[0.23.5] Kerbal Anti-Lock Brake System v1.0

puzzler995

NOTE:Hey everyone! Sorry for the absence. I've been crazy busy with school, and my hard drive died over the summer. But I'm back! A new version of ABS is coming I promise!!! I'm pulling it from Github right now!

I decided to do a massive overhaul. Instead of ANOTHER part to clutter up the VAB, I've decided to try to use ModuleManager to add my module to the Landing Gear and Wheels. It also makes it better seeing as I'm terrible at modeling... So THAT'S what's coming soon!

Have you ever landed your spaceplane, but hit the brakes a bit too hard, causing your plane to flip over? You can pulse the brakes manually, but who really wants to abuse their keyboard that way? The engineers at ShureStop Industries put their heads together and came up with the Anti-Lock Brake System! Attach the computer to your vessel, and while flying, turn on the ABS and it will begin pulsing the brake action group. When your craft stops moving, ABS will automatically set the brakes to on, and deactivate itself.

The computer is in the Utility panel, and can be unlocked in the Landing node in the tech tree

Get it on Curse!

Source Code on GitHub

This mod is compatible with the KSP-AVC version check system, but it's not required

Planned Features:

• Toolbar integration

This is my first mod, so any advice or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated :D

License:

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright © 2014 puzzler995

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy

of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal

in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights

to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell

copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is

furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all

copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE

AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER

LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,

OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE

SOFTWARE.

Edited by puzzler995

This is quite ingenious. I'm getting it pronto.

Thanks :) if you find any bugs or have any suggestions let me know!

That's...actually an awsome idea! I won't have much use for it-my aircraft don't flip, they either land flat, break up on impact with the ground or land at the wrong angle and roll.

Thanks :) I have those same problems too, but I guess I'm just really bad at placing wheels so if I land and hit the brakes, my planes will often flip forward like a bicycle.

Could it be possibly extended? Its current form is rather nice, but I'd also like something useful for rover ABS systems. Instead of a 'toggle until stopped and off', could we also have the ability to set it to 'on press' toggle? Such as holding B and having it pulse rover brakes for us to slow down without flipping? Letting off B would automatically turn it off. Anything like this in the future for it?

Could it be possibly extended? Its current form is rather nice, but I'd also like something useful for rover ABS systems. Instead of a 'toggle until stopped and off', could we also have the ability to set it to 'on press' toggle? Such as holding B and having it pulse rover brakes for us to slow down without flipping? Letting off B would automatically turn it off. Anything like this in the future for it?

That was actually my original plan, to hijack the B key. However, as I said this is my first mod so I'm still learning, and the documentation for the KSP API is not very good at all. If the documentation exists, it's usually very out of date, so I'm essentially learning by looking at the source of major mods (like kethane, mechjeb, etc) to see how they do things.

That is definitely what I would like to move to, but I have to figure out if it's even possible. I plan to figure that out after I get 0.2.0 done, which as of right now makes the ABS drain power when on, and also has a GUI to allow you to manually change the cycle rate in-flight.

I just take the front wheels out of my "brake" action group :)

I made this in the KSP mind spirit. Easy way? Nahhhh why would I do that???

This also could be useful for mods like Firespitter. It provides a bi-plane which only has front wheels. And they are usually in front of the CoM, so it's easy to flip

1.0 is done and uploaded! I got in a coding frenzy, so I added in almost every planned feature!

New features:

• Completely Redesigned Part!
  • Key support! Now the mod works as the brakes do with the keyboard, except you hit the "Mod" key with "B" (by default this is Alt).
  • Electricity Draw! Now the part pulls 0.3 electric charge per second when on.
  • GUI editor! Now, you can right click the part and open the GUI which allows you to modify the rate at which the ABS system toggles. By default it is every .1 seconds.

Stuff to come:

• Toolbar support. I was hoping to get this in for this release, but I was having crazy problems with it and just commented everything out for now. The icons and everything are here though.

If you guys have any suggestions feel free to let me know :)

EDIT: Apparently CurseForge has to approve uploaded files. So here's the GitHub download until that goes up

Edited by puzzler995

• 2 months later...
Loving this mod. Any plans to update?

Honestly I wasn't planning to because I didn't think anyone used it :) now I will definitely update it! I lost my hard drive right before .24 came out, so I have to reclone the repo. I'll be sure to post any updates here!

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly I wasn't planning to because I didn't think anyone used it :) now I will definitely update it! I lost my hard drive right before .24 came out, so I have to reclone the repo. I'll be sure to post any updates here!

Don't despair... just because people don't reply doesn't mean that nobody uses it. It just means you've got a solid thing that doesn't need bug fixes or new features :D

Keep up the great work, I too am looking forward to an update.

• 3 weeks later...

it dont work with modular multi wheel look like it dont detect the wheel only work if a landing wheel stock hit the ground and without that it work fine

or i just dont know how to activate it i have suggestion to fix that allow the computer to pusle the brake nomater if is flying on ground or without wheel is what i think can fix that

multiwheel work on ksp 24.2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tested it on 0.25 Windows 32-bit. It doesn't break the game, but the ABS pod seems to insist that it doesn't have enough power to run, even on a simple rover packed with enough RTGs to cover the power needs of everything twice over. Maybe the mechanism for requesting power has changed?

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone! Sorry for the absence. I've been crazy busy with school, and my hard drive died over the summer. But I'm back! A new version of ABS is coming I promise!!! I'm pulling it from Github right now!

EDIT: I decided to do a massive overhaul. Instead of ANOTHER part to clutter up the VAB, I've decided to try to use ModuleManager to add my module to the Landing Gear and Wheels. It also makes it better seeing as I'm terrible at modeling... So THAT'S what's coming soon!

Edited by puzzler995

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.