KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Anyone able to reproduce the crash I had with the Kerbodyne decoupler? Curious if it was just me. If it matters, I was in a 200x95km orbit when it happened. I tried and failed to repeat it on the launchpad in my sandbox save (I wasn't sure what, if any, risks this might carry for my data in career mode).

In any case I'm glad I saw/tried this thread, certainly shows potential :)

If this really works, then it makes me wonder why they have not released a 64bit client.

Surely it would be better than no 64bit client if the stability issues only affects some systems.

Probably just didn't want a deluge of bug reports from those affected systems before they get a few things ironed out...

This is amazing. SQUAD absolutely NEEDS to see this thread! Someone get in contact with Rowdowser or something. Maybe the developers can learn from this so that they can be able to replicate.

Ohhhh we're aware of this thread. I've pointed out how surprisingly positive the majority of the results seem to be. I wouldn't expect replication and I'm going to take a wild guess and speculate that you won't be seeing anything for 0.24, but the tighter this stuff gets, the more I can point out the good stuff that's happening in this thread. Keep it going.

Ohhhh we're aware of this thread. I've pointed out how surprisingly positive the majority of the results seem to be. I wouldn't expect replication and I'm going to take a wild guess and speculate that you won't be seeing anything for 0.24, but the tighter this stuff gets, the more I can point out the good stuff that's happening in this thread. Keep it going.

Could I make a request that you not release a 64-bit for Windows with out having 64-bit for the other OS's?

Could I make a request that you not release a 64-bit for Windows with out having 64-bit for the other OS's?

Well, again, we're still on the same track we were before. That much hasn't changed, but the request is certainly noted.

There's already a 64-bit for Linux.

If they want, I can test it on Wine. Wine's debugging system is downright awesome with full external call logging without even having to enter full debug mode. (Hence without interrupting the program.)

One side comment, I have noticed that the UnityEngine.dll is slightly different between the 32 / 64 bit. They have the same length but on byte level they are different.

So I would suggest to replace that dll as well.

Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Managed\UnityEngine.dll <--- This

Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll <--- to here

Edited by Hamster
Formating

As the title says.....I usually crash after about two hours (Unless I revert....revert=restart game).

I reverted multiple times, changed ship focus. Only the weird graphical glitch between loads for a frame or two. I hesitate to say it feels smoother, as it may just be my excitement over being able to use several mods I had culled for memory use (B9, KW, KAS, ScanSat) without texture management. I was on the verge of using the aggressive texture management, so I actively tried to keep the memory hit as low as possible, rather than have to live with further reduced textures.

It got real stuttery just before the only crash. I can see why Squad hasn't released the 64 bit version yet. But hey, we are all voluntary Alpha testers anyway! Crashing is part of the deal!

My specs:

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5 GHz 8-core OC to 4.4 GHz

Zalman 92mm Performa CPU Cooler

Asus M5A97 LE r2.0 ATX MB

G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4) 1866MHz DDR3 Memory

Sapphire Radeon r9 270x 2Gb GDDR5 Video card

Sentry ATX mid tower case

Haswell 600w Bronze ATX PSU

Win8.1 64bit

TP-link USB wi-fi adapter

Generic Toshiba DVD/CD Burner

This works well on my all AMD system. I am surprised it was a replacement of merely two files. Amazing.

Edited by pslytely psycho
I R DUM....wrote Zalman instead of Haswell for PSU...'doh!

One side comment, I have noticed that the UnityEngine.dll is slightly different between the 32 / 64 bit. They have the same length but on byte level they are different.

So I would suggest to replace that dll as well.

Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Managed\UnityEngine.dll <--- This

Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll <--- to here

Good catch, I'm gonna give this a shot and see if that makes anything more or less stable.

As the title says.....I usually crash after about two hours (Unless I revert....revert=restart game).

I reverted multiple times, changed ship focus. Only the weird graphical glitch between loads for a frame or two. I hesitate to say it feels smoother, as it may just be my excitement over being able to use several mods I had culled for memory use (B9, KW, KAS, ScanSat) without texture management. I was on the verge of using the aggressive texture management, so I actively tried to keep the memory hit as low as possible, rather than have to live with further reduced textures.

It got real stuttery just before the only crash. I can see why Squad hasn't released the 64 bit version yet. But hey, we are all voluntary Alpha testers anyway! Crashing is part of the deal!

My specs:

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5 GHz 8-core OC to 4.4 GHz

Zalman 92mm Performa CPU Cooler

Asus M5A97 LE r2.0 ATX MB

G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4) 1866MHz DDR3 Memory

Sapphire Radeon r9 270x 2Gb GDDR5 Video card

Sentry ATX mid tower case

Zalman 600w Bronze ATX PSU

Win8.1

TP-link USB wi-fi adapter

Generic Toshiba DVD/CD Burner

This works well on my all AMD system. I am surprised it was a replacement of merely two files. Amazing.

Try turning down your OCing. You're almost adding another ghz to each processor, which is quite a bit of stress, even with that cooler.

Also, it was THIS EASY to figure out how to do 64 bit and Squad couldn't figure out how to do it?

Release it when it's ready, that's what you've always planned on doing anyway. I'm just glad we can poke around at it before official release now.

This. Just the informal poll shows a 21% failure rate,(at the time of writing, 24% now) much too high for an official release. But so cool to be able to play around with it at this time (just like the game....:sticktongue:).

It does make the idea of a fully functional 64bit KSP seem a lot more real now. For some of us, it is a godsend.

Edited by pslytely psycho

Why? Why wait to release something that's better for people, just because others don't have it? That's selfish.

It was working for me a couple minutes ago, all I did was replace the two files after backing up my vitals and run it. It was using ~2.7gb or memory (I'm not trying to push past 4gb yet). I was getting a couple of the visual artifacts at the KSC screen too but after a little while I forgot I had even done anything, played for a little over an hour mostly in the VAB... Then after making a somewhat large launch that seemed to run smoother than others of similar size / part count, I right clicked a decoupler and as soon as I clicked the blue button to activate it, the game crashed. Unity doesn't seem to have made a dump. Off to see if I can replicate it I guess. I do kind of need to use that decoupler, after all.

Edit: Yep, crashed the exact same way. Doesn't make any sense because I obviously used several decouplers on the way up, but not the same decoupler. It's the giant Kerbodyne decoupler and it crashes the game whether I stage it with spacebar or right click and activate. No idea what that means.

Edit 2: Couldn't replicate on another ship at the launchpad. More confused.

To quote the help thread for bugs,

New Decoupler (TR-38-D) causes crash when staging (linux/mac) or parts of the ship to follow around (windows) – [FIX]

When staging, the new decoupler (TR-38-D) causes a variety of problems depending on your operating system. This problem seems to be worse if struts are involved. Thanks to Kasuha, the problem was narrowed down to the physics of the decoupler and is easily fixed.

1) With a text editor (such as notepad) open up the part.cfg file for the TR-38-D. It should be located in KSP\GameData\NASAmission\Parts\Size3Decoupler\part .cfg

2) Find the line that says “PhysicsSignificance = 1†and change it to “PhysicsSignificance = 0â€Â

3) Save the file and restart KSP.

Not 64 bit related!

Also, it was THIS EASY to figure out how to do 64 bit and Squad couldn't figure out how to do it?

SQUAD doesn't make the Unity player. Unity does. Only recently has this become doable at all, because Unity x64 has historically been a buggy nightmare that no sane dev would think about including in something a customer has paid for. If we tried doing this one or two versions ago it would have barely run.

Edited by FenrirWolf

To quote the help thread for bugs,

Not 64 bit related!

Ah, I had never heard of it, thanks. After I reloaded 32bit files I figured it had to be the part in general, but odd that it fully crashed the game under 64bit and just caused fixable weird things to happen in 32bit. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I'll make that fix and continue testing. :)

Try turning down your OCing. You're almost adding another ghz to each processor, which is quite a bit of stress, even with that cooler.

I only push it that hard for KSP, The Next Car Game and GTAIV as it makes a noticeable difference. Otherwise it runs at 3.9GHz for everything else. Even at 4.4GHz it has never exceeded 164F maximum. It idles at about 75F.

I am however very pleased with that fan cooler. Great cooling for a budget price.

In my own opinion, that OC is fine. That processor can handle it so long as he manages the heat.

Squad did figure out how to do it. And they did test it. The poll at the beginning of the thread, at the time of this post, is only showing a 72% success rate for DirectX based configurations. This is not a failure rate you want to have in an official release. 64 bit KSP is not ready for official release or support yet, neither will it be for when 0.24 comes out. Not until that failure rate is less than 5%. My hunch is that we will not see an official x64 KSP until 0.25 or even 0.26.

The glitch between loading screens is the Unity player is not flushing the video buffer out while loading a scene. Which means that the x64 Unity Player, at this point, has an unconfirmed, non-game-breaking bug. This is simply my theory though, and I could be wrong on this. The cases where switching to openGL is a driver compatibility issue between Unity and the graphics driver. These cases are issues that Unity, nVidia, or AMD needs to fix, not Squad.

Knowing that you're keeping an eye on it is encouraging enough in my book. Maybe I dare hope for 0.25...

squad should release it we all know its alpha, it should just come with a disclaimer use at your own risk we are only supporting 32bit but the upside is many of us would switch and they would have real data to work from