[1.2.2] Ioncross Crew Support v1.26.0 (Starwaster's branch) - Jul 7, 2016

Starwaster

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Thanx for not only the update, but STILL updating 1.0.5... :) I for ONE thank you for that alone... :)

Well I know not everyone has updated and the fixes are the same either way :wink:

Edit: Update: Doing some last minute adjustments to recycler O2/CO2 rates. Also have to double check career mode trees

Edited by Starwaster
update news. (an update-update)

Ioncross Life Support 1.22.0

• Converters and Collectors working properly again (affects recyclers and intakes)
  • EVA life support improvements. All LS functions using FixedUpdate() instead of Update() now.
  • Kerbals on EVA and sitting in command seats or otherwise connected to vehicles will try to use external supplies first. (i.e., Kerbal sitting in rover will use the rover's bottles instead of his suit bottles)
  • EVA LS may have been disabled some time in the recent past. It is definitely active again so be careful!
  • Recyclers functionality has changed. O2 to CO2 ratio is much higher. CO2 is only a fraction, basically being a sort of sump tank.
  • Last plugin update for 1.0.5 barring catastrophic bug discovery. (config updates will be backwards compatible)

Download from one of these locations:

http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/221054-ioncross-crew-support-sw

https://github.com/Starwaster/Ioncross-Crew-Support/releases/tag/v1.22.0

I actually might do one further update for 1.0.5. after reevaluating the tech tree for Ioncross parts. Later today will come the update for KSP 1.1.3

Front page will be edited later; going to go catch some zzz's

• 2 weeks later...

Ioncross Life Support 1.23.0

THIS will be the final 1.0.5 update. I've finally got it in a place where I'm satisfied with moving it forward. Added (or re-added?) zzz's greenhouse part. Discovered a bug with how it behaves in recent KSP releases where it was no longer picking up the sun properly. Or more accurately, I think they fixed a solar panel bug in KSP and the greenhouse probably should never have worked to begin with. So, fixed that and greenhouse is now officially part of Ioncross. It will convert CO2 + Light -> O2 at a 1:1 ratio, supporting up to 10 Kerbals approx.

Rebalanced all part costs and descriptions.

Did some preliminary work towards code refactoring. Currently, any updates I do have the potential to break Ioncross parts in saves and any changes made to certain modules like the CO2 scrubber or basic LSS rates don't carry over to vessels in the field. That could be bad or good depending on perspective, but ultimately I need to move it away from saving so much data to the save files. Very little of it should be persistent as that's what breaks saves or prevents existent vessels from being updated as Ioncross updates.

• Updated O2 density & cost. (recent changes to how KSP calculated part cost was hideously inflating Ioncross resource part costs)
  • Added RESOURCE_DEFINITION for Light (for the greenhouse part)
  • Cost rebalancing on all parts
  • Updated description with more accurate duration in Kerbal days. (assuming Kerbin time where 1 Kerbin day = 0.25 Earth days)
  • Replaced panel transform. (this part had stopped working properly due to KSP updates)
  • Rescaled to account for added MODEL nodes
  • Added drag cubes to part
  • Changed generators to Ioncross generators
  • Updated default config file
  • Disabled experimental thermals

Download sites:

Alternate:

https://github.com/Starwaster/Ioncross-Crew-Support/releases/tag/v1.23.0

Edited by Starwaster

Ioncross Life Support 1.25.0

Recompiled for KSP 1.1.3. I skipped 1.1.2 but if there's any demand for it I'll put up a download for  Ioncross compiled for it.

The part configs are backwards compatible to 1.0.5 so anyone who hasn't updated to the latest KSP can grab the configs for bulkhead profile. The tags should just be ignored the same way as it ignores anything you add to a part config that isn't a valid part variable.

Warning: There's TWO versions of Module Manager in the download. If you have any weird MM issues then delete the older version. (MM 'elects' only the newest version to actually run but I'm paranoid about letting more than one MM live in the GameData folder)

Change Log

• Compiled for KSP 1.25.0
  • Added tags to parts
  • Added bulkhead profiles to parts
  • Rebranded parts

Download links 

Alternate link (not uploaded yet)

Edited by Starwaster
Module Manager OOoops

42 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Great, I was waiting this release to begin a new save in 1.1.3.

There might be a problem with the update that I uploaded. I'll be looking into it later today but it doesn't look like O2/CO2 is being consumed/produced. I'm looking into it.

When installing this new update, delete any existing IoncrossCrewSupport folders that you might have. (which for 1.1.3 you shouldn't unless you tried to install an older version)

If there's any problem with Ioncross resources not being consumed or generated then delete the mod and reinstall from scratch. The Plugin folder was renamed to Plugins (which it should be by convention) which introduces the possibility of having two dlls installed which would be bad.

24 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Huh... Last TWO, new versions arent showing on Curse?...
And I cant access ANY Github domains thru my router... :(

Looks like there's some delay in propagation from 'Forge to Curse. Try the CurseForge site instead

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ioncross-crew-support-sw/files

• 11 months later...

Updated for KSP 1.2.2!

https://github.com/Starwaster/Ioncross-Crew-Support/releases/tag/v1.26.0

Also on Curse shortly

* Updated for KSP 1.2.2
* Reworking of configs; support added properly to everything that can hold crew
* Real Fuels / Community Resource Pack: Fuel Cells converted to Ioncross generators using liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen
* Fuel Cell parts also automatically convert liquid oxygen to breathable oxygen. (mimics Apollo LOX tank behavior)

A word about using this with Real Fuels: Liquid Oxygen is a more efficient storage method. There are a few ways you can take advantage of this. One is by storing the LOX in Service Module tanks. Any naturally occuring boiloff will be diverted to your gaseous O2 tanks. You can also attach fuel cells to your vehicle which will automatically convert LOX into gaseous O2 no matter what type of tank it was in. (but use service module types so you reduce wasting of O2)

Update for KSP 1.3.0 should happen later today (still didn't happen yet... :(

Edited by Starwaster

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of, I have an old as hell savegame (my first career with my only modular land bases) dating originally to KSP 0.21 with this, but I gave up on getting its mods updated after KSP 1.22 really. This save is like an old t-shirt, you like it but you can't use it anymore xD

8 hours ago, Demon_82 said:

Kind of, I have an old as hell savegame (my first career with my only modular land bases) dating originally to KSP 0.21 with this, but I gave up on getting its mods updated after KSP 1.22 really. This save is like an old t-shirt, you like it but you can't use it anymore xD

Well I do have an update for 1.3.x but it's got some issues that needed working out...

If you finish the update for yourself, I sure can give that update a run. But I don't think 1 is a high enough number of users to make you work on it, so no pressure, my oldiest career save won't go anywhere xD

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2018 at 3:23 PM, Starwaster said:

So does anyone actually still use this besides myself?

the original thread in the OP is broken so Id actually like to learn more about this mod, but...CO2 Scrubbers sound interesting, and I do want to try a life support mod, and the current ones for 1.4+ are..meh.  But it does happen to be compatible with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems supposedly which is updated for 1.4. interesting, very interesting

8 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

the original thread in the OP is broken so Id actually like to learn more about this mod, but...CO2 Scrubbers sound interesting, and I do want to try a life support mod, and the current ones for 1.4+ are..meh.  But it does happen to be compatible with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems supposedly which is updated for 1.4. interesting, very interesting

Fixed the link; it's a link to mod's original thread before I branched it.

What this mod has that other life support mods don't is that none of the resource requirements are hard coded. It's possible to completely reconfigure it to use any other resource. I could add a Snacks resource and then write up configs that only use snacks. (exception: if an EVA Kerbal requires a resource named Oxygen then they don't require any while on a planet that is designated as having Oxygen in its atmosphere)

The downside is that the original code is overly complex and time consuming to maintain. It breaks in strange ways with almost every KSP update. If I ever get time then I will rewrite it from the ground up. Essentially it would no longer be Ioncross though it would use its configs so it would have Ioncross's configurability, extensibility and simplicity but without the baggage of difficult to maintain code. Currently I'm struggling with a bizarre issue in KSP 1.3.1 where the game starts to lag horribly whenever a Kerbal goes on EVA. I actually have it function in KSP 1.3.1 but I just don't dare to release it with this kind of lag and I've only just recently started to zero in on the cause and as near as I can tell it's in a place I literally would never have thought of looking if I hadn't stumbled over it first.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Fixed the link; it's a link to mod's original thread before I branched it.

What this mod has that other life support mods don't is that none of the resource requirements are hard coded. It's possible to completely reconfigure it to use any other resource. I could add a Snacks resource and then write up configs that only use snacks. (exception: if an EVA Kerbal requires a resource named Oxygen then they don't require any while on a planet that is designated as having Oxygen in its atmosphere)

The downside is that the original code is overly complex and time consuming to maintain. It breaks in strange ways with almost every KSP update. If I ever get time then I will rewrite it from the ground up. Essentially it would no longer be Ioncross though it would use its configs so it would have Ioncross's configurability, extensibility and simplicity but without the baggage of difficult to maintain code. Currently I'm struggling with a bizarre issue in KSP 1.3.1 where the game starts to lag horribly whenever a Kerbal goes on EVA. I actually have it function in KSP 1.3.1 but I just don't dare to release it with this kind of lag and I've only just recently started to zero in on the cause and as near as I can tell it's in a place I literally would never have thought of looking if I hadn't stumbled over it first.

Thanks for re-linking

question: are the scrubbers an actual part? or is it a module added to parts via a patch?

I also found this reply, and..im kinda liking the idea tbh lol. I spend a lot of time in the vab/sph. I would enjoy a lifesupport mod being a part of the engineering/building process rather than slap it anywhere and g2g. And when I read CO2 scrubbers, I was like..wait..what? thats a thing? Can I recreate "The 100"??lol

Just my 2cents, Thank you for your time!

5 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

Thanks for re-linking

question: are the scrubbers an actual part? or is it a module added to parts via a patch?

I also found this reply, and..im kinda liking the idea tbh lol. I spend a lot of time in the vab/sph. I would enjoy a lifesupport mod being a part of the engineering/building process rather than slap it anywhere and g2g. And when I read CO2 scrubbers, I was like..wait..what? thats a thing? Can I recreate "The 100"??lol

Just my 2cents, Thank you for your time!

The way scrubbers are currently implemented is that they are built into each part that can contain crew. The CO2 is removed and there is unlimited scrubber capacity. (this could be changed via config if you're at all skilled at writing MM configs; some day I might write up a set of configs to make CO2 more challenging)

Scrubbers can be toggled off and that is something you would want to do once recyclers/greenhouses are researched and installed on your ship so that scrubbers and recyclers aren't competing for CO2. The mod comes with one greenhouse part and a few other greenhouse parts are supported.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Starwaster First, I am *NOT* asking for an actual update of the mod. ;)

Just wondering what the status is of it, and if you are still considering development of it.

Especially since IFILS and Closed Life Support seem to both be dead.

It struck me, that having a nice simple LS system, that addresses just breatheable atmo for Kerbals is a nice place to start for people wanting to try an LS mod, without all the complexities of full-on LS like TAC or USI.

I kno there is Snacks!, which is still in dev. That seems to take care of just the food aspect.
It is a good starting point for peeple wanting to try a simple LS mod.
I was thinking it might be nice to start with *EITHER* Snacks or ICS, or maybe *both* together for basic, simple introduction to LS mods. Maybe I am incorrect, but it seems there shouldnt be any conflict between the two, since they seem to handle two seperate aspects of LS, and both seem to do so *simply* vOv

So, i guess I am just wondering what your thoughts are about this?

Thanx ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

On 4/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, Stone Blue said:

Hi @Starwaster First, I am *NOT* asking for an actual update of the mod. ;)

Just wondering what the status is of it, and if you are still considering development of it.

Especially since IFILS and Closed Life Support seem to both be dead.

It struck me, that having a nice simple LS system, that addresses just breatheable atmo for Kerbals is a nice place to start for people wanting to try an LS mod, without all the complexities of full-on LS like TAC or USI.

I kno there is Snacks!, which is still in dev. That seems to take care of just the food aspect.
It is a good starting point for peeple wanting to try a simple LS mod.
I was thinking it might be nice to start with *EITHER* Snacks or ICS, or maybe *both* together for basic, simple introduction to LS mods. Maybe I am incorrect, but it seems there shouldnt be any conflict between the two, since they seem to handle two seperate aspects of LS, and both seem to do so *simply* vOv

So, i guess I am just wondering what your thoughts are about this?

Thanx ;)

Yeah, I could compile it for the new KSP updates. I still use it myself anyway but I wasn't sure anyone else was still interested in it so I hadn't pushed any updates out.

I've done a bunch of code fixes and tweaked the patches to work with Real Fuels (if installed) so that players can replace the O2 with LOX in the O2 tanks which also includes builtin heaters. (makes it a lot easier to do long term missions, especially in RSS or other scaled up environments - just don't stir the tanks)

• 9 months later...

@linuxgurugamer it’ll get updated but it’s low priority right now due to the perceived low level of interest. 

Re: other mods + Ioncross, it really doesn’t require explicit support for most crewed parts. Exceptions are large crew areas like the hitchhiker part which is assumed to have more breathable air due to its size, air tank parts or parts with variable crew capacity such as inflatables. Or LS recycler parts. 

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@linuxgurugamer it’ll get updated but it’s low priority right now due to the perceived low level of interest. 

Re: other mods + Ioncross, it really doesn’t require explicit support for most crewed parts. Exceptions are large crew areas like the hitchhiker part which is assumed to have more breathable air due to its size, air tank parts or parts with variable crew capacity such as inflatables. Or LS recycler parts. 

Ok, then I won't worry about support for it right now in CivPop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.