fade? 

Buoyancy: isn't a problem

Finally: there is a problem with the heating system. It randomly overheated. 

Edited by davidy12

Just now, davidy12 said:

First of all I realized that AS SOON as I asked the question. And I solved it. But there are two more problems
How do you make the bottom part of the capsule fade? 
Buoyancy: isn't a problem
Finally: there is a problem with the heating system. It randomly overheated. 

Make sure you have ModuleAblator included in the .cfg. This here, is copied right out of the .cfg for the Stock 2.5m heat shield. Should be close-ish.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		ablativeResource = Ablator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
		reentryConductivity = 0.01
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}

Charring is controlled by parameters called charMin, and charMax. Giving values charMin = 1.0, and charMax = 1.0, will disable charring completely. Giving values other than those control the amount of charring, but I don't know what does what. Just mess around with values close to zero and one, and see what they do. 

Here's a great post on the topic of charring and ablation. I think even the color of the charring can be controlled by putting a color code into a parameter called charAlpha. So, if you didn't want it to char to black, but perhaps a dirty brown-black, you could possibly achieve that. Not sure myself. Never tried it. 

And, then you need the Ablator Resource, which you already know.

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 800
		maxAmount = 800
	}	

On overheating, you need to check out parameters like maxTemp, thermalMassModifier, and skinMaxTemp. I would just find the values that the Stock 2.5m Crew Capsule uses, and use numbers close to that. For buoyancy, I would just define it if it hasn't been defined already. The buoyancy for the stock 2.5m capsule is 1.5 I believe. 

22 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Make sure you have ModuleAblator included in the .cfg. This here, is copied right out of the .cfg for the Stock 2.5m heat shield. Should be close-ish.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAblator
		ablativeResource = Ablator
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 0.1
		pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
		reentryConductivity = 0.01
		ablationTempThresh = 500
	}

Charring is controlled by parameters called charMin, and charMax. Giving values charMin = 1.0, and charMax = 1.0, will disable charring completely. Giving values other than those control the amount of charring, but I don't know what does what. Just mess around with values close to zero and one, and see what they do. 

Here's a great post on the topic of charring and ablation. I think even the color of the charring can be controlled by putting a color code into a parameter called charAlpha. So, if you didn't want it to char to black, but perhaps a dirty brown-black, you could possibly achieve that. Not sure myself. Never tried it. 

And, then you need the Ablator Resource, which you already know.

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ablator
		amount = 800
		maxAmount = 800
	}	

On overheating, you need to check out parameters like maxTemp, thermalMassModifier, and skinMaxTemp. I would just find the values that the Stock 2.5m Crew Capsule uses, and use numbers close to that. For buoyancy, I would just define it if it hasn't been defined already. The buoyancy for the stock 2.5m capsule is 1.5 I believe. 

Thank you, do you also, mind telling me how to install the RCS motors?

14 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Thank you, do you also, mind telling me how to install the RCS motors?

You'll need to open up the Unity package that @Ledenko so kindly released. Didn't know he had released his source stuff to the public domain. Major kudos. 

RCS thrusters in KSP use ModuleRCS. This is the module in the stock RV-105 thruster block:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleRCS
		thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
		thrusterPower = 1
		resourceName = MonoPropellant
		resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 240
			key = 1 100
			key = 4 0.001
		}
	}

The parameter thrusterTransformName references the name of an empty in Unity, with name RCSthruster. You can call the empty whatever you like. I personally use the name monoTransform. When you put your empty in Unity, know that the thruster will fire along the +Y axis of that empty. For my example, I put the empty on where the thruster is painted, and made it fire upwards a bit at a 30º angle. 

59619db9f4.png

You can make as many of these as you like all around the capsule, pointing at various angles, but I would not over-do it. I would not have more than 2 monoTransforms pointing along the same axis. I believe that rather the two transforms firing at full thrust, the game tells them to reduce thrust to balance out. That's why single RCS parts with many nozzles facing in the same direction don't look right when they fire. 

Make your monoTransforms children of the main GameObject, or a child of another empty if you want for neatness and organization. 

It seems we have thrust!

ef147bcd45.png

Now try it yourself, and post the results. Let me know if you get stuck. For simple questions, just PM me. Don't clog up this topic, and make sure you truncate when you quote me. No need to included full quotations.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.