KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

What do you guys think the odds are that Squad will have fixed the zero decoupler force bug with the .24 release?

Dont quote me on this, but as far as i know - this is bug related to Unity 4.3.3, fixed in Unity 4.5, not with Kerbal itself, so it's probably "fixed" already.

Although, would be nice to get confirm from Squad (Or at least word that they know about this bug).

Hi,

I will give this a go ...

I guess the RAM limitation is still there...I get a start at about 3.2Gigs and over an hour of gameplay before I have to restart which is good for me; the game slowly adds to the RAM; I am looking a bit for performance improvement.

I miss KSP ...

Zeta

Howdi,

It works ! Forced Dx11 Win7 64bit !!

Mods: MechJ, PF but the one where Serious in in a folder that can be deleted, added a few more planet packs, asteroid mod works !! Treeloader works but I forgot the keys so I will be streamin Career mode again soon startin all over; I didnt get far anyways.

Cdr Zeta

Howdi,

It works ! Forced Dx11 Win7 64bit !!

Mods: MechJ, PF but the one where Serious in in a folder that can be deleted, added a few more planet packs, asteroid mod works !! Treeloader works but I forgot the keys so I will be streamin Career mode again soon startin all over; I didnt get far anyways.

Cdr Zeta

Did it fix the decoupler bug?

Hi,

I read about this...I can check it but I read the Unity version affects this and they said 4.5+ versions wont work with KSP so I didnt try that.

My issue now is that in this mode with dx11 my graphics card was hitting 45deg C; last nite it hit 50 somthin and I just started the game...with dx9 32bit the temp is hittin 36 on the gfx card; I will try dx9 and 64bit and do a decouple or 2 ...

As for treeloader - well it works now cause I didnt have tree-edit in...mods lol and I got them in a plugins folder; I just had to wait for it to load I have no patience sometimes.

cdr zeta

What do you guys think the odds are that Squad will have fixed the zero decoupler force bug with the .24 release?

....So it was a bug all along that ruined my videos? :huh: I was sitting here editing config files too!.

Hi,

I guess - definitely no ejection force.

Also my temps on the cpu didnt change appreciably; I am not seeing any benefit; the gfx card still ran a tad warmer about 37deg.

I was glad to try this. Either way the CPU runs hot in this game; more than any MMO I play. As for the GFX I would stick with dx9; I had glitches in dx11 and the gfx card definitely runs hotter; not that it cant handle it but why take the risk when there is no benefit to be seen from my end anyways.

I thought Unity was 'NOT' 64 bit? I dont think this works.

Cdr Zeta

Hi,

I read about this...I can check it but I read the Unity version affects this and they said 4.5+ versions wont work with KSP so I didnt try that.

My issue now is that in this mode with dx11 my graphics card was hitting 45deg C; last nite it hit 50 somthin and I just started the game...with dx9 32bit the temp is hittin 36 on the gfx card; I will try dx9 and 64bit and do a decouple or 2 ...

As for treeloader - well it works now cause I didnt have tree-edit in...mods lol and I got them in a plugins folder; I just had to wait for it to load I have no patience sometimes.

cdr zeta

This sounds funny had to comment on it !!! I usually run at 60-65C on my gfx under KSP, given the fact how heavy the engine can be you either playing it only up to the menu screen or your readings are wrong or you have a full time water cooling at max(and you still cant play at 36C nomatter what).

I'm not using those files as my game crashed. But I did find the game running almost perfect when the force dx11 parameter was used. I do get strange graphical glitches though. Here is what I'm talking about. Only happens in the plane hangar. Also, game has some minor graphical flickering.dfrf.png

Edited by Furious1964

This sounds funny had to comment on it !!! I usually run at 60-65C on my gfx under KSP, given the fact how heavy the engine can be you either playing it only up to the menu screen or your readings are wrong or you have a full time water cooling at max(and you still cant play at 36C nomatter what).

I've never seen higher than 40c on my 750ti. If i stuck the fan on max i could probably get it to 35/6.

@Cdr_Zeta: About the graphics cards temperatures: I don't think the API has an influence on this. It just depends on how heavy to render the scene is. But just to give some values: the previous generation of nVidia's cards had their limit temperature fixed at 90°C (Geforce 6xx), for the current generation it's 80°C (Geforce 7xx, except for 750ti, wich is a new generation GPU). This is just the temperature when the card stop his automatic overclocking, and speed up his cooler.

To give an idea: my graphic card run smoothy at 40°C when in space, but almost hit this 80°C limit on heavy launches (especially with clouds and Hot/CoolRockets).

Maybe you can try the frame limiter or the VSync.

And decouplers aren't that broken, they just work in a very mysterious way now.

@Furious 1964: there are many graphical glitches left with DX11. The best option is still to use DX9 (launch the game without argument). If you encounter crashes, OpenGL has minor glitches, but less noticeable.

@Linear: The 750Ti was supposed to come out with a new generation of nVidia's GPU, it's very power-efficient, and do not heat much.

@Overfloater: You can give it a try, but I don't think this will work very well (if at all), especially if you use mods. Be sure to have a backup of your KSP directory, and to download the correct version of the Unity Editor to get the files (check KSP.exe properties>version details).

I admit I kinda give up on the "support" on this since the official 64bits announcement. But actually it might be useful for those who want to keep the 0.23.5 for a while, so, again, if you guys feels anything should be added in front page to make things clearer/easier to debug/support, I'm open to any suggestion.

About mods: you can try an older version of a mod, if you don't have one working properly. For example, KAC don't work correctly with his lastest version, but the previous one works flawlessly.

Have the latest version of Unity and run it with the force openGL parameter now and there are no more graphical glitches in the hangar. 😊

And it runs with just using 3 GB of memory.

Edited by Furious1964

Hey Lilleman!

Just dropping by your thread to give you props. 64 bit development had been something we were working on on our spare time and behind the scenes for... a long time now! Like there was talk of small cleanup and fixes the day I was hired back in May 2013. (I've been here over a year now, wow) but due to the significantly higher expectations that the community has taken over our development, we felt 64 bit was still rather unstable and not really ready to be brought kicking and screaming into the public eye. Work continued on and off, with the release of 23.5 marking another 'yeah its not really showable yet'. Yet here you came! Enterprising and quite the explorer like most of our players seem to be, and you figured out how to access the work that had been done on the 64 bit client without having to wait for us to make it public.

This thread has been monitored constantly and quietly since you showed it to the world, and the response was far beyond our expectations. Thanks to this we've now grown confident enough to bring our work on the 64 bit version to the general public. Granted, it is very much at an experimental state and bugs in 32 bit will be prioritized, but consider this an eye opening experience and a thank you for helping us in seeing that sometimes we can show you guys the sausage production facilities and not have it end up with everyone hating hotdogs.

Thank you. I am a systems integrator professionally and I have been able to get mods I wrote and have not published and many others have that are questionable to work just fine on the 32 bit version. I have to trade so much for lack of RAM. This was my single highest priority and why I have laid back and not written or done much in six months.

Running it around 4.2 GB Ram for 4h with no CTDs or any other bug, only thing is the astronaut complex background on screen switches, but that's nothing :) Ty for the HUGE game improvment.

lol... first i didnt even want to try it as i've read it gives no FPS improvement but today i finally managed to do it. man, i love you :) if has fixed a few physix glitches (not perfectly but items falling/hanging through the mun surface is less likely to happen) and gave a MAJOR improvement when switching between complex vessels

"only thing is the astronaut complex background on screen switches, but that's nothing" same here...