KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

To the OP - congratulations making this a priority for Squad.
It looks like you pulled a multiplayer OP, nice work!
Well done inspiring Squad to make this official!

Did I miss an announcement or are we going by the Steam file reports?

A little disappointed personally that it takes stuff like this to get the developer to.. develop..

Yeah who knew that people fiddling around in their spare time would find this faster than the developers who are working night and day on all the other stuff in the game that has nothing to do with 64 bit support?

I don't think I have anything to do with this, at least I hope so.

Also, I hope I didn't rushed the devs into a direction they didn't want to follow. After all, this 64-bits version would certainly have come naturally, as Squad test a new build for every release.

At the time 0.23.5 came out, various drivers were differents, and you've seen how random Unity64 is with recent ones.

So, to all the Squad's team: I apologize if I ruined a surprise, and for the huge amount of emails you probably had because of this thread.

The best thing to do now is to close this topic to avoid confusion with real support once 0.24 will be released.

Thanks again to everyone who tried and leaved a comment!

Edited by Lilleman

To be honest, I really do think that this thread at least made Harv & Co sit up and see that x64 is entirely doable with Unity. Given the amount of bugs, uncertainty and YMMV with this hack, it's for sure not going to be anything close to official but at least it shows that it can be done and if it's a stock game, then it's stable.

Also, not unrelated to the above, I think it's the plugins that crash this hack. That is probably a 'well, duh..' moment for me, but part packs seem to handle fine but once you start adding in things that change the gameplay, that's when you get YMMV crashes.

Hey Lilleman!

Just dropping by your thread to give you props. 64 bit development had been something we were working on on our spare time and behind the scenes for... a long time now! Like there was talk of small cleanup and fixes the day I was hired back in May 2013. (I've been here over a year now, wow) but due to the significantly higher expectations that the community has taken over our development, we felt 64 bit was still rather unstable and not really ready to be brought kicking and screaming into the public eye. Work continued on and off, with the release of 23.5 marking another 'yeah its not really showable yet'. Yet here you came! Enterprising and quite the explorer like most of our players seem to be, and you figured out how to access the work that had been done on the 64 bit client without having to wait for us to make it public.

This thread has been monitored constantly and quietly since you showed it to the world, and the response was far beyond our expectations. Thanks to this we've now grown confident enough to bring our work on the 64 bit version to the general public. Granted, it is very much at an experimental state and bugs in 32 bit will be prioritized, but consider this an eye opening experience and a thank you for helping us in seeing that sometimes we can show you guys the sausage production facilities and not have it end up with everyone hating hotdogs.

okay now this is starting to become annoying. It had been running fine until just now. It jumps from one mod to another then itself. I've replaced every file and it is still being caused. Anyone have any ideas?

hjXiltq.png

For some reason the section of the output file kept corrupting the forum, even when using the code tags.

Edited by Eskandare

Hey Lilleman!

Just dropping by your thread to give you props. 64 bit development had been something we were working on on our spare time and behind the scenes for... a long time now! Like there was talk of small cleanup and fixes the day I was hired back in May 2013. (I've been here over a year now, wow) but due to the significantly higher expectations that the community has taken over our development, we felt 64 bit was still rather unstable and not really ready to be brought kicking and screaming into the public eye. Work continued on and off, with the release of 23.5 marking another 'yeah its not really showable yet'. Yet here you came! Enterprising and quite the explorer like most of our players seem to be, and you figured out how to access the work that had been done on the 64 bit client without having to wait for us to make it public.

This thread has been monitored constantly and quietly since you showed it to the world, and the response was far beyond our expectations. Thanks to this we've now grown confident enough to bring our work on the 64 bit version to the general public. Granted, it is very much at an experimental state and bugs in 32 bit will be prioritized, but consider this an eye opening experience and a thank you for helping us in seeing that sometimes we can show you guys the sausage production facilities and not have it end up with everyone hating hotdogs.

Awesome. I really wasn't looking forward to downloading another version of the Unity dev environment when .24 came out! lol

I am officially impressed .24 release will include 64bit executable and Lilleman was acknowledged for his efforts win win for everyone. I agree with Lilleman this thread could be closed as it will be replaced with an official 64bit one

Hey Lilleman!

Thankyou for your hard work on the 64 bit version. It completely changes my gaming experience for the better! and thankyou Lilleman for figuring it out so everyone could get their Christmas presents early!

Hey Lilleman!

I have mixed feelings: I'm really glad you found something useful in this thread. And I'm very excited to see how this will work. However, I din't wanted to spoil your work (plus, in a lame and buggy way). And I didn't meant to give you so much work before the 0.24 release. So, again, sorry about that.

Thanks for answering, I can't wait for the release!

Hey Lilleman!

I have mixed feelings: I'm really glad you found something useful in this thread. And I'm very excited to see how this will work. However, I din't wanted to spoil your work (plus, in a lame and buggy way). And I didn't meant to give you so much work before the 0.24 release. So, again, sorry about that.

Thanks for answering, I can't wait for the release!

this is simply the coolest dev/community interaction is have ever seen.

A little disappointed personally that it takes stuff like this to get the developer to.. develop..

I don't think so. I think it's a good sign they are watching and caring about the community.

Well, as I didn't find any other thread about the OpenGL memory fix, I'm going to start a thread to let people know that this can help tremendously, if there are no objections.

I will edit the link into this post then. Edit: The thread is up, click here!

Edited by Eisfunke
Added the link.

I have no objection, this might be a useful trick. This definitely need some investigation.

Also, I'm curious about the graphics differences, as I didn't noticed anything except for the antialiasing.

You are confusing coincidence and causality. Lilleman's efforts won't have caused Squad to produce their competing version: there is no way they could produce a bug-free 64-bit build in 2 weeks just in order to spite him. They would have had to have been working on developing it for some time before that, and it's coming out now because this is the first time they think it is stable enough to release. If anything, it will have been a Unity release that enabled both Lilleman's efforts to work so well and enabled Squad to get their version working well enough for them to release it.

In the big scheme of things a 64-bit player is a minority desire. Plenty of bigger, more pressing inclusions and fixes to settle right now. So what this thread did was give Squad a manpower-free beta test for a sideline inclusion, and it cost Squad 0 time to consider, code, test, deploy, gauge reception, tweak and fix. The bulk of that was done by the community for them.

So in that sense yeah, it takes stuff like this to get stuff like this developed. KSP's still in alpha, it's not like the community's been rattling Squad's chains for years trying to push for a 64-bit player post-launch. The bulk of players don't even come to this message board, and I'm sure the vast majority of players haven't even hit the memory ceiling that those wanting a 64-bit player fuss about here.

Edited by Franklin

... it cost Squad 0 time to consider, code, test, deploy, gauge reception, tweak and fix ...

I really doubt that! 28% of people who voted stated that they had significant bugs or crashes. There is NO WAY Squad would release a 64-bit version that was a buggy as that! If they are releasing a 640bit version then that means they have done work to make sure that those 28% of players won't see those crashes: they would have had to test, track down bugs, fix any 64-bit-hostile code, and test again. This thread would not have made that process any easier - to fix that sort of bug you need high-quality reports with game-saves, craft files, mod lists and crash dumps.

I am afraid this thread while interesting, is very unlikely to have influenced Squad. They have wanted to release a 64-bit version for a long time: it just took this long for Unity to get their act together and build a game engine that is reliable enough that Squad can generate working code code. I am quite certain that Squad have been working on 64-bit in the background, and that it is coincidence that it is announced so soon after this thread was created.

I am afraid this thread while interesting, is very unlikely to have influenced Squad.

...but:

Hey Lilleman!

(psst here are my other characters to get over 10)

I am quite certain that Squad have been working on 64-bit in the background, and that it is coincidence that it is announced so soon after this thread was created.

Hey Lilleman! you figured out how to access the work that had been done on the 64 bit client without having to wait for us to make it public.

This thread has been monitored constantly and quietly since you showed it to the world, and the response was far beyond our expectations. Thanks to this we've now grown confident enough to bring our work on the 64 bit version to the general public.

Granted, it is very much at an experimental state and bugs in 32 bit will be prioritized, but consider this an eye opening experience and a thank you for helping us in seeing that sometimes we can show you guys the sausage production facilities and not have it end up with everyone hating hotdogs.

Yes, Maxmaps confirmed that it has been a side project while the main game is being created. Squad decided the community would accept the buggy, randomly unstable 64bit and acknowledged Lilleman as being the reason that it is being released now. So he did influence them with his nifty 007 sleuthing!

They withheld it because they thought the community would not like it. Lillieman merely found the player they have been working with. The 64 bit release will pretty much be what we found here. It is still a work in progress.

I assume the 64bit will be an option with a clearly stated warning for the majority of players who simply don't visit the forums.

Personally, I'm more excited at the Unity announcement that Unity 5 will have multi-threaded physX!

[Edit] Ninja'd by the 5thHorseman!!