First Successful Rescue Mission

aman608

Hey congrats man. That's quite the achievement.

This wasn't my first rescue mission, but a fun one: I jumped from Minmus to Kerbin on EVA (it's actually quite doable) and saved him before he reentered. He also had no RCS, but I just had to get the ship close enough so he could grab on.

My first rescue mission was when I stranded this guy on a low Minmus orbit and had to go pick him up:

http://i.imgur.com/zfUr6gD.jpg

It took a lot of RCS, but I eventually managed to get him to grab a ladder, get into the ship and return to Kerbin safely. Now I only have 4 kerbals waiting to be rescued, one of them on Gilly (who'll be rescued as soon as the launch window opens) and three on Laythe (who'll be rescued as soon as I can find a way to send a boat to pick them up).

Ah...5 days. You have lucky Kerbals. Most of my rescue missions are years after leaving them stranded :P

Congratulations on your first rescue.

I can't remember my first rescue mission, but no doubt it involved the rescue of a Kerbal who took a 1-way trip to the Mun because I couldn't get enough rocket to return back to Kerbin.

My most recent rescue however was yesterday, and involved the rescue of a Kerbal who had been stuck on the Mun for just over 23 years; I ran out of EVA propellent flying to and from the Mun arch (figured why not, I was nearby) and forgot that the rocket I had just landed had no extendable ladders and the pod was 40m above the surface - turns out you can't use "Infinite EVA fuel" without having any, and although I could've just hacked gravity and jumped the rocket would've probably fallen over.

Sent up another craft with the pod as close to the ground as possible (within jumping distance) and the rescuing Kerbal retrieved the original rocket.

A couple of pictures from said mission are below, the first being the rescue craft and the second being the thing I was rescuing; the something on the ground in the 2nd picture (top right) is the rescue lander.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yes, those are 3.75m parts. It's not a small lander or anything.

On a side note, even after leaving the Mun that rocket has enough dV to get to Eeloo and back, cutting it a little fine on the return trip. That's probably why I left it for 23 years; to have a rocket capable of doing that stranded on the Mun because I was stupid enough to run down the EVA fuel is slightly annoying :P

Congratulations on your rescue OP.

I don't remember the first one. But the couple last ones have both been at Moho. Each time I go there, I manage to get the lander back in orbit but it's then stranded without enough delta/v to reach Kerbin (Eve yes though). So I end up having to send an automated ship to dock with and refuel my stranded ship so it can make it home.

Moho hates me.

Grats on the rescue.

Hmm, my first successful rescue was a comedy of errors. 3 person Mun transfer/lander craft crashed when it bounced too hard on landing, so I launched the same vehicle to rescue the crew, I wasn't really paying attention when I made a few quick changes to the craft in the VAB so it launched with a full crew. That crashed due to my attempt to land as close as possible and hit a fuel tank from the first crash and rolled pinning the crew hatch, used RCS to wreck it but free the hatch. Then I rebuilt the damm lander with a hitchhiker can and launched the 2nd rescue attempt with one pilot. Note do not plan rescue missions when angry at one's self at 4am, I was not thinking clearly and made a few bad calls on my maneuver nodes. Result 7 Kerbals stuck in Mun orbit with zero fuel. At 6am or thereabouts made the choice that 3 hours of sleep wouldn't help improve my day so quickly tossed together a refueler mission using my 'Milk Cow' a LKO space station refueler for my tank farm. My tank farm station uses 2.5m docking clamps as does my 'Milk Cow', my Mun transfer/lander didn't. So my next mission was to be a docking adapter to allow the to ships to dock and transfer fuel. Worked like a charm, every one saved. After that mess I fell asleep and woke up with one thought running through my head.... 'why the hell didn't I send up a station core in instead of docking adapter...'

Lesson learned, that mouse pads can prevent serious concussion. :-)

Regards.

My first and so far only rescue was when Jeb put the third lunar landing mission down in a crater with too high a transverse velocity. The leading landing strut and side tank tore off and exploded, as did the ascent engine, but he was going just slow enough that the rest survived the crash - he even still had one solar panel (stowed for the landing). The problem was at that point there was no 3-man Munar lander, so the engineers had to invent one and the lift vehicle to get it there, then Doodsel had to perform a precision landing (also not tried before) to get to Jeb. Not only did they rescue him, but recovered science from the crashed mission, and set up an automated surface station. Really was a great feeling, bringing them back from the brink of disaster.

Now I'm considering playing for TAC and Deadly Reentry. Things are going to get a little bit more interesting. Well, that or Kerbals are going to get a little bit more expendable, we'll see.

Edited by brdavis
Because I clearly can *not* spell

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.