Kerbal Space App for Android!

oPyO3CJ.pngPKMj4eo.png

I'm happy to present to the KSP community the Android app I've been working on over the last several months!

Version 1.3 is finished! Download on Google Play

Version 1.3 improves the art, improves the translations, and adds Russian.

Kerbal Space App allows you to access an extensive variety of information about the planets and moons of KSP, along with the delta V required to reach orbit, land, and transfer to other bodies. It calculates each value using real authentic orbital mechanics, and allows you to tailor the settings to your skill level. The app also includes a Mission Planner feature, allowing you to select a series of planets/moons you'd like to visit, choose whether to simply orbit, land and return to orbit, or just land, and the app automatically calculates the delta V you'll need to complete your journey, each step along the way. You can access topographical and biome maps from the planet info screens, which I've found super helpful when trying to visit all the biomes to collect all zee Science. No more constant alt-tabbing!

Features:

- Extensive details about each planet/moon (swipe between them!)

- Topographical maps

- Biome maps

- Atmospheric graphs

- Mission Planner feature with swipe to delete functionality and click to edit

The app is compatible with Android devices running Ice Cream Sandwich or newer (if you still have an ancient device running Gingerbread, sorry). I do believe in actively supporting what I make, so if you spot a bug, please report it here and I'll fix it as soon as possible. Let me know which device and version of Android is experiencing the trouble. Also let me know if any of the math looks wrong. The math is calculated assuming Hohmann transfers from circular orbits and aerobraking when possible. For a transfer between a moon and a different planet, it's assumed you burn retrograde from the moon's orbit and then use the Oberth effect around the parent body to send you on your way. Arriving at another moon while skipping the planet assumes you aerobrake at the planet and set your apoapsis for an encounter with the moon. Landing around bodies with atmospheres are assumed to use parachutes, and takeoffs are calculated with the atmosphere factored in. In settings, you can choose how high you want to orbit above the minimum safe orbit (scraping the atmosphere or the tallest mountain), what sort of additional fuel margin you'd like to bring, and how efficient you foresee your inclination changes being. Note that these changes will be reflected in both the Mission Planner and the Planet Info screens. If the values look weird, check your settings before you report a bug- choosing 90% extra fuel margins will make for rather excessive figures. It's possible to beat the inclination change values I've included if you are very good and you try a polar orbit departure, and it may be possible to save deltaV using a bi-elliptic transfer or gravity assists in certain circumstances which are not modeled due to excessive complexity. Source code

Future plans that may or may not happen:

- Science descriptions for each item in the planet info screens (not everyone knows the difference between Sidereal and Synodic orbital period!)

- Aerobrake calculator. Still not sure about the math on this one. Calculus is scary.

- Parachute calculator. How many 'chutes will you need with X mass to not explode on impact?

- Drag and drop re-ordering in the Mission Planner

- Orbital Mechanics lessons?

Plans actively in development:

- Improving the science section, so you can see how much science can be gathered at each planet, and what equipment to bring to maximize your results. I plan to upgrade the Mission Planner with this info as well.

I welcome any and all constructive feedback, from UI issues to bugs to incorrect math- if it's ugly or incorrect, I want to fix it. If you have any ideas for improvement, I'd like to hear those too. I hope this app is helpful and adds to your experience playing KSP! :)

Edited by Amagi82

Can you please make one for IOS?

I have zero programming experience with iOS. You probably know as much as I do about it. That said, if anyone out there is an iOS developer, feel free to make a clone. I've linked my source code in the original post.

Isn't the values a bit exagerated? Orbit is around 4.5, transfer to mun maybe 900 m/s?

Click Settings, and slide all the values to the left for the minimum possible numbers. You're right though- I think the default is too high. I'll lower it in the next version.

Version 1.02 is now available! It fixes a bug that causes a crash when you click outside the MissionDestination window and takes care of a couple other minor issues.

Edited by Amagi82

• 3 weeks later...
Found a problem with the mission planner. When selecting landing ONLY on any planet that doesn't have an atmosphere it doesn't provide and intergrate the delta-v needed to land.

You're right, thanks! I'll get to work on fixing that. I'm working on Spanish, French, and German translations at the moment, so I should roll out an update in the next week or so.

Did you actually trade in your android phone? If not (and assuming it's running 4.0+), there's no reason you couldn't download it with wifi and run it. Or you could pick up a cheap tablet - I set my tablet next to my monitor with the biome maps up whenever I need to do some Mun/Minmus science. :)

When i search google play for "kerbal space app" on my android tablet, it finds many ksp related apps but not "kerbal space app".

Google Play Filters out results for apps that are not compatible with your device.

What version of Android are you using? Settings -> About (at bottom) -> Android version

I suspect you are running 3.x, honeycomb, which should be upgradeable to 4.x. Honeycomb introduced a lot of new features for tablets, and the vast majority of tablets were summarily upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich, which fixed a lot of minor issues.

Your version must be at least 4.0 to be compatible with Kerbal Space App, which includes approximately 85% of the market. There were a lot of changes that happened at that time, and supporting earlier versions would have been difficult and time consuming. In another year, this number should be up over 95%, so it's not worth spending a lot of time on something that's being phased out anyway.

I suspect you are running 3.x, honeycomb, which should be upgradeable to 4.x.

It is v4.2.1.

edit:

Turns out i can use my desktop pc to install apps on my android tablet. Following the play store link in OP, it tells me your app is incompatible with my device (Asus transformer TF300T) even though it is running the correct version of Android :(

Edited by rkman

It is v4.2.1.

edit:

Turns out i can use my desktop pc to install apps on my android tablet. Following the play store link in OP, it tells me your app is incompatible with my device (Asus transformer TF300T) even though it is running the correct version of Android :(

Now I'm really confused. What country are you in? I did restrict it from a few countries because I was annoyed at getting negative feedback for not having a version in their language. If you want, you can send me a PM with your email, and I will personally email you the .apk.

*edit* problem solved- it was a country permission.

Edited by Amagi82

what a neat little app, i love it!

is there any way to change the language of apps on android?

my phone is german, but i'd prefer the app to run in english since the game is english too and your german translation is somewhat.. well.. interresting :D

It may be possible to include a setting that forces the app to use another language, but I'm told it can be buggy. I'll experiment around with it and see what I can do.

I only speak English, so sorry for the odd translations - I'm kinda at the mercy of Google translate unless I dump a bunch of money I don't have on professional translators, which, for a free app, makes no sense. Anything I can fix? Anything hilarious? lol

And Awaras, I just added Serbia. Should be up shortly. I was getting people leaving bad reviews because I didn't have it translated into every conceivable language, so I limited it to countries that had official languages covered by the current languages. Feels kinda damned-if-I-do, damned-if-I-don't on this front. Frustrating when people leave 1 star reviews because you don't have your app translated into perfect Macedonian.

if i were in your shoes, i'd leave those haters be, save me the trouble/work and just go with english. most forum users willl rate you 5 stars for your effort anyway :D

then again, i am not... and i understand that those ratings must be frustrating for you.

Lovely little tool but I have one suggestion. Can you make it sohave the sliders switch to kilometers when they are near the high end of the bar. I like having nice round numbers and not having to look at 5 zeros. Adding comma seperators would also help greatly.

I think I like having those in meters, but I'll switch it up and see how it looks. The comma separation is a good idea. I'll add it to the list.

*update* I tried having it switch to km when you get above 10,000, and it looks weird, so I'm gonna stick with meters. I did add comma separation though- that looks great. Thanks for the idea! I think I'm gonna work on the forced language thing now and roll out an update when I get that working.

Edited by Amagi82

Version 1.2 is now up, which lets you override the default language in Settings. It also adds commas to break up large numbers, and improves the Spanish translations (courtesy of Jorge Sierra).

The plan for version 1.3 is to revamp the Science Multiplier section.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science

I'm considering including max possible science for each planet, with and without a Kerbal, along with the altitudes necessary to get atmospheric and low orbit science. Or perhaps the total amount of science available from the surface, from the atmosphere, from low orbit, and from high orbit. I don't think most people care about the multipliers nearly as much as how much science you can actually get out of each planet/moon.