[1.0+] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines etc. v1.2.0 (May 6)

BahamutoD

so, has anyone else run into the infinite acceleration bug with this bug? Was on Kerbin with it and it just started moving faster and faster. I shut sticky legs off, and it went even faster, blowing itself up at 144m/s. made me laugh, but its still an issue, especially when they want to move on their own.

so, has anyone else run into the infinite acceleration bug with this bug? Was on Kerbin with it and it just started moving faster and faster. I shut sticky legs off, and it went even faster, blowing itself up at 144m/s. made me laugh, but its still an issue, especially when they want to move on their own.

Maybe try using the brakes, it's what I do, with the stuff this thing does I personally could care less about the fact that it moves on it's own.

The issue there is when you try to steer, the legs all turn the same direction, so you hardly turn at all, instead strafing diagonally more than actually turning.

I only noticed this when I was using RCS and I had modified the thing to have SAS and Torgue.

Don't know why people want a bigger one, just use a couple of them under your thing.

http://i.imgur.com/gK3xRuM.png

Can I ask where the bits and pieces above the legs (like what appears to be the somewhat hexagonal vehicle body thing...?) come from? Or is the body of the vehicle made from stuff that I'm just not recognizing?

VERY nice mod. This one has tons of potential for fun.

That said, I noticed one inconvenient issue: The most obvious way to build with this part is to have a probe core facing upward. And that works great. But if you control via a probe-core that's attached radially, and is facing in the direction of the probe's usual forward, suddenly the forward/backward controls act like they're reversed. Here's an example of the radial probe-core placement: http://i.imgur.com/k7aXqzQ.jpg

If you're wondering why one would want to attach radial probe cores in such a direction, it's nice because the rover's navball faces you toward the horizon on flat ground (rather than pointing the navball toward the sky). And this is VERY useful for making it easier to see your heading while on steeply sloped ground (and this part seems especially suited for slopes). If you still don't get why this is useful, compare the navballs in these two screenshots of a crawler on a slope: http://imgur.com/a/mGhOX

In the first linked image, I'm controlling from the radial probe-core on the front (not the big stacked probe core on top). The navball shows me facing North, but when I hit the forward key (W) it starts moving backwards. When this happens my heading lines up with the retrograde marker, which is pretty counterintuative.

But it's not a huge issue since one can always stop the crawler, switch to the radial probe core to assess the current heading, and then switch back to the stacked probe-core to resume moving. It just involves lots of starting and stopping.

Note: Edited my post to add more screenshots to illustrate the issue better.

Edited by Entropius

Can I ask where the bits and pieces above the legs (like what appears to be the somewhat hexagonal vehicle body thing...?) come from? Or is the body of the vehicle made from stuff that I'm just not recognizing?

The body is a rover mining storage tank form RoverDudes Modular Kolonization mod.

The issue there is when you try to steer, the legs all turn the same direction, so you hardly turn at all, instead strafing diagonally more than actually turning.

Can you lock them like wheels?

One thing... is there any way to add a couple of lines of code that says, in effect:

in control scan loop, w/ legs attached and in use,

If (vesselwide electric charge == 0, Brakes == False) {

Brakes = True; }

continue control scan loop.

This would kill the legs' ability to keep right on trucking w/o electric charge... which is possible for a wheeled (or even tracked) vehicle, but quite impossible for an articulated leg setup.

Other than that, love the little bugger.

Edited by VaporTrail

I love the animated radial engines.

Could you add an animated RCS port with 45 Degree thrust for radial and parallel to surface for forward backwards? This would make for a great arrangement for docking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.