KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Currently testing with an utterly ridiculous number of part mods installed and no ATM. I did have a few initial crashes (KSP suddenly didn't like TacFuelBalancer for some reason) but after sorting out the teething issues KSP is now running (for nearly 4 hours straight now) with maxed out settings and merrily using nearly 8 gig of my 16 gig of RAM. I am getting low FPS here and there but nothing different from 32 KSP. I do have the odd scene skipping behaviour but it's proven harmless. Thoroughly enjoying playing with ALL the mods (sort of).

How did you find out 23.5 was compiled on Unity 4.3.3? was it in one of Squad's posts or was that information in a file in the KSP install?

When you look at the properties of KSP.exe it states that the version is 4.3.3.xxxx I'm assuming that is how he based it off of.

Yep, that's how I found out.

I see the "don't work/crash" ratio is going up, but the OpenGL one has not moved an inch in 24H.

I didn't expect that.

Maybe this need a new poll to be more specific about what's wrong for people who can't run it.

I see the "don't work/crash" ratio is going up, but the OpenGL one has not moved an inch in 24H.

I didn't expect that.

Maybe this need a new poll to be more specific about what's wrong for people who can't run it.

Very cool. I'd change mine vote if I could, 4.3.3 works with 23.5. I'm going to try 4.2.2 for .23 later today, I expect it will work.

I didn't expect that.

Well i am the one with the confirmed OpenGL vote, however i just found out that DX11 works without gamebreaking bugs too for me. There are a few graphical glitches the floor in the SPH for example. But nothing i could not live with.

Also i had to reduce the aerodynamic effects quality in DX11. I had still no effort to get the game stable with DX9. I have the newest drivers installed.

It's a command line option

-force-opengl (Windows only)

Make the game use OpenGL for rendering, even if Direct3D is available. Normally Direct3D is used but OpenGL is used if Direct3D 9.0c is not available.

-force-d3d9 (Windows only)

Make the game use Direct3D 9 for rendering. This is the default, so normally there's no reason to pass it.

-force-d3d11 (Windows only)

Make the game use Direct3D 11 for rendering.

It's a command line option

-force-opengl (Windows only)

Make the game use OpenGL for rendering, even if Direct3D is available. Normally Direct3D is used but OpenGL is used if Direct3D 9.0c is not available.

-force-d3d9 (Windows only)

Make the game use Direct3D 9 for rendering. This is the default, so normally there's no reason to pass it.

-force-d3d11 (Windows only)

Make the game use Direct3D 11 for rendering.

Direct3D 11? Now this is interesting. I wonder how well it works. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to try this soon because I'll be away from my gaming rig for a week.

Just tried it out. Works amazing.

-Stock, no mods, fresh install works perfectly fine, much higher framerate, much smoother in general. Just a bit of screen-flashing in physical time warp was all I could notice when it comes to bugs.

-Tried adding all mods from my current install (19, including EVE, Better Athmospheres, distant object enhancemet, B9 and texture replacer) without the Active Texture Management, and it worked fine.

-Tried launching a huge ship, that brought the stock game down to a slideshow, with all the mods, and it wasn't more of a slideshow than on 32 bit stock.

Love it. I will definitely post if I encounter any more bugs though.

i have tried this and it's working without problems on directx11 :)

a suggestion: by opening the unity installer with 7zip, you can acces the two files without wasting time installing and removing unity.

they can be found inside $_OUTDIR\windows64standaloneplayer\ and $_OUTDIR\windows64standaloneplayer\Data\Mono\

a suggestion: by opening the unity installer with 7zip, you can acces the two files without wasting time installing and removing unity.

they can be found inside $_OUTDIR\windows64standaloneplayer\ and $_OUTDIR\windows64standaloneplayer\Data\Mono\

Wow, that's a pro tip, should go to the first page. :)

Just wanted to post my experience getting the 64bit Unity Player working with KSP. Simply followed the first post instructions (although I replaced the entire Mono folder with the one from the 64bit Unity Player and updated UnityEngine.dll as well), started the game with all of the mods I use installed (Interstellar, KAS, NovaPunch, Firespitter, KW, EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, Kethane and many others - can get a full list with versions if it ends up being needed for any reason).

First launch of the game crashed as soon as it tried to go to the title screen. Checked the crash log and the stack trace was referencing Kethane (small snippet):

(0x0000000083A1E0AD) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Kethane.EnumerableExtensions/<AdjacentPairs>d__0`1<Kethane.Cell>:MoveNext () + 0x1ad (0000000083A1DF00 0000000083A1E13A) [0000000004F04D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

Axe-murdered Kethane... runs beautifully with Environmental Visual Enhancements, Clouds (not sure about City Lights, removed them from my install).

Conversely, Kethane seems to work just fine if EVE is removed.

Lilleman - You are a scholar and a gentle(insert appropriate gender-specific term). Spectacular work!

@CluckingMad: Thanks!

Also, I have those two mods working together with my KSP install, with a LOT of bugs tracked in KSP.log. In game it seems to work anyway.

So this is not a conflict between those two mods in particular.

@FenrirWolf: No benefits, only glitch and framerate drop for now apparently. Better stick with the Directx9 (default) version.

I won't be able to check this forum for a while (until next Sunday, actually), taking a vacation.

Is there anything I've forgot that should be put on the first page?

Should I change the Poll?