Lander legs placement

I\'ve become subject to a blinding flash of stupidity.

Are the lander legs too short or am I scewing something up? They don\'t seem able to extend to a point past the engine\'s nozzle when placed at the absolute lowest on the preceding stage. What am I doing wrong here?

I\'ve become subject to a blinding flash of stupidity.

Are the lander legs too short or am I scewing something up? They don\'t seem able to extend to a point past the engine\'s nozzle when placed at the absolute lowest on the preceding stage. What am I doing wrong here?

They are too short.

Are the lander legs too short or am I scewing something up?

They\'re too short. Apparently there was a problem when the model was exported; it should be fixed in the release version.

But as you can see, the legs are far too weak to withstand even a very gentle landing.

They are. And, certainly, now they are pretty useless until you are going to use them as a decoration (Sputnik-style).

Cheerz

Shaun

They\'re too short. Apparently there was a problem when the model was exported; it should be fixed in the release version.

Too bad they didn\'t fix them. Adding a smaller engine was a weak solution, as now you can only use the legs with one of the three available engines. If you want to use them with another engine you\'re back to using radial decouplers or extra fuel tanks to get them low enough, not much better than using winglets imho.

It\'s really a shame, because the legs are attractive and nicely animated. I can\'t fathom the reasoning behind requiring a special engine to use them, it limits the flexibility in designing landers with no upside that I can tell.

The radial tank solution isn\'t that bad - you don\'t need to be as stingy with your descent burn, and you don\'t have to waste fuel carrying your landing legs on the return trip. Besides, the new landing engine makes it a lot easier to fine-tune your braking thrust.

My typical lander design uses three drop-tanks, each of which bears two legs, and is pretty easy to land with.