Able to lock quicksaving

If you are me, you hate quicksaving because it is technically cheating, yet you can't resist the urge to do it anyway since you don't want to crash or mess up. So this led me to think. In the options menu, or when creating a new save, you should be able to lock the quicksave feature permanently so you aren't tempted to do it.

What you can do is start a new save, then open your persistence file. After this an option near the top underneath the flight line should say CanQuickSave = True. Change the True to False and do the same with the next line down. This should disable quicksave/quickload.

i dont see why this shouldnt be an option in the normal game. it might even validate some things ive seen people do. much more impressive if you know for sure they have not quicksaved 20 times to do something cool.

This would be somewhat convenient. I've been considering playing perma-death in the future, but to avoid quick saving I was planning on changing it in the persistence. Having the ability to turn it off in a nice GUI environment is always a plus.

i dont see why this shouldnt be an option in the normal game. it might even validate some things ive seen people do. much more impressive if you know for sure they have not quicksaved 20 times to do something cool.

To be honest, unless you disable all saving and loading, you still won't know for certain. They could set things up, exit the program, back up the save file, start the program again, and try it. If they fail, exit, restore the save, and try again.

I completely agree, even mainstream games like the Elder Scroll have this kind of options in the GUI. This is enough of a proof to me that this is a basic thing that should be let to the user to custom (I mean, EVEN Bethesda think of implementing that).

One more thing, if you know how to load an autosave (I don't :blush:), you can disable auto save.

{
FLIGHT
{
CanQuickSave = False /*cannot Quicksave. TRUE is default
CanQuickLoad = False /* cannot Quickload, I recommend that you do it, not to zap your whole progress ;-) TRUE is default
CanAutoSave = False /* Cannot autosave, for some reason, I also turn it off on my permadeath game. TRUE is default
CanUseMap = True /* False if you are a cyber commando/a number cruncher with mad piloting skills. TRUE is default
CanSwitchVesselsNear = True
CanSwitchVesselsFar = True
CanTimeWarpHigh = True
CanTimeWarpLow = True
CanEVA = True
CanIVA = True
CanBoard = True
CanRestart = False /* Revert to launch : What's permadeath with a time machine that activates just before your doom ? TRUE is default
CanLeaveToEditor = False /* Revert to VAB/SPH TRUE is default
CanLeaveToTrackingStation = True /* Keep that TRUE (default) ! Or if you don't, I'm just not responsible, it could be disastrous for gameplay.
CanLeaveToSpaceCenter = True /* The same as above. TRUE is default
CanLeaveToMainMenu = False /* FALSE as default. I never tested it as TRUE, but maybe it could be useful... unless it doesn't save.
}
[...]

DIFFICULTY
{
MissingCrewsRespawn = False /* only useful if you want permadeath, again. Otherwise, crew is "missing in action and respawns anyway. TRUE is default
}
PARAMETERS

Don't forget to NOT copy my commentaries in your persistent.sfs :wink:

Edited by Vindelle_Sunveam
I wrote Spioler in my tags TT_TT

The thing is, even in the persistence file you can turn quicksaving back on whenever you want. I'm suggestion that when you create a new save, or in the options menu, you can turn off quicksave, and then it is permanently locked no matter what.

The thing is, even in the persistence file you can turn quicksaving back on whenever you want. I'm suggestion that when you create a new save, or in the options menu, you can turn off quicksave, and then it is permanently locked no matter what.

When you create a new save, you create a new persistence file. Guess where are all settings with which you created it stored?

Yes, the persistence file is editable. You can do anything with it, give yourself a million science points, add ships that weren't there, delete ships, move them into new orbit, travel in time, resurrect dead Kerbals, you can do anything.

Little would change if it was a binary file - it'd be just exercise for "hackers" to create a few tools that'll allow you doing the same in that binary.

The point is, when you cheat, you just cheat on yourself. Nobody else cares.

The thing is, even in the persistence file you can turn quicksaving back on whenever you want. snip

Then, if you can't even conform to that, which isn't a problem of habit, Sirrobert's point enters the game : it's probably up to you as you seem unable to use so little self-control.

(Here I judge only by your arguments, it is not an attack, just a deduction based on the very few declarations you made.

Considering the amount of bugs this game has currently, I see quicksave/load a necessity. My rule is if I fail due to my own stupidity (like forgetting solar panels, whatever) then so be it, that's fine. But if I fail because the game didn't load Kerbin upon re-entry and I fall into the black void with the blue circle, quicksave and quickload are definitely going to be used. I've done nothing wrong, Kerbin was there when I started my re-entry, why should I be forced to fail my mission because the game failed to work properly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.