KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Uninstalll b9

That`s all? :o

Will give it another try tomorrow then without b9 and see how it goes.

Some of the mods not working I tracked back to PartCatalog not load the mod and/or parts:

PartCatalog 3.0_RC4 is not compatible with:

Fustek 0_04-4 dev

RemoteTech-v1.4.0

FireSpitter 6.3.1

For some reason Part Catalogus hides all the parts of these 3 mods

Getting RemoteTech 2 & Firespitter working at the same time was a nice bonus

Left a message but some one else might be trying in this thread why some don`t work, will also post it in the "working mods" thread.

Edited by Kamuchi

Atempted to use this to play 64bit KSP, my results are as follows:

Stock KSP, works fine tried to load into the kerbal recruitment place, but then changed to right scene. No other issues seen.

Modded Content, crashed on loading a stock autosaved craft file Will experiment more with modded content, but found that Helldrivers KSO mod works much better in 64bit.

Quick in dry tests only tried once with modded content may have been the soundtrack mod that made it crash as it added in a file to the mono folder. Will do more testing at a later time, and post results here.

Soundtrack Replacer absolutely will not work, because of the addition to the mono folder. That is one of the very few absolutely incompatible mods..the rest are very hit and miss varying from user to user

As all I see now on the download list and download redirect is the 4.3.0, here is the direct link:

http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/UnitySetup-4.3.3.exe

Not good, it may be on the verge of being taken down. If you have any interest at all in trying out 64 bit, grab it NOW, because no one here can upload the files legally AFAIK.

Though I have to say, after a couple weeks of this; I am on the verge of going back to 32 bit.. spending 99% of your time testing mods and pouring over crash logs is not fun. I've almost forgotten what it was like to really get into the game. The maddening thing is that it is after all this time, I still have not figured out any rhyme or reason for the instability: You can get a crash, isolate what caused it, roll back to the last stable install, and STILL get the same crash... then you can install another mod on top of the install that caused the original crash, and then its gone.

64 Bit KSP is looking more and more like a shiny car you keep in the garage, because it is always just one more job away from running well, while the old Corolla in the driveway gets you to work. Avoid the headaches, use ATM and 32 bit...

Edited by Bloodbunny

I agree with you bloodbunny its so close yet so far lets hope by the 0.24 release Squad has thrown some resources at it after monitoring this thread and released an alpha x64 client for windows. I really do hope they get off DX 9 its such a memory pig i forced my 32bit install into opengl mode and it saves lots of memory but i take a performance hit on some things but performs without crashing as much.

Right click your short cut and go properties in the target window after the last quotation mark put a space then the command

For example I use steam so mine looks like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -force-opengl

Currently I'm running KSP on 32-bit and OpenGl. That saves a lot of memory and thus works well with all my mods installed (70, to be precise, with ATM only for the mipmaps) and crashes less than 64-bit with any of the engines, without the annoying little bugs like the missing decoupler force.

So, with OpenGL I'm quite happy without 64-bit for now.

I think Squad shouldn't focus on 64-bit and instead optimize the texture loading (so that not every single texture is loaded when starting the game and remains in the memory regardless of whether it is ever needed), incorporate something like ActiveTextureManagment (FYI: ATM is published und MIT license, therefor Squad could incorporate it into the main game even without any additional permission) and, optionally, set OpenGL as standart - that would fix 95% of all memory issues, now and in the future, with significantly less effort.

Why can't squad have KSP32.exe and KSP64.exe in the main folder? that way people have the choice of ether running from the same game files.

As soon as they add 64-bit, they will probably do it just like that - the Linux version also has two binaries for 32- and 64-bit.

Why can't squad have KSP32.exe and KSP64.exe in the main folder? that way people have the choice of ether running from the same game files.

Because decouplers dont work in x64.

.......................................KSP on 32-bit and OpenGl. That saves a lot of memory ............................

hi !

Based on game with this mod :

-firespitter
-NASAmission
-SpaceplanePlus
-Squad
-Toadicus Tools
-TweakableEverything
(this is a modding test config)

With a GTX 560m

791800K in opengl.

1725760K in directx11.

tested on start window game. after one minute game load.

I have one question they are difference quality between openGl and directx ?

For me it's a better solution than 64bit like said Eisfunke combined with ATM it's great !!

bye !

Ya they do.

No, they do not, try setting up very simple test craft with probe core, decoupler and small part connected to decoupler. After decoupling (via staging or manually) there will be force applied but with wrong force vector, resulting with (depending on vessel) either explosion or no visible force applied. Whole decouple() function is atm glitched in x64, working maybe 5% times (And rendering mods like PF or KAS pretty much unusable).

If they would there wouldn't be few pages of this thread looking for decouple() hotfix.

hi !

Based on game with this mod :

-firespitter
-NASAmission
-SpaceplanePlus
-Squad
-Toadicus Tools
-TweakableEverything
(this is a modding test config)

With a GTX 560m

791800K in opengl.

1725760K in directx11.

[...]

Well, that's great! I just tried myself with the following mods:

MmVWJGhl.png

...where "Custom" is my custom ATM configuration.

OpenGL: 2,266,200K ≈ 2.16 GiB

DirectX: Crashes while loading at about 3,223,600K ≈ 3.07GiB

Difference: 0.91GiB

So, I don't know why, but using OpenGL saves me almost a whole Gigabyte with my huge amount of mods.

[...]

I have one question they are difference quality between openGl and directx ?

[...]

Some people say yes, but personally, I don't see any difference. I would prefer OpenGL anyway because it's open-source.

Edited by technicalfool
Just a test, nothing changed, please ignore.

I added a lot of mods then I saw major performance issues. I'm checking to see what keeps killing my performance. I keep guessing it's soundtrack editor, chatterer, and rcs sounds.

So far I have tested Full Graphics, stock parts only, no ATM, only with E.V.E. and Astronomers Visual Pack. Absolutely no performance issues. Next I'm adding distant objects, then real chutes, then KSO, then KW, then the version of FUSTEK before the latest version testing each one individually

I figure if I keep the plugins very low and only a hand full of part mods I should be good. the 64 bits will allow KSP room for working.

Works exceptionally so far.

I added a lot of mods then I saw major performance issues. I'm checking to see what keeps killing my performance. I keep guessing it's soundtrack editor, chatterer, and rcs sounds.

Out of those, I'd guess Soundtrack Editor, as from memory that changes the Mono file used by KSP.

I tried installing KSO but then KSP/64 hack crashes. Anyone else have a similar experience?

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it. I had somehow installed hayamoto's version of RPM as well. They conflicted, so uninstalling hayamoto's version fixed the problem. :)

Edited by Eskandare