[1.0+] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines etc. v1.2.0 (May 6)

BahamutoD

Any chance we could see a fold-a-way jet engine? (For those of us wanting pure atmospheric VTOLs) I do like the idea of retro-rockets that fold and hide nicely though, fully enjoyed those suckers.

Could you do orbital enignes that would retract into a (1.25m and 2.5m) heatshield?
Could you make some retractable Ion engines next?

Added to wish list.

docking rings?

The old docking rings I had were ugly; I'll probably make new ones since they were really useful.

This is fantastic! is it possible to bind A&D to strafe; Q&E to turn?

If it's possible, I was thinking of using the translation keys for strafing.

Any chance of a hollow upper shell half?

I'm already planning on doing that :).

Don't know why people want a bigger one, just use a couple of them under your thing.

http://i.imgur.com/gK3xRuM.png

Did that actually work? I didn't write any code to handle placement of the crawler in different places. I added this to the todo list.

But if you control via a probe-core that's attached radially, and is facing in the direction of the probe's usual forward, suddenly the forward/backward controls act like they're reversed.

Yup, known issue. Added to the todo list.

Can you lock them like wheels?

I wrote custom steering code so no, not yet.

kill the legs' ability to keep right on trucking w/o electric charge...

Good point; added to todo list.

Any chance we could see a fold-a-way jet engine? (For those of us wanting pure atmospheric VTOLs)

You mean like the F-35's front vtol engine? Or the one in the back that folds down?

As for the requests for larger bases or attempts at tweakscaling, there's no support for scaling right now. I can see about having the animation/torque/sticky feet stuff scale in a way that would work with tweakscale, but making a new base designed to be larger from the beginning would be better. It would take a while though and I still need to fix issues with the one we already have.

The issue with the crawler sometimes running away on its own: I thought it had to do with sticky legs, but someone mentioned that turning sticky legs off made it run away faster(?) so I'll see what I can do to make the legs act more like legs and less like wheels (so they don't move unless you're pressing on the keys).

Question: Do the hitboxes on these also change when retracted into the vessel? I'm curious as this hasn't really been mentioned yet and I am ASSUMING it would do so, but haven't the Kerbal hookspah to attempt jousting with where the hitbox should be between two vessels (at least not yet).

Edited by Quiana
Kin haz grammar now?

WOW! These look fantastic. Can you make some landing legs that fold into the body, kinda like the Comms DTS-M1. Deadly reentry forces me to keep things hidden in a narrow silhouette which usually means I have to make something that doesn't look all that good. Ive been pining for landing legs that would allow me to keep things looking sleek.

Having multiple crawlers did work, as long as they were facing the same direction.

Hi everyone, I rarely post on the forum and I just had to stop by and say THANK YOU!! :-) I tried multiple crawlers as well and they walk straight ok but when it comes to turning they stumble! I had 4 carrying a gigantic Nova punch 2.5 Fuel tank and it looked funny as heck! :-) I am using it in my career and all is fine except the thrust vectoring won't work on the mini jets, do I have to unlock thrust vectoring separate from the engines themselves? Thanks again for this awesome mod!

EDIT: I saw a video of someone else who seems to be having the same issue, for some reason everything works fine except the thrust vectoring. Also I was using a crawler on the Mun and it seems they are prone to spontaneous rapid disassembly! I was walking along one second at 10 m/s then flipping away at 200 m/s with legs going so fast the screen just vibrates wildly until I use time warp to kill it's... seizure! lol Very fun tho!

Edited by Eddie Rod

The crawler is very cool, and I understand why everybody is so excited about it... but honestly, I'm much more interested in all the spaceplane parts. :)

I'm seeing a small issue with the retractable RCS ports. They don't actually fit flush to the surface; they stick out just slightly too far. Other than that, they work great. I love that they extend whenever the RCS is turned on. Much more user friendly than having to assign and remember an action group.

Any hope of a Real Fuels config for the engines?

I'm seeing a small issue with the retractable RCS ports. They don't actually fit flush to the surface; they stick out just slightly too far. Other than that, they work great.

Actually I think that's a problem with whatever they're mounted on... These are the curved recessed RCS, rotated 90 degrees from the default, relative to the radial axis...

screenshot99_zps9c4c2d5d.png

On the stock 1.25m fuel tank...

Stock 1.25m RCS tank...

Procedural Tank in 1.25m...

Stock 2.5m BOT...

respectively.

As you can see, the bigger the parent part, the better they tend to fit, and the stock fuel tanks tend to have smaller "visible" surfaces than what their radius would suggest. (I think that's colliders being 1.25m with the model being slightly underradius... Not a modder so the technical terms might be escaping me.)

Edited by VaporTrail

As you can see, the bigger the parent part, the better they tend to fit, and the stock fuel tanks tend to have smaller "visible" surfaces than what their radius would suggest. (I think that's colliders being 1.25m with the model being slightly underradius... Not a modder so the technical terms might be escaping me.)

Exactly. Because of this, I wanted to make a mod where you can adjust the attachment depth of parts so you can make them fit perfectly anywhere... But I think one exists already. Also, sorry for having them 90degrees off. That was just sloppy :P

Real fuels: sure, but as pointed out before, I'm rubbish at balancing lol. Perhaps a volunteer with some real fuels knowledge could help?

Eddie, it hasn't happened to me before but I'll look into it. Hopefully other fixes I make will prevent it from happening by coincidence (limiting the speed)

Edited by BahamutoD

This is lovely. What an original mod idea! Having had a quick look through the source and part.cfg, I'd love to see the Unity rig for the critter?

Brilliant work.

It's just as messy and complicated as the source and cfg! I'll post a screenshot when I get home later.

A surface locomotion device that's even more all-terrain than the RBI tracks are, AND it does the whole "does whatever a spider-tank does" routine?!?

Dude, you've out-done yourself, yet again. First those drills for Exoplanetary Launchpads, now this? Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Just got done making an ion-powered hopper for Minmus that should be easily able to be retrofitted with it as well, which is more great news for the already tiny fuel bill those ion engines rack up. Of course, the legs probably take less energy to run, so I'll probably be able to make headway during the nights on minmus. That's a welcome ability.

Oh, and the pop-out engines and thrusters will be great for when docking space gets tight at my stations, as well as not getting knocked off of landers quite so easily. Not that I have rough landings or anything, just sometimes I end up having a very smooth landing.... right on top of the rest of my base!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.