Which would prevail? The Imovable object or the Irresistible force?

Aethon

Assuming that the irresistible force is simply an infinitely strong force and the immovable objects is immovable because it's infinitely heavy (infinity kg), we get

acceleration=(infinity*N)/(infinity*kg)

Infinity and infinity cancel out, so we get 1 m/s² of acceleration – the immovable object is accelerated.

But wait! What if we used other units? Because it's infinity, you can't exactly change how infinite it is. So, we don't really get 1 m/s² of acceleration, but the immovable object is accelerated by 1 [insert unit of your choice here]. Which doesn't really make any sense, because there's a difference between 1 meter per second² and 1 picometer/century².

So, the irresistible force wins. I'm approximately 100% sure that I made at least one mistake here, though.

Yeah, sorry but Infinity/Infinity = Undefined, not 1

Either way, neither exists (nor can it), so the universe does not exist.

Can I have a cookie?

Do Chuck Norris and Scott Manley count as the imovable object and irresistible force?

It was only a matter of time before someone would bring up Chuck Norris. It's like the Godwin's law of physics.

Either way, neither exists (nor can it), so the universe does not exist.

Can I have a cookie?

So that's the at least one mistake. Thanks!

Of course. *gives cookie*

• 11 months later...

Can I have a cookie?

Not sure I agree. To say that Undefined is NOT equal to 1 seems a bit strong. I was taught that every number can be correct in that situation.

So my answer is: Either one. Both. And Neither. And (just for the cat) everything in between.

Edited by DarkGravity

I finally watched the vid from the second post. I find it rather weak. Snazzy, but weak. Everything goes along smoothly until it comes time for the conclusion when the narrator says that because they cannot be accelerated, they must pass right through each other. I don't believe that A necessarily follows from B. He never demonstrated that those were the only two choices, so why does disproving one leave only the other? Disproving one possible outcome still leaves a whole universe of possible outcomes. What about mutual annihilation, among many other possibilities?

By definition of an immovable object and unstoppable force, neither wins. They're both the same object if you think about it. Literally cannot be moved or stopped by any amount of force means they contain infinite mass, therefore infinite force. What is infinity - infinity? Still infinity? So they pass through each other.

That's not to say they couldn't even exist.

Isn't a movement dependent on your frame of reference, meaning that the unmovable object 'moved' by the unstoppable force is still standing still in its own frame of reference? The rest of the universe is just moving around it, but that matters not. No one told us relative to what the unstoppable force moves.

Both can exist at the same time, as both are the same thing at the same time.

Edited by Camacha

I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised nobody has stated the obvious: the immovable object and unstoppable force are the parents of the Kraken. When they meet they are annihilated and a Kraken is born.

If that is obvious to you, then I must say I like the way you think!

They would just push through eachother, basically flowing from one side to the other. Nothing would be destroyed, it would be like a ghost passing through a wall. The immovable object would not change tempurature as it doesn't have any molecular movement, staying stable at 0 Kelvin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.