ksp takes too much space on hard disk

Hey guys I am kinda in need of help . Ksp is a relatively fun game just for that fact that it takes up to much space on my harddisk . I know I am the only one experiencing this as I seen youtuber record 100 of episodes and they dun seem to be having any problems . Everytime I save my progress it takes away at least 1.2gb away . I bought the game via kerbal and it came in the winrar format . Do I need to extract it out or smething ? I hope a moderator or admin or any person who comes along this post .

I have problems imagining how many ships you would need for your persistence to consume 1.2 GB. But it might help to go to Tracking Station and delete some debris or ships you don't need anymore.

Even if you don't delete anything, that saved state should not increase - the persistence file gets overwritten, previous persistence is replaced by a new one, previous quicksave is replaced by a new one. Only named quicksaves may be stacking up but then you can just open your KSP/saves/<your_save> directory and delete any quicksaves you no longer need. Or pack them using your winrar or 7zip.

Another thing taking space and acumulating might be screenshots. You may want to check size and contents of your KSP/screenshots directory and eventually remove any files you don't need.

In general, try to open your KSP directory and check size of individual files and directories. If any of them is very large (particularly saves or screenshots) you may need to enter and clean them up a bit.

Do I need to extract it out or something ?

Oh Jeez. YES! Extract KSP to your favorite directory (I have mine in C:/Games) and then just play from the .exe If you do that then you can download mods and things.

Edited by Taki117
Added Quote

Definitely not normal behavior. Can you clarify the following:

When you save your progress, how do you do it exactly? It almost sounds as if you're making another complete copy of KSP instead of just saving in-game.

Have you not extracted KSP from the zip file it came in? It sounds like that from your post, you definitely should extract it and play from the new location.

Oh Jeez. YES! Extract KSP to your favorite directory (I have mine in C:/Games) and then just play from the .exe If you do that then you can download mods and things.

This is an amazingly good point for this issue. When you run the game from the rar file, winrar extracts everything into a temporary folder. If you're doing it multiple times, it could very well be making multiple directories. You will have to search for these directories, and remove them. Then proceed onto the rest of what Taki said.

If you bought it off the site, you might also download the installer version instead. I'm not sure where exactly does it install KSP for you but I believe it is pre-configured to a place where it will be able to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.