KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

My personal findings so far.

The game comes to a complete standstill with the time warp set either the highest or second to highest setting. What is stranger so far is there is no specific error popping up in the debug.

I had this bug also. I tracked it down to an issue with Crew Manifest. I think I was running an old version. I switched over the Ship Manifest and the issue was solved.

Is anybody else having decoupler trouble with this hack? My parts will decouple but there is no ejection force at all. This happens with in line and radial decouplers as well as all fairings.

I've experienced this as well. At first I thought it was a problem with pfairings but then I realized all my decouplers were having the same problem. From what I've seen the issue only presents when you stage a decoupler. Manually triggered, the decouplers seem to work fine, though it is a bit tedious.

With the TR-2C Stack Separator whether i decouple manually or with the spacebar the game crashes

Edited by kookoo_gr

Does anyone else have a bug where the orbits in map view "shake" when changing the camera angle.

Also, starting a new game will cause the game to get stuck in the menu. Loading games is fine though.

Thoughts?

Does anyone else have a bug where the orbits in map view "shake" when changing the camera angle.

Also, starting a new game will cause the game to get stuck in the menu. Loading games is fine though.

Thoughts?

I have that, but that's in both 32 and 64 bit system. So generic "bug" - could be that it's related to Mechjeb.

I had this bug also. I tracked it down to an issue with Crew Manifest. I think I was running an old version. I switched over the Ship Manifest and the issue was solved.

Good find i'll take a look later as I do have crew manifest in my directory possible older as well. I'll report my findings later today.

I did a quick test, stock on directx, and it went without problems. Only a few very minor graphics glitches.

A thought: how certain is it that crashes are caused by ksp and not the 64bit Unity player?

Alright, this will be my progress report post. This is solely for troubleshooting attempts and their success/failure

PROGRESS REPORT 1 The game has started with no errors. I am doing this test on a clean install with no mods. I am running the game without forcing either DirectX or OpenGL.

PROGRESS REPORT 2 I have started a new save. The flashes reported in OP are there, but they do no harm. I am launching a test rocket now to see if that's affected.

PROGRESS REPORT 3 Maybe it's just me, but it seems the framerate has gone up by quite a bit. Launch is very smooth. Current RAM usage is at about 1.66GB.

PROGRESS REPORT 4 Alright, the reported decoupler bug is here. IDK what to do, but my ship's working anyway.

PROGRESS REPORT 5 YAY! After re-copying the files, the decouplers work! Now to test mods on another report!

FINAL RESULT After a small bug, the game was fixed. In another post, I will test a few simple mods.

I've tried everything and I just can't get the decoupler problem to go away. Did you just re-copy the unity files or was there something else?

ksp interstellar doesn't work for me

edit: strange thing, it doesn't work alone, but with a bunvh of other mod, it works. i will try to pinpoint the issue

Well it looks like this at first, but the crashes are random, sometimes there are no issues at all sometimes there are. I have the same problem with interstellar :/

So far so good :D (as in no crashes that the 32bit version does not already do) 64bit DirectX9 version. :cool:

Memory usage so far:

211231e2-be26-4516-bcc4-9db83e33fdae_zps38c0b43b.png

Mods folder:

kerbaladdons_zps3ab761db.png

Edited by aramil

In the process of re-installing KSP 23.5 to patch in the x64 hack. Deleted ~1.55GB of data, but steam is only downloading ~0.5GB... Looks like I wasn't thorough with moving my mods in and out ^^;

Tonight's aim is to put a clean install in and then test the x64 hack runs on my machine: Dell XPS17, 16GB corsair DDR3 RAM, Nvidia555M GPU, Intel i7-2820QM CPU, windows 7 x64 home premium OS, HDD with the KSP install is a Crucial CT960 M500 SSD.

Now to wait for the downloads to finish... Time to watch

Scot Manley!

Right the x32 install is done and stable at ~1.5GB of RAM, now to apply the x64 parts...

Aww yiss! Got the x64 Unity engine moved in and the corresponding mono.dll, and I have the glorious trifecta of Bob, Bill and Jebediah staring at me over the loading bar!

Right install seems stable, and I have replicated the separator glitch with stock rockets.

So this weekend I shall a) Get that annoying glitch debugged (hopefully) and then spend the best part of the weekend moving mods in and out, checking cross compatibility, and seeing how MODs with dependencies such as EVE, Fustek, modular storage and Interstellar get on in a brave, new x64 world! All whilst documenting my results for all of Kerbal kind <3

So exciting! Any ideas or requests for my meddling, please let me know and I shall endeavor to accommodate :)

Quick Question: Since doing this I have noticed (because it is impossible not to) That my right click and left click on my ships to activate things like remote tech or science parts only works like 5% of the time. I generally have to sit there spam right clicking to get the window open, once it is open everything works fine. Any idea on what is going wrong? Note this is on my realism overhaul playthrough.

Here is my modlist in case anyone knows which mod it is or how to fix it.

Toolbar

AJE Advanced Jet Engines (.23 build)

AIES

Active Texture Management (Basic)

Bobcat (soviet Engines)

BT Engines

Chatterer

Custom biomes

Deadly re-entry

Editor Extensions

Extraplanetary launchpads

Kerbal Engineer

Enhanced navball

FASA

FAR

Firespitter

Kerbal Space Industries

Raster Prop Monitor

KAS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Procedural fairings

Kosmos

KSO

KW Rocketry

TAC life support

Infernal Robotics

Mech jeb 2

Hot rockets

Docking port alignment indicator

Final frontier

Nova punch 2

Open resource system

Part catalog

Precise node

Procedural Dynamics

rRal Chute

Real Fuels

RFTS

Realism Overhaul

Real Solar System

Remote Tech 2

RLA Stockalike

Realistic Progression Lite

Tree loader

Enviornmental Visual Enhancements (Low)

Lazor System

Scan Sat

Stretchy SRB: Stretchy Tank continuation

And Texture pack in same forum post: Planeguy868

KSP Interstellar

VOID

TAC Life Support

Tac Fuel Balancer

ScanSat

BT engine pack

F1 engine replica

Kerbx

Rosmos Spacecraft bureau

So I've been testing this for about a week now and I'd say I know my **** when I say this:

Using forced d3d11 I get a stable game but aerodynamic effects make the craft turn wholly purple in such a way that it seems it cannot find the textures. Using forced opengl, this is not an issue but running -popupwindow and switching applications I get some nasty flickering for about a second. I'm running with Realism Overhaul and the 64-bit binaries and libraries seem to affect the fairing-mods, such as kw and procedural fairings. The side fairings themselves have no ejection force whatsoever. When switched to 32-bit, everything works fine.

Addition for the "known bugs" section: it seems that previously reported minor issue of not being able to switch tabs in browser or control other applications while KSPx64 is running may also persist for some time after the game is closed. Looks like mouse bugs out and LMB works as RMB in some cases (or doesn't work at all). It gets back to normal if you click RMB a couple of times - LMB starts working again after that.

I was running active texture reduction planet factory CE and far. When in map view I had the strange bug that whenever I moved inside the map view, Kerbin(were I was orbiting) started to jump whenever I moved the view point. I appears to be lag between the view in space view and kerbin's location. it's not game breaking but I thought I'd mention.

I'm running with Realism Overhaul and the 64-bit binaries and libraries seem to affect the fairing-mods, such as kw and procedural fairings. The side fairings themselves have no ejection force whatsoever. When switched to 32-bit, everything works fine.

I believe the issue is with decouplers as a whole, not just fairings. One way I have them working normally is to trigger manually, staging with the space key seems to invoke the issue.

I may have found what is preventing EVE from working properly in many cases (if not most). Planet Factory, if you have it, will cause EVE to become nonfunctional. If you want EVE to work, you will have to remove PF. (Planet Factory itself still seems to work, though)

Two small bugs I have noticed:

The kethane control panel doesn't work. It just shows up two green top/bottom end-caps instead of the panel.

For some reason, I get a little flash of the hiring room between each scene change.

Edit: And the game randomly crashes when loading certain ships.

Edit2: Even going on EVA can sometimes cause a crash.

Edit3: Even when EVA works, it randomly crashes.

Edited by Shalashalska

Worked well for me only had a single crash, went from a mere 2 GB of ram usage to 7.8 upon loading KSP with the bevy of mods installed (including the community b9 areospace, FAR, novapunch, and several others).

Side note the flickering seems to be the astronaut hiring screen popping up every time to load a new scene.

Tried to run it - works like sharm (aside from minor glitches like mentioned in the OP) at ~7Gb for DX9 version (cmd line: ksp.exe -popupwindow). DX11 version was a bit glitchy (lack of shader for reentry a.k.a. "pink vessel", shadows glitches, "jumpy" letters in the context menus), consumed A LOT less memory (same install was running just under 4Gb vs ~7Gb for DX9), but otherwise OK - nothing game-breaking.

System specs:

i7 3930K @3.8Ghz

32Gb RAM 2400MHz

2xGeForce 680 GTX SLI

Win7 Ultimate (obviously 64bit)

I did replace UnityEngine.dll as well just in case.

On the weekend I'm gonna try installing the hell out of mods to see if it works - since I got 32Gb of RAM, I can put in just about any mod out there :D