[0.24.2] Kerbal Crew Transfer - v0.5 released, 0.24 support and Crew Swapping

joed_

I've released v0.4, it incorporates shaw's fixes for TextureReplacer and is available on Github here.

The Curse download will take a while to update but should be up to date shortly.

I didnt mean a way to remove crew from a vessel i meant a way to get crew out of the actual crew list that you have before you launch, its only very small yet good feature
I agree, a single menu option that lets you kick out all the kerbals in that part when you're still in the launchpad would fix my biggest peeve with trying to launch robot taxis to my station.

You can assign/remove crew right in the VAB or SPH before going to the launch pad. There's no need for a mod that removes crew again on the pad.

You can assign/remove crew right in the VAB or SPH before going to the launch pad. There's no need to remove crew again on the pad.

Did we just find the one person in the entire world of people who've played KSP, who never once forgot to set the crew of their ship before clicking launch?

joed_,

I certainly don't mean to be a nuisance, but I was wondering if you might comment on the feasibility of my earlier request, that the "Transfer [name]" button only appear when two parts are selected. Cluttering the context menu with useless buttons is the only thing holding me back from whole-heartedly embracing your mod. I believe several other commenters have endorsed this suggestion as well. Thank you very much for your work on this mod.

joed_,

I certainly don't mean to be a nuisance, but I was wondering if you might comment on the feasibility of my earlier request, that the "Transfer [name]" button only appear when two parts are selected. Cluttering the context menu with useless buttons is the only thing holding me back from whole-heartedly embracing your mod. I believe several other commenters have endorsed this suggestion as well. Thank you very much for your work on this mod.

I've gotten that (mostly) working, and it's currently in the git repo. I'll try to get a build out soon, it's just that I've started work at a summer job and I haven't had the chance to do much testing on it.

In other words: Soon.

Thanks for making it available off curse.

Edit: Doesn't seem to work for me. I copied the GameData folder into the main KSP folder, but I'm not seeing any crew transfer options when I alt-click on crew pods. Am I missing something?

Edited by Bomoo

Did we just find the one person in the entire world of people who've played KSP, who never once forgot to set the crew of their ship before clicking launch?

Did we just find the one person in the entire world of people who play KSP that finds the "revert" button and VAB/SPH menu to be too challenging and needs a separate, dedicated and redundant UI just for that one simple function?

Did we just find the one person in the entire world of people who play KSP that finds the "revert" button and VAB/SPH menu to be too challenging and needs a separate, dedicated and redundant UI just for that one simple function?

To challenging? No. Too boring? Yes. And it wouldn't be one function; it'd be a side-effect function of a decent crew management interface like the one in this mod.

I don't play KSP on a supercomputer. It can take minutes to revert to the VAB and relaunch. My Jool all-in-one ship (which granted was pushing 500 parts) took *10 minutes* to load in *both* the VAB and SPH. That means that if I click "launch" and then immediately go "Oh no I forgot to load the people!" I had a HALF HOUR to wait for it to load, then revert to VAB, then relaunch. It was quicker to immediately alt-f4 and then launch from the space center.

Even outside of that extreme case, having a way to avoid 30-60 seconds of extra not-playing-the-game time during my very restricted playing-the-game time would be much appreciated and very non redundant.

people arguing for no apparent reason ether use it or don't thanks to this moder and many others we have options and options to chose from...

thank you for this simple mod keep up the good work :)

For everyone who wanted "Transfer ..." to be hidden unless there's two parts selected, I've uploaded a prerelease to github. (Found here).

I would very much appreciate it if people could test it, and help me kill any bugs that crop up. It is a prerelease however, so don't expect it to be stable.

Hm. Not getting the transfer items in my shift-rightclick menus. I have the latest version from github. I have just that & MechJeb installed. I'm running Linux. I've got 2 fairly simple 16-part ships docked. 3-man command pods, Bill & Bob in one, Jeb in the other.

Any suggestions? I don't see any strange errors in the logs. Anything I can do to help debug?

If you could test the prerelease, that would help.

And I know you've said that there's nothing strange, but could you PM the log file anyway? Just in case you've missed anything.

I'll happily test the prerelease.

Any chance you could add the ability to queue a transfer so you could swap 2 people between lander cans?

I imagine you get the gui up on both cans, and they each have a guy in them. You click one guy's button and it goes down. You click the other guy's button and they swap. Currently, it just says you can't transfer because there are no open places.

it'd be a side-effect function of a decent crew management interface like the one in this mod.

I don't play KSP on a supercomputer.

So, the solution is to add more resource-demand from mods. Brilliant! :P

In any case, we already have mod(s) that have more intensive crew-management features. What we did not have (until now) is a lightweight mod that just does this one, simple, really important function. Using one of the more comprehensive mods if you have more comprehensive needs would be a much better solution than weighing this mod down with redundant baggage that's already available elsewhere (and, as a side effect, eliminating the only mod that just does this one, simple, really important function).

Edited by RoboRay

I may be as thick as a whale omelette, but no matter where I put these files this plugin doesn't show up in game. I'm running 0.23.464 and to test it I went to my space station and tried to transfer crew from one pod to another. No matter where I clicked the only thing that appears is the standard 'transfer fuel' dialog; 'transfer crew' is not there. Does it only work with command pods, or does it work with habitation pods and the science lab as well?

The directories I tried:

D:\KSP\!KSP program\GameData\CrewXfer\Plugins

D:\KSP\!KSP program\GameData\CrewXfer

D:\KSP\!KSP program\Plugins

Just where exactly is each file supposed to be? Most mods I've seen tend to have install instructions, just in case. :P

PS: OK I just noticed joed_'s post. Apparently I need ModuleManager, maybe?

Edited by TimKerbin

• 2 weeks later...

This should really have a feature to trade kerbals as-well -.-

Everytime I come to my space-station, everything is full. So I can't use this mod, I need to manually EVA multiple kerbals and trade pods, and de-orbit some others.

This should really have a feature to trade kerbals as-well

I probably won't implement this. For two reasons:

Firstly it would clutter up the codebase (admittedly it's incredibly small at the moment, but I'd like to keep it that way). The UI code (and functionality) are implemented using PartModules and I'm not currently aware of another way to do it. To have a "Swap XXX Kerman" function would require some sort of shared state between PartModules, which would mean another dirty hack on top a mod that is to be quite honest an ugly, if stable hack. I haven't really touched the code in about two weeks, but as it's currently implemented it uses some dirty tricks with reflection to determine how many parts are right-clicked, whether they can store crew, and if they can, it enables the "Transfer XXX Kerman" actions and redraws the UIPartActionWindow, otherwise it's hidden. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware it's the only way to do it. If I recall correctly, FireSpitter uses the same trick for redrawing tweakables.

Secondly, the whole point of this mod was to avoid spamming the UI as much as possible, and I'd rather not add any extra windows or options that aren't entirely necessary. I'm not really sure how I'd fit in a "Swap" button, without introducing another window, or cluttering up an already cluttered right-click menu.

At the moment I have another small project that I'm working on (it's only in the early stages), that I suspect users of this and CLS might find interesting. I'll post it on the forums and github as soon as I have some usable code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.